Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Amplifier Repair & Upgrade by the Amplady Help

Reviews Summary for Amplifier Repair & Upgrade by the Amplady
Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: HF Amplifier Repairs and restoration

You can write your own review of the Amplifier Repair & Upgrade by the Amplady.

WD8PKF Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2015 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an old Amp Supply LK500-ZC that Laura repaired for me several years ago. The amp worked very well until a a month ago when it suddenly filled the room with smoke. The old amp was sent back to Laura who repaired the amp and turned it around in a couple of weeks. Both of my experiences with the Amplady have been excellent and I would not hesitate to use her services again for any of the amps that I have.

AK4NJ Rating: 0/5 Dec 24, 2014 13:43 Send this review to a friend
unable to perform simple maintainance on Henry Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not sure whats going on in Florida these days, I sent my amplifier down to Laura after talking to her on the phone so she could tap the transformer for 240v and place a loose B- wire which she assured me would be straightforward with quick turn around. I double boxed and shipped the amplifier as per her instructions.

Once it arrived in her shop it became a two tube 3-400Z Johnson Amplifier with a Henry name tag on it made in the early 60's. I contacted Mr. Henry for production dates as I know the single 3-500Z tube amplifier was built by Henry Radio in the late 90's and he confirmed serial number and model. At that point Laura said she lost all of her schematics in the move apologized for the mistake and said that the amplifier wasn't worth fixing as it uses the ECA-1403A transformer that is worthless and tried to buy it for parts. Why would she want to buy a worthless Transformer?

I asked her to put it back into the condition that it arrived in and ship it back to me. After paying her service fee and return shipping My amplifier arrived today in a single box - bubble wrapped without 3" of space around the amplifier. two loose PC Boards, Filter Cap and a bag full of screws and misc parts damaged to say the least.

Needless to say shipping insurance doesn't cover improper packaging...

Looking for a reputable repair shop? Shop elsewhere. Mr. Henry has been brought up to speed about the problem with the amp ladies service and performance on this matter. 73's

AK4NJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2013 05:08 Send this review to a friend
Henry 3K Pemeir   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased what was supposed to be a " Brand New old stock" Henry 3K Premire from Bob K6SPR and Gus AD6EG needless to say she arrived D.O.A. A quick look inside to trouble shoot the main problem and a call to Mr. Henry to see if the parts were available to repair the broken roller inductor, unable to locate the factory parts Mr. Henry recommended calling Laura " The Amp Lady ".

Laura the Amp Lady is first class to say the least, she gave me several options to have the inductor repaired with detailed instructions for removing the damaged parts for shipping, once she arrived in FL, Laura called with the repair estimate which I accepted (very reasonable) four days later the inductor RF section was on her way home.

WOW !! Says it all. The repairs are first class, service turn around excellent, professionalism, a big A+ I would definitely recommend Laura the " Amp Lady "

WX4US Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2012 07:42 Send this review to a friend
Henry 2kd-5  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked up my Henry and had the AMP Lady, Laura, go thru it and check it out. Fast turnaround, reasonable rates, but most important excellent work. One major improvement was a new cooling fan that increased the CFM while still quiet. The Henry performs as it should producing an easy 1200 watts of RF out. This amp was built in the day when they rated the input at 2kw and efficiency was around 65%. It is capable of legal limit, but I don't drive it that hard. It just loafs along and gives me clean, reliable, and cool 1.2kw out. I would not hesitate to send Laura another amp. Check out her web site: www.commander.us.com and send her an email about your amp. Thanks Laura!

KD5EDB Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2012 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Pure excellence  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Laura is great. Purchased a Henry 2K-4 that had been setting for a while, powered up, worked ok, then noticed some issues, found the bandswitch was wallowed out and not working. Removed the RF deck, found it was too much for me to repair, called Laura, sent it to her, in very short order was able to repair the bandswitch and shipped it back to me, all for a very reasonable rate. I emailed here about a replacement part number for the blower on the Henry after being so frustrated trying to find the parts on the internet, she emailed me back the next day with the part number and where to purchase it. This is the best customer service I have ever experienced in the radio repair field. Thanks Laura, keep up the great work.

N4PSE Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2011 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Expert advice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased an 811H amp on line only to find that it had "issues." Let's assume they developed in shipping, but that's never to be known for certain.

I shipped it to Laura for diagnosis. She called me the same day it arrived after quickly assessing the "issues." After giving me the bad news she carefully outlined my options and gave me cost estimates. Long and short of it- she was terrific and her diagnosis fee was more than reasonable even though I decided to not invest any more in this failed attempt to upgrade.

I recommend her highly- nice, knowledgable lady with very good communication skills.

WP4O Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2010 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Dentron Amp Rebuilted  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent in a Dentron GLA 1000C amp to Laura the AMP Lady. she completly refurbished it and Painted the Cabinet. it looks brand new and works fantastic. Communications between The Amp lady and my self was very good. I would recommend Her for any AMP repair, it was repaired in a timely fashion and the repair bill was less than what I expected. Thank You AMP LADY! 73, De WP4O, Ed

WD8PKF Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2010 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sent my old Amp Supply LK500 To the Amplady. The service was excellent and extremely professional. She was able to restore and upgrade the old amp in a very short time and at a very affordable fee. I highly recommend her services to any body needing work done on a hf amp. I plan on using her to upgrade my old Den-tron mla 2500 when the current tubes go south.
73 WD8PKF