Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | S9 Antennas model S9v.18 vertical 10-40M Help

Reviews Summary for S9 Antennas model S9v.18 vertical 10-40M
S9 Antennas model S9v.18 vertical 10-40M Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $249.
Description: We read your reviews and refined our 5 Star product based upon your feedback. Introducing the complete 10- 40 meter S9v.18 antenna system that includes a ground to complete the circuit. This complete 10-40 meter HF antenna solution requires no antenna tuner and includes:
  • Heavy duty mount and hardware;
  • Matching network with SO239 connector;
  • Stainless steel clamps;
  • Ground wire & Ground stake;
  • Rugged structural grade type 6063-T832 drawn, 6 section, 18 foot aluminum vertical element

General Specifications:

• Frequency Coverage - 10-40 meters,
  • SWRs - As low as 1.9:1 on 10 & 12 Meters, 1.4:1 on 15, 1.4:1 on 17, 1.8:1 on 20, 1.6:1 on 30, and 1.3:1 on 40 when installed correctly,
  • Power - 500W PEP SSB,
  • Weight - 8 Pounds
  • Product is in production.
    More info: http://www.S9Antennas.com

You can write your own review of the S9 Antennas model S9v.18 vertical 10-40M.

KE0ATA Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2015 18:55 Send this review to a friend
    Breaks through the pileups  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    Oh man, I can't believe how lucky I feel with this antenna. I have it installed in probably the worst condition you would think. These things slip right over a 3/4" piece of pipe, so I just used some hose clamps to attach the pipe to a chain-link fence in my back yard. Using the fence as a ground I am DX-ing like the pros. Just tonight in about 2 hours I hit Oman, Germany, Austria, Canada, Italy, and Slovakia from my QTH in Detroit, loud and clear with 59 reports, running just 100W out of an FT-450 through an LDG tuner. Buy these while you can still get them, they are GREAT antennas.

N6SBN Rating: 4/5 Jan 24, 2014 23:13 Send this review to a friend
    Very good for it's size  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
    This is a smaller sized antenna, which is good for mounting on your roof. And, if it's up on your roof, you can use 4 radials per band. For a ground mounted vertical, you will be putting down large numbers of radials. Costs can add up. . When comparing this 18' antenna to the 31' vertical, I believe I'm receiving 90% of the same signals. This is Okay by me, because the 18 is much more manageable on my roof. When conditions are good, I can still talk across the continent with ease. As with any of these verticals, putting the AT at the feed reduces the amount of RFI down in the shack. I'm using the SGC-239 in a Pelican box.
    Any of these vertical act more like a DX antenna. I live near the beach in California. Most of my contacts are on the East Coast and Washington. I have less contacts with nearby states.(than with my dipole) For simple and cheap, this is a good product. Craig N6SBN SK SK.

N4APO Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2011 15:23 Send this review to a friend
    So simple  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    I have started using the S9 18 with my Ft-817nd and a LDG 817 tuner for qrp portable operating (camping). With only two 25 foot 14awg radials it works way better than expected. Using a small tripod or a flat weight with a small portion of pipe it deploys well. At the qth I have used a dipole for my primary HF antenna for years and my well-aged old five-band vertical was taken down a while back. I have decided to supplement the dipole with a 43 footer S9.

N2LRB Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2011 06:23 Send this review to a friend
    Superb Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    I have been using my S9v 18' for a month and I have been pleasantly surprised. The antenna is simply a wire in a fiberglass telescoping tube. Although it is mechanically simple, it works very well. I also purchased the Balun Designs 4-1 Unun which allows my S9 to have a flat SWR from 20-6 Meters. I am currenly using only 8 10 foot radials. Your results may vary.

I have been making contacts in Europe, the Carribean and across the U.S. on 20 to 6 meters. I find that I can work them if I can hear them.

This antenna is so light that I take it with me to Central Park here in New York City and work portable using my FT-857D and a 22ah gel cell. It work well there too. I high recommend this antenna.

Note: S9 was recently purchased by LDG Electronics.

Jose - N2LRB

KI6RRX Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2010 16:31 Send this review to a friend
    Excellent design, quality, performance and price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    I don't get excited very often about ham equipment, but this antenna delivers amazing quality at a fraction of the usual price for similar verticals. I was skeptical that anything this inexpensive could be any good at all, but in fact this antenna is amazing. The design is simple and straightforward. The telescoping fiberglass sections are of precision manufacture and very hand-friendly. It took me 5 minutes to assemble and mount, and soon I was talking to Russia, Japan and all of the US on 200W or less with it.

It disassembles very easily to about 30" in length with minimal fuss and very little hardware - just a few screws - so it's a good Field Day portable.

You need either a choke balun or a 4:1 unun at the feed point, and ground radials or counterpoise - all NOT included.

I can't wait to try S9's 43' vertical of similar design.