Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Kenwood TS-590S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-590S
Kenwood TS-590S Reviews: 284 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1799.99
Description: The TS-590S marks a bold new chapter in Kenwood's proud history of manufacturing high-performance transceivers. Featuring a narrow-band Roofing Filter the TS-590S significantly reduces interference from unwanted signals that would be hidden to lesser rigs. With IF AGC based on advanced DSP technology, Kenwood has essentially redefined HF performance.
More info: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/HF_Base_Mobile/TS-590S

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-590S.

VA2DV Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2015 09:22 Send this review to a friend
A real bargain on the used market  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After a few years with a nice Icom 7200, i decided to treat myself when a clean TS-590S appeared on the local used market. At first, I was a little affraid by the extensive menu system but it was just a question of a few days to manage it.
I think the thing I like the most is the ability to open up the passband up to 5 KHz to get the most from the wider audio bandwidths. Coupled with a simple SP-23 also from Kenwood, it's now a real pleasure to listen ragchewing on 80m at night. When I chase DX on the higher bands, it takes seconds to get the thing down to 2.6 KHz wide and get into serious listening. The DSP noise reduction is effective at moderate level and do help in certain situations. I also find the NB2 feature to be useful for a local power line noise that was impossible to remove with my previous rig. I also really like the built-in autotuner. It is lightning fast and help me to match the input of numerous linears amplifiers. I am very happy with my purchase. A full featured, fantastic receiver, for the price of a plain basic new rig. Well done Kenwood.

N7RST Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2015 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio Great Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had a couple of 590s in the past and came back to one now. Planning on keeping this one. For the $ spent (typically less than $1100) you get one hell of a receiver with top notch performance.

I compared mine to a PRO2 on 6 meters and honestly, the 590 was a bit quieter and more sensitive in hearing a weak signal. On the PRO2 I could hear about 60% of the transmission and on the 590 like %90 or greater (without any NR).

Radio is easy to use, takes some learning to use it well and just about the right size for portable or expedition use. Great for base too and easy to read legends on it.

I don't go much on numbers alone but on the ergonmics, functionality and how much enjoyment it is to use. So won't go into the numbers jazz.

All in all, I would but this radio again if I had to. Great to use, solid performer and a great contest radio that won't wear me out.

W0DKM Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2015 12:28 Send this review to a friend
WOW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This rig is Great. I have it on NR1 at 5 and high boost 2. I use the internal speaker. And can listen for hours. No speaker I have makes it sound any better.
No good or bad comments on my audio, but I don't talk that much. Never had a rig like this that I don't need speakers or audio DSP to enjoy.
I enjoyed the TS870, TS570. But this rig is by far and away, better. Feels like a Volvo, or BMW.
I will try my hand at CW again. It seems perfect for CW. Narrow and Clean signals.
Pleased as Punch.
Bought it used at 1K, cant beat that.

W8WAW Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2015 23:19 Send this review to a friend
Does it all  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great work a little radio and all the possibilities that you would ever want. A signal link I have for digital and it works really well. The differences you use USB instead of digital mode.
I also use Dragon to change what I say in the words on the screen makes it much easier than typing everything. It works flawlessly with both of my rigs.
Anyone who purchases this radio will be happy with it.

N8USA Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2015 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There are so many things that I can cover I don't know where to start.
This is my second 590S. the first time around I guess I was afraid of all the buttons and the menu. I gave myself and the rig a little room and I actually am learning how to operate the radio as sure has a lot. The menu is actually easy to use and so vast, it covers most everything. There is most everything that can be done with it and the receiver is excellent. I've had many other rigs and I think this is the best. The only one I think the receiver may have been equal to or better was the Flex 5000A. Although I've only had this a few months, the second one that is, I would have to say whoever purchases this radio would be very happy with it.

2E0VOV Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2015 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Worth every penny  Time owned: more than 12 months
I upgraded from a 706mk2G and the difference is like night and day!. The DSP is very effective, the filters too and the ATU is very quick indeed. The radio can be plugged to a PC using a standard printer lead which is useful for Digital modes. Our Radio club was running a FT1000mk5 until I put this in the shack for a A/B test, now the club has one of these too.
For the price its in a league of its own.

IK4VFD Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2015 08:01 Send this review to a friend
i love IT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this radio, seems made for me, perfect in all controls, quick menu with favorite voices, a good feeling in cw tx and a receiver very pleasant and quiet ... I could make comparisons with 7600 ic and k3 (with last sint ) and I can guarantee that in the cw 590 holds head without problems ... in ssb listening is not as "hot" as in icom even after adjusting equalizer with custom, emphasizing the bass tones, but you do not get the quality ( I talk about bf) of k3 and 7600 ...
The thing I do not like is a hiss, audible to the audio output, that I delete, with the filters of my sp20, and that is audible even in sg (strange that the legendary kenwood falls into this thing)
I could make a comparison a / b with a 590 sg, I noticed a different listening cw, obviously all settings were identical (hard reset), but the S version has a listening softer tones slightly more "hot" ... which to my ear sounds better, in ssb this "effect" is missing ... probably the new roofing filter has different cuts ...
tests on weak signals, both cw and ssb, no remarkable difference ...
I held my S ...

AL7LO Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2015 16:18 Send this review to a friend
Super receiver!  Time owned: more than 12 months
In urban Anchorage we have a lot of noise to contend with. I spent a lot of time shopping this time for a radio that was affordable with the best receiver possible. In the past three years of ownership, the ability of this radio to allow me to operate with ease on HF is wonderful. I have to admit I have been a Kenwood owner for years with both the TS-440 and the TS-480. This radio is certainly a step up from those.

To really appreciate the radio you do need to experiment with the settings and in each mode. Though it won't be long and you will be able to pull them out of the noise.

N5PHT Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2015 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Don't forget to make it your own with the PF buttons! Made a big difference for me. I was really having difficult time with the TF-SET but programmed the PF B for that function and now wonderful with one hand using split.
First six months and over 16,000 QSOs. Nice rig.
Got tired of the 746s backlight issue (had 3 of them go bad).

N1UHF Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2015 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had to give a review after reading the previous reviewer's comments on the radio. First off, 5 is not for perfect a radio but a great one. Like many other hams, I wish this site had 1/2 stars. So because it's not perfect the reviewer gives it 80% rating! Seems like on eham a radio with ave of 4 isn't very good at all and has lots of problems.
Ok, so on with the review. Pros of the radio are:
-Very quiet receiver
-Cool running with giant heat sinks and fans
-beautiful easy to read and easy on the eyes display
-easy access to most features with the buttons
-very good internal tuner
-3 antenna connectors (one for receive only)
-IF DSP that works great
- decent stock mic
-Clean output
-Menu system has instructions on screen!

Cons
-can't think of any