Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Jetstream JTPS28M Help

Reviews Summary for Jetstream JTPS28M
Jetstream JTPS28M Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Adjustable 9-15VDC. 28 Amp Surge and 25 Amp Continuous at 13.8 Vdc. Lighted dual meters: volt-meter and amp-meter. Five way binding post for higher power devices and cigarette lighter socket for up to 7A accessories. Automatic shutoff if more than 30A drawn. Internal cooling fan with "fan on" LED. Switchable AC input voltage, 110 or 220 Vac. AC line fuse (5 amps). 5.75" x 4.5" x 7", 4 lbs.
More info: http://www.jetstream-usa.com/jtps28m.shtml.

You can write your own review of the Jetstream JTPS28M.

WK2X Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2014 07:19 Send this review to a friend
Good little PSU  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought one of these because my Astron RS-20S couldn't handle my new Kenwood when running full power on FM, or could the home-brew linear supply I had that was supposed to deliver 30+ Amps!

The Jetstream supply is nice and small, and quieter than the other two, even with the fan active. The meters are a nice touch, and their lighting is a nice bright blue that I find pleasing.

The supply delivers plenty of current for my radio without so much as a hiccup.

What's really cool, though, is that switching to this PSU, I have seen several birdies I used to have throughout the HF bands disappear! That's right, folks, this one generates LESS HF interference than an Astron supply, for less than half the size / weight, and for a great price.

As long as it continues to function this well, I would definitely recommend this and buy another one if I needed to.

K0UC Rating: 4/5 Nov 26, 2013 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Good Power Supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nice little power supply with good features...lighted V and A meters, "cigarette" outlet, variable voltage.

N4KC wrote: "Only issue is the fuse that installs at the AC plug on the back sometimes does not make good connection."

After 5 years, I just had mine stop working...sure enough it was the fuse issue. Bent the holder tabs so they were a little tighter to hold the fuse and we're back on the air. Thanks to N4KC.

Would give it a 5 if not for that. Could be frustrating to a new ham. Was frustrating to me after 30+ years. :) OH..and NO schematic available that I've found.

KC9YFM Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2013 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent PSU  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this power supply for quite a few months now. I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. I got the most recent model that has both meters on one window pane and a blue LED back light. I remember hearing that a lot of people had problems with the incandescent back lights burning out really quickly, but LEDs basically last forever so that's not a worry. The PSU provides absolutely unwavering DC current, and the switching circuitry doesn't make any noticeable RF interference. The amperage needle is very accurate and responds very quickly. I really like how you can control the voltage. I actually set the PSU a little past 13.8 volts *sly grin* because it seems to give my TS-430s radio a little more umph.

The fan on this unit is extremely quiet and even set at full voltage, you can barely notice it. The only potential problem I can think of is that the fan doesn't seem to increase speed based on the internal temperature of the unit. It only increases speed based on what voltage you set the unit to. I don't know if that is a problem or not but it seemed a little strange to me. Regardless, I haven't had any overheating problems even with 100% duty cycle modes.

The case is a very solid metal and it feels like it's very robust. Rubber footings on the bottom keep it from sliding around and scratching whatever surface you have it on. I actually haven't tried out the 12v socket plug (car type plug) but I'm sure it works fine. You can use it for various radio accessories which is nice.

Overall I'm very pleased with the PSU. You can't go wrong with if you get the newest models as it seems that they've ironed out most of the problems that people had before. I highly recommend it and quite honestly I cannot think of a single reason to pick an Astron over this. A lot of the Astrons don't have the nice big meter displays and usually you have to buy one of the more expensive ones to get that. Nothing I can really say I hate about this PSU. It's very very good and has served me well.

73's
K9LTC

ZL2KE Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2012 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer, no problems  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This unit powers my FT-857D and a few small accessories. It was shipped from Ohio all the way to New Zealand in 'satisfactory' (but not the best) packaging and it survived the shipment 100% so this suggests a good build quality. As for details, see AK4SM's positive comments below as I agree. For the price and the nice large meters, this PS is a winner.

WP4OEK Rating: 4/5 Dec 13, 2012 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nice little Power Supply. I'm using it with my Icom 208H. Fan is quiet, light tubes blew up 2 months since purchase but thats no problem.

AK4SM Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2012 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Equipment  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned this power supply for a year. It is used to power a Kenwood TS-590S 100W transceiver. This power supply is rock solid providing unwavering 13.8 VDC. I have not detected any RFI on the TS-590S and a RF Space SDR-IQ for the entire HF frequency band. The power supply is used in close proximity to the TS-590S, SDR-IQ , an antenna tuner, and a desktop computer, monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse which are used to control the TS-950S and SDR-IQ. There is no fan noise even when the transceiver is running at 100W.

N4KC Rating: 4/5 Aug 2, 2012 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Good power supply  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use mine to power my FT-857D when out and about and as a backup to my big old Astron RS-35A. It is solid as a rock, meters are nice (the Astron is not so blessed), and seems to be ripple and RF-hash free. Only issue is the fuses that install at the AC plug on the back sometimes do not make good connection. I probably need to go in and scratch them up a bit just to make sure. Otherwise, not a bad switcher at all.

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com

K8CXM Rating: 3/5 Aug 2, 2012 10:14 Send this review to a friend
Good, but ....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of these little supplies for two years. It has been reliable and MOSTLY OK. But, since I use it to power a little FT-857D, and run JT65 with this rig, on the higher, quieter bands I have always noticed a 'swooshing' sound sweep by on occasion. Not loud, but still there. Recently I bought an Elecraft K3, and also run JT65 with it, and this rig is connected to my Astron 35M conventional supply. NO SWOOSH. I connected my FT-857D to that same supply. NO SWOOSH. I've concluded that the switching Jetstream was the culprit. It is now a backup supply.

KJ4LQX Rating: 4/5 May 20, 2012 08:08 Send this review to a friend
So far so good.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for over a year. Used for powering my IC-7000, both at the home shack and while traveling (Field Day, etc.). Its been solid at 13.8 VDC out and the current measurement has been pretty accurate. Only reason for the 4/5 grade is based on the meter lamps (which many folks have had issue with). The voltage meter lamp went south after about six months, and the current meter lamp is intermittent.

N7XAO Rating: 3/5 Nov 19, 2011 15:53 Send this review to a friend
Powerfull, but...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned this power supply for a year. Right at the one year mark, the miniature tube lights that light up the meters blew, one right after the other. I sent the unit back to Jetstream and they did honor the warranty by replacing the meters. Turnaround time was just under 2 weeks.

Otherwise, this power supply is very powerful and is able to handle my needs with ease.