Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-201 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-201
Icom IC-201 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2m all mode analog base rig
More info: http://www.icomclassic.com

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-201.

DO1ANT Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2004 09:14 Send this review to a friend
old-timer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So, only KU4QD has written down his expiriences
with the icom ic-201.
It is a pity that you can find this transceiver, more often in museums than in shacks.
I have got this wonderful tx from an Old Man
who didnt need it any more, so he gave it to me.
In my opinion this is a very, very good transceiver for operating on 2m SSB and CW.
You can use it for FM, too but for FM I have another exellent Transceiver.
So generally its is a top tx, but I think about
selling it, because I want to buy a good
hand-held tx, for example Yaesu VX-7R.
Maybe sb knows the *actual* price for this rig.

73 de do1ant, Greetings from Germany,Bochum

...Sorry for my bad english...

KU4QD Rating: 4/5 Jan 14, 2002 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Very decent for a '70s rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I see nobody else has written a review, so I guess I should even though it's been a couple of years since I had one of these. I'd still have it, but a collector offered me a totally ridiculous amount of money for it, and, well... it wasn't made of gold :)

The IC-201 was Icom's first 2M all mode base rig, at least in the U.S. It dates from the early '70s. The rig only covered 144-146MHz, which is fine if your interest is strictly SSB/CW. I think that's why so few ended up here. The rig does do FM, but receiver offset required a kit from the factory.

The IC-201 was an analog rig, similar to the Kenwood TS-700A or Yaesu FT-221, but a little bit smaller. Like those rigs the IC-201 had a very decent receiver, though the audio seemed to be lacking presence and favored the high end. Transmit power was 10W, and I got good audio reports consistently. The analog dial was easy to calibrate and reasonably accurate--certainly better than the IC-202 portable of the same era. The display was quite pretty if that matters to you.

There were no bells or whistles, which you would expect from a rig that old. There was no CW filter, but on 2M that rarely matters. The rig has pretty much been reduced to collectors status, which is a pity. It performs as well as its competitors of the same era and the relatively simple design should make it relatively easy to keep running as they age out. All in all, if you find one in good shape at a decent price and are aware of its limitations you can't go too wrong.