Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | CommCat Mobile Help

Reviews Summary for CommCat Mobile
CommCat Mobile Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $FREE
Description: CommCat Mobile is a spot management, radio control, and logging app for the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. (Radio control requires the CommCat Windows logging program.) Download from http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/commcat- mobile/id386497080?mt=8
More info: http://www.commcat.com

You can write your own review of the CommCat Mobile.

ZL3HA Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2012 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Best in class just got better!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The decision to install this free App on your iPhone or iPad and configure it with CommCat or HRD should be a no-brainer! I have been using it with CommCat for a number of months and have now upgraded to v2.0 which has just been released in the Apple App store. This is a significant upgrade to a very well thought out and very fully featured App. Now you can easily enjoy your radio from anywhere. Even when just elsewhere in the house its great to have the DX spot push notifications coming through and to be able to quickly select the spot, have the radio tuned to the frequency and be listening for and calling that much needed country! Phone or CW. Then log it! All while away from your shack. As others have said before me, this is a really great App. If I didn't already have one, I think I would actually buy an iDevice just for the pleasure and fun of using CommCat Mobile.

N6MQL Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2012 09:48 Send this review to a friend
New Version 1.3 upgrades makes a world of difference.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used to use the old Commcat Mobile version 1.2 before, I thought that it was as good as it could get. Yet I was amazed by how many changes have been made to improve the use of this new version 1.3! Before it didn't do everything my Elecraft K3 was capable of doing, like Sending CW through CAT control. or making some changes to my rig (more about that later) But with this new version and the newly updated Commcat running on the shack computer they've fixed all of that. To take full advantage of this Mobile program you should really get the Commcat program that runs on your PC in the shack (although it's not required)... For me it made a big difference. I can now type directly into the keyboard on Commcat Mobile and send CW via CAT to my K3, no more interface boxes, just Serial Control!
With this new version I can also receive DX Push notifications from Commcat running at my home station. Out of no where I hear in Morse Code "DX" on my iphone and I know that something good is waiting for me to work using Commcat Mobile! With the new Direct Macro control in this version, via Commcat on my shack computer I can now actually control Volume, RF Power, turn on and off my Noise Blanker and Noise reducer, switch antennas, move my RIT up and down, I can even power up my rig!. The possibilities seem limitless! I don't work much SSB, but I see that now there's a dedicated button in the main window that allows me to Key my rig when I want to talk, that makes TX a LOT easier than having to use the old macro T/R button. Plus, it frees up yet another macro for me to Name and program with whatever else I want to use it for. I used to be a little worried that I may fat finger the jog wheel to far when tuning in a station, but now with the new +/- freq. buttons I know that I'm moving only the exact amount of Hz that I have the tuning speed set to! I'm not sure if it's just me, but this version seems to move a lot faster between the Spot menu (DX CLUSTER) and the tuner interface. Another great feature about this new version is, if I forget to select a rig to control or leave with Commcat controlling the wrong rig in my shack, this new version will actually allow me to automatically select up to 4 different rigs in the shack that I want to control..
The Logging on this version works SOOOO much better than HRD. I used to use the HRD remote station, but I could never log anything while out on the road I used to have to hand enter it all in again when I got home.. With this new Commcat Mobile version, I can log contacts, and then when I get home, using Commcat LIVE (another option of Commcat) I can SYNC my logs from the Commcat Mobile app up with my Main log in the shack! No more having to hand type everything in again... Plus with Commcat Mobile you get free QRZ type lookups (or if you have an account with QRZ you can actually use QRZ.com).
With all the new features I'm more stoked than ever to work my rig while out in the car waiting for the wife to get stuff done, or just hanging out where ever. I've already been told by my wife to stop making QSOs while we were at the dinner table out at the restaurant..LOL. The only draw back to this program is, I would like to see some kind of audio interface built in so that I don't have to rely on SKYPE anymore. Sure it's free, but I would love to get away from having two applications run at the same time. Otherwise, I'm really happy with what I've seen so far.

W6NSA Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2011 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Impressive App  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This iPhone App is truly remarkable.

With Howard's handholding I have my iPhone connected to my IC-7200 at home over WiFi, on the road over 3G and at the office over WiFi.

- No HF antennas allowed at work?
- No HF antenna on your car?
- No problem!

With CommCat Mobile you have a portable HF station when you have your iPhone or iPad with you.

WB3BIQ Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2011 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Ham Power right in your I-Touch 4/I-Phone 4  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My latest digital adventure was to get the CommCat Mobile CAT control software interface up and running on the Apple I-Touch 4. With this setup I am now able to control my Radio CommCat from the I-Touch over my WiFi LAN or any remote WAN. I can make SSB QSO's, change bands, modes, log QSO's and much more. This is an amazing program written by Howard Nurse, W6HN. Howard was very helpful and communicative to answer my questions to get this up and running. The new I-Touch 4/I-Phone 4 is needed to be able to multitask and run a separate version of Skype and CommCat Mobile at the same time to communicate with the Radio-Computer Skype and CommCat. I use CAT control on my TS-50S through the USB Kenwood Digimaster interface available fron Neil, G4ZLP in the UK. This is all that is needed to CAT-control the TS-50S perfectly. It does take a little patience and perseverance to get all the settings in place, but the documentation help file is very thorough. First successful LSB QSO was on 40 meters with Jim, WB8ZGM near Nashville, TN, even with noisy band conditions! Then,With the press of one button the QSO data was logged automatically and saved on the onboard logbook! Amazing. I have logged two more SSB QSO's since.

One major obstacle in using CommCat mobile over a remote WAN was in setting up Port Forwarding in my router. It was discovered that my Windstream Speedstrem DSL modem was also a router/modem that conflicted with setting up the commport in my main router. Hence, I had two routers conflcting. Howard's tech support really excelled here to get me straightened out. Now I can use any remote WAN to control my ham station. After the QSO and by pressing one button, the QSO data is logged automatically and saved on the onboard logbook! Amazing!

For the ham on the go that likes to have his complete hamshack in an I-Touch/I-phone, this app rules!

Rick, WB3BIQ

WB2HNP Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2010 07:39 Send this review to a friend
You Gotta Get It!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having an iPhone is a 21st century wonder, but having the CommCat Mobile App is a gift from the Gods! The interface is very easy to use, sinmple to set up, and a pleasure to use! I find myself wanting to check the spot list throughout the day and it makes me want to quit work early and head to the shack...luckily, this app lets you work all the DX you want, anywhere you want! You gotta have it!

K6ANP Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2010 16:54 Send this review to a friend
This program is FUN!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm using this app on my iPhone. It is easy to install and setup the various options. It is very intuitive no big learning curve. I've made several CW and SSB contact via the iphone without any problems.

This app is definitely a great show and tell item for your next ham radio coffee gathering or club meeting.