Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG-UV2D Help

Reviews Summary for Wouxun KG-UV2D
Wouxun KG-UV2D Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $107.00
Description: Updated version: 136-174MHz & 400-470MHz Dual display, dual
receive.
More info: http://www.wouxun.us/

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UV2D.

W9HMJ Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2014 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned the KG-UV2D for four years with only one major issue. That being the battery would randomly lose then regain connection from movement, resulting in a radio restart. This happened mostly while on my belt or when removing from the belt. Other than that this radio was solid, dropped many times and always came back working. Except the last time that is, but that may also be due to it moving at 85mph when it fell off my car...

W5LZ Rating: 4/5 May 23, 2014 10:49 Send this review to a friend
'Keeps on ticking'!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think this is year 3 or 4, not sure. It still works, does what it's supposed to do, but will never be the 'best thing since sliced bread'.
I have a couple of recommendation about it, but they apply to all HTs, not just the Wouxuns. Find an after market 1/4 wave antenna for it, it makes a sort of big difference. Still won't do 'miracles' but it certainly helps. Extra battery or two. That's not an absolute, but they really do come in handy. Get the manufacturer's software or one of the after market programs! It's a Royal PITA to program by hand. And an SMA to SO-239 antenna adapter, you WILL use one.
There are easier to use ham HTs but there are few as cheap (that means inexpensive, not quality). I didn't get it for ham use, and it is performing as well as other brands in the same service.
I see they've doubled in price since I bought mine. Not sure I'd buy another at present prices, but I don't have to the thing still works. Treat it like it came out of your wallet, not just something furnished to you. It'll last a lot longer.
Why the '4' instead of a '5'? Well, it doesn't make coffee...
- Paul

KT0DD Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2014 02:22 Send this review to a friend
One year and still great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine for over a year and no issues. Dropped 2-3 times with no damage. Better audio than my old FT60R. You can't expect Motorola quality at this price, but I think Motorola's are way overpriced anyway.

I will say the QC from China does let an occasional defective unit thru. I own 6 Wouxuns now but my first 2 had minor defects (flashlight failure). All my current Wouxuns and 2 Baofengs have been trouble free and excellent performers for the price. A great value.

WD3T Rating: 0/5 May 22, 2014 19:45 Send this review to a friend
worst radio ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
Junk, lousy audio , you get what you pay for! Not one thing can I say good about these radio's Bought 1 over a year ago and unless you buy the program software, they are a pain to program! And really the worse audio! Cheap and that is exactly what they are! Sold it and got rid of IT.

KE5LZL Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2013 21:14 Send this review to a friend
User Freindly  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had the KG-uv1 and KG-uv6..
Had no problems whatsoever....
well worth it...
Even though the #6 wouldn't hook up with windows 7... I had no problem pograming it manually..

KC9UUK Rating: 4/5 Feb 27, 2012 15:23 Send this review to a friend
nicely built, at a Great price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the KG-UV2D model. This is my 1st HT and it seems like a very solid radio. It seems to be really well built, I have have no issues in it's over all construction. My only reason for the 4/5 instead of a 5/5, is the programing, and the menues. I will admit, I am a greenhorn on this issue, only been a ham since Oct, 2011. But, I love this thing! I can hit the repeaters in my area really well, and got on to 1, 30 miles away, in my house. Big 3, look out!
KC9UUK
Sam

W7NYG Rating: 3/5 Feb 3, 2012 16:46 Send this review to a friend
operates OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my Wouxum KG-UV3D UHF HT note it is a 3 not the 2 model.

The most complaints I read were people who had problems using the powerwrex free software and USB cable. Make sure the USB plug is in all the way.

My operating system is XP pro. downloading the free software from powerwrex.com took several tries.

When you download the software be sure to select the correct driver and OP sys.

Once I installed the driver then the software I ran into an unusual problem. Normally the driver software will be detected automatically. Mine is configured to use com port 7 yours might be different.

Several times when I was setting up the HT fredquencies and offsets.I had to change the driver from the default port 1 to port 7. This might happen if the HT is not connected to the USB cable and powered on when your computer is booting up.

This is not the best HT if you want to use it for more then two repeaters or simplex frequencies.

It certainly is as advertized and works like the more expensive HT's.

The over all quality is far better then I expected. It tunes the FM 88 to 108 MHz and has good quality sound. It has a bright LED flashlight built in.

Using the rubber duck on 2 meters I can communicate at least 15 miles from my living room.

It seems to be a good addition to my ham shack.
I suggest having lots of patients and knowing your operating system.

AE5ZX Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2011 19:21 Send this review to a friend
Great HT for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Outstanding product at a reasonable price considering all the over-priced ham radio rigs on the market. The user's guide is written in "Chinese" English, unfortunately, but the wouxun.us site has an "Eyes Free Manual" (rtf file) that helps to get you started. Simple to use once you get past the user's guide. Once you are familiar with using the HT, then the user's guide becomes really helpful. Basic HT; no frills. Of course! No frills price. The free Wouxun software is OK, but the free KG-UV Commander software is better and easy to use. Get the programming cable. Easier than hand-programming the HT and even easier to modify! I get great signal reports with the KG-UV2D. Hint! Buy a high gain rubber ducky for it such as the Diamond RH951S. I can't seem to wear the battery out. I bought two of them.

W0AY Rating: 4/5 Oct 24, 2011 03:53 Send this review to a friend
Revised Review after changing software  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My plea for help was answered my KC8UNJ's program kguv012b.zip available at http://www.kc8unj.com/kguv.html. So if you are experiencing problems, toss the software provided by Wouxan and try KC8UNJ's program instead.

After using Jims program to write to the radio, my selection of the English language guide (voice) now persists through power cycles. See my October 23 review for details.

KB8WDV Rating: 4/5 Sep 17, 2011 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A good radio.I have the 2meter/220 version. The reason I gave it a 4 rather than a 5 is you can't lock a channel when scanning.For me this means when travel if I put in a new frequent manually I can't lock out some other channels that might be stoping my radio from scanning.I mean you can lock out a channel but you have to use the software.