Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Kenwood TS-590S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-590S
Kenwood TS-590S Reviews: 296 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1799.99
Description: The TS-590S marks a bold new chapter in Kenwood's proud history of manufacturing high-performance transceivers. Featuring a narrow-band Roofing Filter the TS-590S significantly reduces interference from unwanted signals that would be hidden to lesser rigs. With IF AGC based on advanced DSP technology, Kenwood has essentially redefined HF performance.
More info: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/HF_Base_Mobile/TS-590S

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-590S.

OK1DTM Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2016 14:07 Send this review to a friend
Great transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
great satisfaction mainly with reduction town qrm cw/ssb mode

EA3FF Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2016 00:36 Send this review to a friend
The best for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
More tan 4 years running two of them in SSB and DIGI .Only USB connection to PC , great with QRM reductions, the intenal ATU the best of the best,side by side with a K-830S in reception is not posible to see differences.Al in all why to spend more money , better in aluminium, of course

K3LRH Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2016 10:39 Send this review to a friend
Energizer Bunny  Time owned: more than 12 months
...Still running strong after more than five years. A great rig for my type of operation. SSB and digital only, no CW. Mine is ca. 2010 with the ALC mod and for me it works 100%. Absolutely no problems or complaints. Interfaces with computers easily and no additional sound card devices are needed. Digital signals are clean. Display is as bright as new and has all the needed info in an easily read order. The internal tuner is fast and accurate. A bargain at full list price and an even better one on the used market.

R2ABT Rating: 3/5 Feb 7, 2016 03:58 Send this review to a friend
Forward to the past  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
"This one reminds me of your ancient TS-440S", - said my wife about TS-590S. However, not only this fact made me doubt about buying this rig. Actually, I am not only CW operator as 50 percent of my time I work SSB. DIGI is not my mode at all. I use my PC for mail, Skype and so on. Radio for me is a very different thing, i.e. no log, no internet, no dx-cluster, just TRX and antenna, like in old good days. Small experience with TS-590S lead me to the following conclusions:

- not a bad rig if you use it in along with a PC, but this is not my case as I said before;
- too much of menu is good for portable rig as it should be a small one, but it seems strange when they economize on knobs and buttons while designing the rig for stationary use. Key-speed knob on a front panel is very desirable;
- overpriced. I planned to buy something like FTdx-3000D or IC-7600, with a spectroscope, but my budget was enough for TS-590S only. In the end, for the price of TS-590S I have bought two second-hand rigs, namely IC-746 and IC-756PROII, luckily the latter was totally brand new one, no one ever used it, just kept in the box for years.

However, TS-590S remains one of the most popular new rigs in Russia. Probably I am just not in its marketing focus-group.

73! Peter R2ABT

IT9AHH Rating: 2/5 Jan 29, 2016 13:41 Send this review to a friend
dsp nr2 vy disappointed  Time owned: more than 12 months
i'm only cw op.
used two years the 590s only cw, but after two years i had to sell it in 2016:
-the dsp nr2 on this rig is a disaster!
with the nr2 enabled it's impossible to hear weak and vy weak signals.
things don't improve even decreasing rf gain!
-the noise reduction2 on this rig generates a artefacting like the sound of water gurgling.
-the latest 2015 firmware update has worsened further these nr2 issues.
-it doesn't help that tightening if filters down to 50 hz the receiver stars to ringing tremendously.

shame cause otherwise the 590s would be a top receiver.
73.
franco

N7RD Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2015 16:53 Send this review to a friend
CW Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this rig used, probably the best buy I've made to date. Was using a IC-756 Pro II for long time and really like the rig. After getting over the size being so small I love this rig. I only operate CW and this is a CW dream of a rig. The receiver is outstanding, hear things I never heard with the Icom. After getting use to size and all the functions it is now my #1 rig and the Icom sets with the cover on it. What a good job Kenwood did with this one and for the price I feel I stole it.

Ron N7RD

EA2DPO Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2015 10:05 Send this review to a friend
AMAZING  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio for about 2 years, and all I can say it is an amazing radio. For the cost you can't find something better. The build quality is great and has a very good receiver.

If the TS 590 SG is better, I canīt magine the quality so great that it will be.

100% recommend it

It will give you many satisfactions

VK4WTN Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2015 21:45 Send this review to a friend
cw rx quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my TS590 for about 4 years and there is a lot to like about it.TX audio is great, digi modes are so easy and SSB rx quality excellent.
However on cw receive I have to agree with the earlier comments from AE1CW the cw audio on weak to medium signals is average at best.I have tried all of the filter,equaliser and AGC settings but with cw signals and band noise rx audio quality is very average and if you use narrow filtering it is almost unreadable at times. I believe it is caused by the receivers reaction to signals and various types of noise.On HF the noise floor here is usually about s5 (most likely a combination of all the cheap chinese electronic devices in the area) and I think that the receiver reacts badly to cw signals and noise. I use 6 meters a lot which is a quieter band and CW sounds a lot more pleasant, which kind of confirms my suspicion that the TS590 reacts badly to this type of noise on cw.I would love to try my radio in a quiet location just to see the difference.Otherwise a good solid radio
regards Wayne VK4WTN

WB2KSP Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2015 17:54 Send this review to a friend
CW receive audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
AE1CW, I'll keep this short. Have you tried adjusting the receive EQ? When I first turned on the radio in 2011, I didn't care for the audio quality,as it came from the factory. My settings now are SFT 80 and WDH 400 on If filter A and SFT 800 and 200 on IF Filter B and I operate mainly CW. There is a lot to adjust on his rig to make it sound and operate just as you'd like. It's very flexible.

AE1CW Rating: 4/5 Jul 29, 2015 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Decent radio except 1 issue  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I ordered a new TS-590S in late December. I was told it was the last new TS-590S that HRO had in stock so it had all the factory fixes. I've upgraded to the latest firmware as well. I'm going to buck the trend here a bit with all the 5 star glowing reviews of the TS-590S. My biggest dislike with the radio is primarily related to CW operation. There is too much ringing or that hollow, metallic sound with the DSP bandwidth filters on CW. It's very apparent to me from 600Hz and narrower. This makes it difficult to pull out weaker signals and is also fatiguing to listen to. The NR2 for CW is also pretty much ineffective or distorts the signal too much. I've recently experimented with a passive audio filter and it takes out a fair amount of this ringing/hollow noise on CW. I don't have much experience with the newest radios with DSP bandwidth filters. This ringing/hollow sound may be an issue with most all of them. Other than this issue, I think it's a great radio. I use it with most all the digital modes, voice and CW, but this issue is enough to make me want to search out another radio that has better CW receive audio.