Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Kenwood TS-590S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-590S
Kenwood TS-590S Reviews: 291 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1799.99
Description: The TS-590S marks a bold new chapter in Kenwood's proud history of manufacturing high-performance transceivers. Featuring a narrow-band Roofing Filter the TS-590S significantly reduces interference from unwanted signals that would be hidden to lesser rigs. With IF AGC based on advanced DSP technology, Kenwood has essentially redefined HF performance.

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-590S.

N7RD Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2015 16:53 Send this review to a friend
CW Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this rig used, probably the best buy I've made to date. Was using a IC-756 Pro II for long time and really like the rig. After getting over the size being so small I love this rig. I only operate CW and this is a CW dream of a rig. The receiver is outstanding, hear things I never heard with the Icom. After getting use to size and all the functions it is now my #1 rig and the Icom sets with the cover on it. What a good job Kenwood did with this one and for the price I feel I stole it.

Ron N7RD
EA2DPO Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2015 10:05 Send this review to a friend
AMAZING  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio for about 2 years, and all I can say it is an amazing radio. For the cost you can't find something better. The build quality is great and has a very good receiver.

If the TS 590 SG is better, I canīt magine the quality so great that it will be.

100% recommend it

It will give you many satisfactions
VK4WTN Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2015 21:45 Send this review to a friend
cw rx quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my TS590 for about 4 years and there is a lot to like about it.TX audio is great, digi modes are so easy and SSB rx quality excellent.
However on cw receive I have to agree with the earlier comments from AE1CW the cw audio on weak to medium signals is average at best.I have tried all of the filter,equaliser and AGC settings but with cw signals and band noise rx audio quality is very average and if you use narrow filtering it is almost unreadable at times. I believe it is caused by the receivers reaction to signals and various types of noise.On HF the noise floor here is usually about s5 (most likely a combination of all the cheap chinese electronic devices in the area) and I think that the receiver reacts badly to cw signals and noise. I use 6 meters a lot which is a quieter band and CW sounds a lot more pleasant, which kind of confirms my suspicion that the TS590 reacts badly to this type of noise on cw.I would love to try my radio in a quiet location just to see the difference.Otherwise a good solid radio
regards Wayne VK4WTN
WB2KSP Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2015 17:54 Send this review to a friend
CW receive audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
AE1CW, I'll keep this short. Have you tried adjusting the receive EQ? When I first turned on the radio in 2011, I didn't care for the audio quality,as it came from the factory. My settings now are SFT 80 and WDH 400 on If filter A and SFT 800 and 200 on IF Filter B and I operate mainly CW. There is a lot to adjust on his rig to make it sound and operate just as you'd like. It's very flexible.
AE1CW Rating: 4/5 Jul 29, 2015 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Decent radio except 1 issue  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I ordered a new TS-590S in late December. I was told it was the last new TS-590S that HRO had in stock so it had all the factory fixes. I've upgraded to the latest firmware as well. I'm going to buck the trend here a bit with all the 5 star glowing reviews of the TS-590S. My biggest dislike with the radio is primarily related to CW operation. There is too much ringing or that hollow, metallic sound with the DSP bandwidth filters on CW. It's very apparent to me from 600Hz and narrower. This makes it difficult to pull out weaker signals and is also fatiguing to listen to. The NR2 for CW is also pretty much ineffective or distorts the signal too much. I've recently experimented with a passive audio filter and it takes out a fair amount of this ringing/hollow noise on CW. I don't have much experience with the newest radios with DSP bandwidth filters. This ringing/hollow sound may be an issue with most all of them. Other than this issue, I think it's a great radio. I use it with most all the digital modes, voice and CW, but this issue is enough to make me want to search out another radio that has better CW receive audio.
K2JF Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2015 14:02 Send this review to a friend
CW treat  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This will be simple: I sold my Icom 7410 just for the heck of trying something different and found a really nice deal with AES on a used 590S in great condition. As a 100% CW op I can't talk about the transmit audio or anything like that. But there are two things I totally love about this radio. 1) the CW Tune function where you zero beat a station. I don't know how many times I've missed making a DX contact for just being a tad off in frequency. 2) I can easily see and adjust the CW speed. That always frustrated me on the Icom radios - those tiny pots.
I'm still working around the menu system and am having no difficulty with it. I also like the smaller footprint of the radio.
WB2KSP Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2015 17:56 Send this review to a friend
A terrific and flexible radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my TS-590 in late 2011. The radio has a reputation for being a very good CW rig with a great receiver. Until recently I believed the standard review of the 590 with it's low average SSB output because to be honest, until recently my SSB results have been hit and miss. When I purchased the radio I bought a Heil Pro Set elite headset. I found it uncomfortable and heavy with a pretty poor excuse for a mic boom. I replaced the earpads which made the headset at least less painful to wear. About a year ago a wire inside the pro set elite broke and so it was back to Heil for repair. (they are a delight to deal with I should add). While the headset was in for repair I bought a Heil Pro Set headset, which it seems is everything the Elite is except it's far more comfortable and has a real adjustable boom for the mic element which is identical to the elite (HC6). It's also FAR more comfortable to wear.

So, with that in mind I went about adjusting the audio on my radio for my specific headset mic. Heil recommends the user set the radios EQ preset at the C setting.

I chose the U position instead and set my EQ up via the ARCP-590 software. I cut the lows by a db or so and boosted the mids by as much as 3 db and cut everything over 3.9 KHz (with a 3K bandwidth the best your going to get is 3 K audio so making adjustments above 3 KHz is a waste of time and anyway, for communications there isn't much in that range of the human voice that really matters).

I set up the mic gain so that alc level only went outside of the alc meter on voice peaks (peaks cause the meter to swing far above the alc max but the meter never "pins" on peaks).

I set the processing input so that the audio again only went slightly outside of the alc zone on peaks and the output was set so that the audio peaks didn't go out of the ALC range.

My settings are Mic level: 38; Procc input 35 and procc output 29.

My audio is now consistently loud but not distorted. I am making contacts where, even though my signal isn't as strong as some other stations on the S meter, my audio gets me through the pileup.

I'm only running 100 watts to a Inverted vee at 75 feet.

With these settings my average audio level is always near 75 watts or more on the 590 power meter.

So, to conclude, what I've discovered is that the 590 is as good as any other radio with the advantage of Kenwoods trademark quality stock audio when it is set up properly. It's not easy to do it and it does take time.

With my other Kenwood radios (520se and 430) you plugged in your mic and away you went. That's no longer the case. There's no quick fix to get the best audio out of the radio but when the mic is set up properly, the 590 works as well in ssb as it does in CW.
VA2DV Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2015 09:22 Send this review to a friend
A real bargain on the used market  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After a few years with a nice Icom 7200, i decided to treat myself when a clean TS-590S appeared on the local used market. At first, I was a little affraid by the extensive menu system but it was just a question of a few days to manage it.
I think the thing I like the most is the ability to open up the passband up to 5 KHz to get the most from the wider audio bandwidths. Coupled with a simple SP-23 also from Kenwood, it's now a real pleasure to listen ragchewing on 80m at night. When I chase DX on the higher bands, it takes seconds to get the thing down to 2.6 KHz wide and get into serious listening. The DSP noise reduction is effective at moderate level and do help in certain situations. I also find the NB2 feature to be useful for a local power line noise that was impossible to remove with my previous rig. I also really like the built-in autotuner. It is lightning fast and help me to match the input of numerous linears amplifiers. I am very happy with my purchase. A full featured, fantastic receiver, for the price of a plain basic new rig. Well done Kenwood.
NW9R Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2015 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio Great Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had a couple of 590s in the past and came back to one now. Planning on keeping this one. For the $ spent (typically less than $1100) you get one hell of a receiver with top notch performance.

I compared mine to a PRO2 on 6 meters and honestly, the 590 was a bit quieter and more sensitive in hearing a weak signal. On the PRO2 I could hear about 60% of the transmission and on the 590 like %90 or greater (without any NR).

Radio is easy to use, takes some learning to use it well and just about the right size for portable or expedition use. Great for base too and easy to read legends on it.

I don't go much on numbers alone but on the ergonmics, functionality and how much enjoyment it is to use. So won't go into the numbers jazz.

All in all, I would but this radio again if I had to. Great to use, solid performer and a great contest radio that won't wear me out.
W0DKM Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2015 12:28 Send this review to a friend
WOW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This rig is Great. I have it on NR1 at 5 and high boost 2. I use the internal speaker. And can listen for hours. No speaker I have makes it sound any better.
No good or bad comments on my audio, but I don't talk that much. Never had a rig like this that I don't need speakers or audio DSP to enjoy.
I enjoyed the TS870, TS570. But this rig is by far and away, better. Feels like a Volvo, or BMW.
I will try my hand at CW again. It seems perfect for CW. Narrow and Clean signals.
Pleased as Punch.
Bought it used at 1K, cant beat that.