Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG-UV2D Help

Reviews Summary for Wouxun KG-UV2D
Wouxun KG-UV2D Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $107.00
Description: Updated version: 136-174MHz & 400-470MHz Dual display, dual
receive.
More info: http://www.wouxun.us/

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UV2D.

K6NJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2011 09:29 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Nice radio for the price. I've owned just about every HT Yaesu makes and I actually really like this Wouxun unit. I sold my two other Yaesu HTs (VX-6R and VX-3R) and bought a Wouxun KG-UV2D and Baofeng UV-3R and put several HUNDRED dollars in the bank! Gotta love it! The Wouxun is simple to program with the FREE software, Simple to expand the TX limits with FREE software, works perfectly and I got mine for $110 from Wouxun.us. If you have realistic expectations you will not be disappointed in this radio.

AF6HA Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2011 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using an HTX-202 since I was first licensed as KC2GYV and stationed in Stuttgart, Germany (DA6GYV reciprocal German call). After quite a few years I decided to upgrade, but didn't want to spend a LOT of money on a new HT, in an efforts to keep out of hot water with the XYL.

After talking with Cory with WouxunUS out of FL, I decided to purchase the KG-UV2D with the programming software. I paid on a Friday, Cory shipped out on a Saturday, and I had in my hands on Tuesday. Besides the outstanding customer service from Cory (Thanks!), I love this new rig!

It is easy to program using the software provided - not at all like using ADMS for my FT-8900R mobile. I had the radio programmed and was testing on the local repeaters well within 10-15 minutes of arrival. Reports received back were full quieting. I also tested it out on the Canadian repeaters just across the Stratis of Juan de Fuca - and it sounded like I was right net door.

The manual was in ChEnglish, but that was ok! I read it twice, and followed some of the menu shortcuts to turn off the voice promt/guide (very helpful, by the way), change the settings for the backlight, among other small minute changes due to personal preference.

While small when compared to the HTX-202 brick, it is packed with just about every feature you can think of, has a good price, especially for those on a budget, and sounds like a radio three or four times its' cost.

My 10 year old son has expressed an interest in learning the hobby - I plan on buying him one of these for Christmas - providing he earns his ticket before then!

If Wouxun comes out with a mobile like I hear they have been working on, I will be one of the first in line to purchase that rig as well.

KG4FQG Rating: 4/5 Aug 3, 2011 18:31 Send this review to a friend
Double-Awesome  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Two main gripes. First the software is cheesy. No-go on my XP laptop, some Vista works as do some W7- there's no rhyme or reason to this. Someone near you will have working software, just use theirs and keep your file in case you need it again Second gripe is the non-Ham style manual programming but it's not hard to learn. Another downside is that 12V operation requires you get both the 12V battery adapter and the ciggie cable. The stock antenna gives a better signal out than what the big guys give you- if you simply must, get the adaptor and run an aftermarket SMA but you really don't need it.

You can program FM Broadcast to memory, go to "radio" mode; enter frequency; and save as you do with Ham freqs. It will default to 76MHz but your station is now one button push away. Great at work where I don't miss Ham calls anymore. Now brace yourself- I have not been gentle with this one; in fact I know of nobody who abuses a HT like I have this one. It's been dropped and had lumber fall on it and the worst that happens is the battery pops off. Pop it on and you're like new except the battery fit will be looser. No sweat if you kill it as cheap as it is, but this is one tough rig you will have to try very hard to kill it. The reversed SMA is one heck of a lot stronger than the standard config; seems the big guys blew it there. RX and TX audio is super clear and loud, batteries last nigh on forever. The speaker/Mic is great. Other upsides are cheap batteries/accessories and very wide range after unlocking (yes you can unlock these).

I've had Icom, Alinco, and Yaesu HT's and they can't hold a candle to this one except in the extra-stuff department. My FT530 does darn near everything except DCS but it just collects dust now. My Wouxun is my constant companion and I'm getting the 220 version soon. You won't see me buying another HT from the big guys again; I don't need their 'extra stuff' on a HT. I'm that impressed- get one yourself and you'll feel the same way, even of you take good care of it!

W2MB Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2011 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent RX  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Top notch sounding receiver with loud audio. Battery life is excellent. I have the 2/220 version and it works on 220 just as well as it does on 2 meters. As my friend N2SWD would say, "such a deal"...

IZ3JJD Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2011 20:46 Send this review to a friend
It does everithing for the money you spent.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi! Ciao! I bought it for the low price and have a VHF / UHF rig to be used during exercises with the Civil Defense of my city, so if it falls to the ground I do not cry thinking of the money spent if it were a Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood rig . Not a bad radio, I also bought all the accessories, is less sensitive than others in receiving but otherwise works well. It does everithing for the money you spent and perhaps much more.
73 de iz3jjd / kc2vpx

KB0BRO Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2011 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Great for work and play  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio primarily for use at my work, and as a backup for amateur use when out and about. I did a lot of research before ordering from Wouxun.us and could not be happier with this radio.

First impression was that it is a solid unit for the price. In many ways it reminds me of my Icom T8a, but a bit lighter. I primarily use this radio in a high noise environment, and have had no issue with being able to hear a call. Also, the transmit audio is very good and in my opinion, outshines the Motorola it replaced.

I only have a few repeaters in my area, and the radio has had no problem accessing them, including one over 35 miles away, just using the stock antenna. The receiver seems very good as I am able to also pick up several NOAA weather stations at my work...a feat our scanner with an outside antenna can not accomplish.

Programming was a snap with the USB cable and software. I have also done some hand programming, and contrary to many comments here, did not find it that much of an ordeal to do manually.

Overall I think this is a fine little radio and an excellent value. The missing bells and whistles offered by the big 3 are not features I typically use, so I do not feel I made a major comprimise with this purchase.

K8NNK Rating: 4/5 Jun 10, 2011 15:16 Send this review to a friend
I'm impressed.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was a little leery about ordering a HT that didn't have the words icom, kenwood, yaesu or ADI written on it. Now that I have received my Wouxun kguv2d from Wouxun.us and have had a chance to play with and learn it's operating system, I'm impressed. I can't beat the price for the HT or it's accessories. My unit has a good receiver in it as good or better than my yaesu ft-60r. It's not that difficult to program once you learn the menu system. Recieve audio is loud enough for me and i've had good signal reports from everyone ive talked to I wish it was a little bit larger and a little heavier, I'm afraid I'llos

KD8HAM Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2011 21:39 Send this review to a friend
A great dual bander for the price!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this radio after I sold my FT-60R. A great radio with great features and above all at a GREAT price!

First off, as another reviewer said - buy from www.wouxun.us they have the latest radios and Ed's customer service is prompt and cannot be beat! Also if you are buying this radio, spend the extra 20 $ and get the USB cable - this will make life so much easier when it comes to programming the radio!

The 2 things that bother me are the absence of a manual squelch. This radio has a digital squelch and can be a bit of a hindrance for some users. Secondly the user manual and programming can be a little tricky - but time and the USB cable can sort this one out for you!

The radio itself is a great piece and I get about 30 hours with moderate transmit and I monitor about 4 frequencies from home. Transmit quality is pretty good and the audio is very good too. The flashlight comes in handy too!

A good radio for the price and a great unit for newbies and old timers alike! I am eagerly awaiting the wouxun dual band mobile unit!

K5MM Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2011 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my KG-UV2D to replace a VX1R. I'm a casual VHF/UHF user and have had my share of handhelds over the years. This Wouxum, at less than $100 at Dayton, is an incredible value. However the radio should be purchased with the data cable required for the Wouxum programing software provided on their web site. Programing manually is tedious. The manual is also a bit cryptic for easy manual programing. Programing via the Wouxum software was very easy. There is also a video on YouTube that demonstrates the programing software. Using the Channel-Freq mode allows the user to dial up retained memories and display frequency and channel #. My first contact was with a VK8 station who accessed our local repeater via an IRLP link. The radio got warm but not hot during our 20 minute QSO. Audio reports have been consistently great. Receive audio is also excellent. The li-ion battery is still on it's initial charge. A 1700 miliamp battery backup was 27 bucks. I've had no problem accessing repeaters 20 miles from my QTH using the antenna delivered with the radio. I'm very pleased with this unit.

N0SOX Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2011 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Great dual band handie  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent this to Ed at Wouxun.us:

>Are you kidding?
>I just received my unit. This is the best dual bander I have ever owned
>for several reasons.
>-your website is excellent and easy to use
>-programming is a snap with the free software. No buttons to press, hold,
>whatever, just download. Worked first time.
>-the radio is simple. I may be an extra, but Im stupid like most of us,
>and the easier the better.
>-the price (what? Are you joking? Whaaaat?)
>-the audio is very good.
>I expected far less for the money, however knowing the radio now, I would
>have actually paid more.
>No doubt I will find some downside someplace over time but who cares (see
>the price whaaaaat?)
>Nice job. Hope you get richer.