Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TH-D7A/E Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TH-D7A/E
Kenwood TH-D7A/E Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $429
Description: 2m/70cm dual band handie talkie w/TNC for packet and APRS
More info: http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur.html

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TH-D7A/E.

VA3KS Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2001 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Cool Rig!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am very pleased with my D7. I read the reviews before buying the rig and was concern about the comments about the fragile nature of the HT? I purchased the Kenwood orange coloured canvas case with it to protect the device and it is holding up fine during a few camping trips.
The audio reports are excellent. The APRS/packet fuction is flawless! I have used with rig as a demonstration of ham radio with Scouts and they were very impressed.

KG6GOK Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2001 23:32 Send this review to a friend
A GREAT RADIO  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Kenwood th-d7 is a excellent radio. It has a built in TNC makes APRS easier and has a nice LCD display. The lighting is also good. This radio can do 5 watts.

INITZERO Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2001 10:53 Send this review to a friend
Expensive, Delicate and Totally Awesome  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I finally got my ticket because of APRS. I didn't have a lot of
money to spend but, for sure, I wanted 2M, 440 and packet for
APRS. Also, since I could only afford one radio, it would have
to be an HT so I could use it everywhere.

I looked at a number of combinations involving ultra-cheap
transceivers with cheap TNCs and whatnot. In just about every
reasonable combination, I was near in price to the D7A(g).
Everyone I spoke to loved the D7. So, I bit the bullet and
bought the beast.

It was expensive; about a third more I wanted to pay. I
rationalized it by saying that it was self-contained. I operate
bicycle mobile and it was the best way to keep the package to a
minimum size, weight and number of connections needed.

I haven't regretted spending the extra cash.

Before the D7, I had quite a bit of experience with Motorola
commercial radios (MX, STX, MTX, etc.) but had never so much
as picked up an HT. Let me confess now that I didn't read the
instructions and was leaving on a 2,700-mile road trip two days
after I bought the radio.

While it took me just 15 minutes to get the radio up and running
with my Garmin Legend GPS, it took nearly 300 miles to figure out
most of the radio's features and I was 600 miles into the trip
before I really felt comfortable with the radio. It was much
simpler to use than I had expected. The menus are laid-out well.

Aside from the expense, I'm a bit disappointed with the feel of
the D7 in comparison to the Motorola equipment I'm used to
working with. I can take an MX, STX or HT750 and fling it across
the room into a cement wall and it will still be fully-functional.
Most of the time there isn't even cosmetic damage. I'm afraid to
toss my D7 into the back seat of my car for fear I'll lose a knob
or scratch the display. In Kenwood's defense, I haven't found a
piece of amateur gear yet (for any price) that is as rugged as
Motorola hardware.

As a side note, if you do get the D7, G71A or any of Kenwood's
recent radios, make sure to pick up a copy of WA3HRL's Link700
software (http://www.wa3hrl.com/). It will assist in programming
and operating your radio. Link700 is a far better piece of
software than Kenwood's own offering (which is $60) and it's
free for the time being. (Once it's out of beta, it'll probably
cost a few bucks but I bet it will still be less expensive and
better performing than Kenwood's.)

The D7 is not for everyone. There are many less expensive
dual-band HTs out there (the Kenwood TH-G71A is great performer
and feels solid) but if you want APRS or a TNC inside your HT,
this is the only way to go.

Matt (k4mls)

K9DFM Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2001 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Great feature packed HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently picked up the TH-D7G at a local ham-fest. What an HT! I have had many HT's all which have performed as expected. This HT has surpassed all of them by far! It's receive is far better than others I have had. I am just getting into packet and this is the HT for that! I am really impressed with this radio. Kenwood did a fine job. The construction is somewhat "fragile" if I may, The finish may not hold up as to let's say a Yaesu VX-150 as far as handling daily use but in a new soft case I am hoping it holds up. It is somewhat pricey but with all the features I can see why. I am somewhat unhappy with prices of accessories but I guess this is typical from most of the big 3 mfgr's. So far it has performed better than expected. I think you will like this one if you are considering a dual band HT with lots of features. 73 to all.

KD5MQB Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2001 14:31 Send this review to a friend
The Best Radio Ever  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Best handheld I have ever owned. I purchased the 9.6 volt 1100mah battery from maha and I use the battery saver and get about three days between charges. This radio offers APRS right out the box with a GPS port And computer port. Kenwood has really upped the anty for other radio manufacturers. I would recommend this radio to everyone.

VK2YX Rating: 3/5 Oct 8, 2000 23:25 Send this review to a friend
A good unit except for the Battery  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i recently purchased the new Kenwood H/H as I was keen to go packet and aprs mobile. I think the radio is very good and the menu system is also very intuiative. What i wasnt ready for was the nicad battery pack being only 600ma. Well unfortunately it doesnt last too long, something thats pretty annoying. It does have a side socket that you can plug in a 13.8vdc lead which is a real benefit. Overall it really is a good hand held SPECIFICALLY if you want mobile data.

N3SKO Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2000 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Neat Toy!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I primarily use this HT in packet mode. Works great. Also use the Maha snap-in amplifier mobile
mount - plenty of power.

All you need is this HT and a laptop to access a BBS. Used mine last year in a Y2K exercise to
access a MARS BBS. Pulled up in the Armory parking lot and sat the HT and an HP Jornada on the hood of the truck. Three minutes and I was sending traffic. (I was next to a Guard microwave truck - you should have see the young LT's face when I sent his status report to HQ on an HT! :-)

Super radio.

VA2ZAC Rating: 4/5 Aug 21, 2000 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, but fragile  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had my DH-D7A for about 4 months, and so far very happy with it. I purchased the SMC-34 Speaker/Mike which comes in very handy. The only problem I find with this radio is that it's too darn fragile. I've already broken one of the clips that holds the battery in on the back right side, however it still seems to hold the battery in. The front panel I'm also noticing is very fragile. The display is already all scratched up, and the left MHz and right CALL buttons are starting to wear away. I usually have it with me at all times, and bang it up quite a bit, but so far it's holding together. Just hope I don't have to buy another one.

KC5MFA Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2000 01:26 Send this review to a friend
Only one gripe...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this radio at the Huntsville, AL hamfest in August of 1999 and have had a ball with it! Thank you, Kenwood, for making APRS easy to get started with. I had the radio upgraded to the (G) model in Dayton this year (thanks again, Kenwood!). My one gripe? You can't encode and decode PL tones at the same time. You can encode OR decode, but not both. I regularly use my two Kenwood TM-733 mobiles as cross band repeaters and use PL encode and decode to keep the 440 link clean. I guess that having the TNC and APRS firmware means you have to give up something. I can live without simultaneous encode and decode to have the digital stuff. I looked at new dual band ht's for a long time before finding one that I thought could replace my old friend the Yaesu FT-530. I still have the 530, but it's now the back-up ht. The D7 is a fantastic radio.

KC2EEK Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2000 00:33 Send this review to a friend
Kenwood TH-D7A - Nice radio, IMHO!  Time owned: unknown months
Certainly a nice radio. This replaces my old Yaesu FT-50, certainly durable but the egg-shaped nature of that rig makes it a difficult carry. Sure was nice of Kenwood to include a submini stereo connector to get you started with either the TNC or GPS interface.. note to others wiring their own serial interface: the manual has the TXD and RXD lines reversed, took me a while to figure out why the TNC didn't work right :) Audio is somewhat weak compared to the FT-50, TX audio seems OK according to reports. Get a case for this one, the plastic covering the LCD is exposed to scratches and such. Overall, a great radio, and excellent to have the TNC built into everything!
73 de KC2EEK