Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-260A Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-260A
Icom IC-260A Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2m all mode mobile rig
More info: http://www.muppetlabs.com/~reaper/ham/ic-260/

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-260A.

DU1FV Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2012 01:02 Send this review to a friend
A bit outdated but still a great rig. Advanced for its time!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was offered a chance to get this rig recently.It was in poor shape electronics-wise but still looked good so I bit the bullet and got it after some haggling. I replaced a bad cpu reset capacitor, the fm squelch capacitor, and two cmos chips in the drive sub board. The first bad chip was in the chopper circuit (it tuned only upwards whatever direction you turned the knob). A bad chip in the D/A 100Hz step synthesiser made it tune 200Hz steps in SSB mode). I restored the finals into class AB by replacing an fm type final module someone had installed. I guess the previous owner was not an SSB fan. I tuned the PLL clock crystal (seemed like a good idea and this was mentioned in the ic-290 service manual). I did some alignment on the D/A driven 0-9.9KHz "sub-synthesizer". This was a bit tricky. Check the ic-290 manual. I adjusted the carrier oscillator offsets for the various modes. I used the frequencies listed in the ic-260 block diagram. Only the schematic , block diagram and parts layout for the ic-260 are available on the internet. I found no service manual! A service manual for the ic-290 (D/A converter for the 100hz steps) as well as one for the ic-551 (chopper circuit) helped a lot. These models shared some of the circuitry with the ic-260.
As final personal touch , I took the small bearing out of the VFO knob detent mechanism to make the VFO knob rotate freely like an HF rig! I am surprised I have not read of anyone who has done this "detent removal", Tuning with the knob is now like a dream! I would not recommend it though if you mobile this radio. I am enjoying this radio a lot. As said previously, it is not prone to intermod like the newer rigs today! I know that there may be some capacitor which might give up the ghost as it is a vintage radio but , as long as the schematic is available, I am not particularly worried. Best 73 from Ramon DU1FV from Manila!

KB4BKV Rating: 4/5 Jun 11, 2012 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Decent mobile radio for contesting  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My father owned this radio back in the early 90's and I used it numerous times to work VHF contests from mountain tops. I was not disappointed in the performance. I recently purchased one on ebay for ~$150 and got it out during the June VHF QSO Party. Paired with my home-built G0KSC-designed yagi and a 170W amp/preamp, it performed well. For the ruggedness and price, you can't beat it.

26JLH Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2010 11:44 Send this review to a friend
built like a cement block  Time owned: months
i have not used it yet so i will let you know how it works later,this is so strong you could use it as a hammer in your tool shead if you could not find anyone to talk to.all that was gone was the signal meter bulb..jeff..M6GLH..

KE7SZC Rating: 4/5 Feb 24, 2010 16:46 Send this review to a friend
An interesting rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this rig at a local fest for $30, ssb didn't work, but the fm did, figured I couldn't go wrong, got it home and opened it up, it would be nearly impossible to troubleshoot any single component due to it's modular design, but if you can find replacement boards, you're in good shape.

In my case it was simply a matter of simply cleaning the connectors and re-assembling the radio to make my repairs, this radio is quite similar to the IC-211 in it's construction.

I have since fallen in love with this radio, after an alignment, it has become a great pleasure to operate, it's controls leave a bit to be desired, but what can you expect from a radio pushing 40 years old? It's built like a tank, and will hopefully survive many more years.

KE1MI Rating: 4/5 Jun 10, 2009 04:36 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Nice Allmode  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought a IC 260 A off ebay, wanting to get on 2m SSB after 20 years of not being on. So far I am happy with it, pros are simple to use, and within my budget. I guess downfalls are only 10 watts, and no tone board. That I don't care about, I bought it for SSB! Hey its a start, get on 2m SSB and off the repeaters, try something new. If nothing else it will make a great low power IF for 1296 or something else.

N8EKT Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2005 20:31 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Fantastic receiver.
interference free.
rugged built compared to new radios.

N3IBX Rating: 4/5 Oct 30, 2000 21:13 Send this review to a friend
Good all around 2 meter all mode radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Icom 260A is a good all around all mode 2 meter radio especially suited to the person just beginning to explore VHF sidebanding/CW or a a good backup rig.
This radio does not have PL encode/decode, and has a power output on FM and SSB of 10 watts.
Price class for a clean radio in good working order is $200.00 to $250.00. If you can pick one for a better price, the cheaper the better.
Good luck