Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Kenwood TS-590S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-590S
Kenwood TS-590S Reviews: 281 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1799.99
Description: The TS-590S marks a bold new chapter in Kenwood's proud history of manufacturing high-performance transceivers. Featuring a narrow-band Roofing Filter the TS-590S significantly reduces interference from unwanted signals that would be hidden to lesser rigs. With IF AGC based on advanced DSP technology, Kenwood has essentially redefined HF performance.
More info: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/HF_Base_Mobile/TS-590S

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-590S.

W8WAW Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2015 23:19 Send this review to a friend
Does it all  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great work a little radio and all the possibilities that you would ever want. A signal link I have for digital and it works really well. The differences you use USB instead of digital mode.
I also use Dragon to change what I say in the words on the screen makes it much easier than typing everything. It works flawlessly with both of my rigs.
Anyone who purchases this radio will be happy with it.

N8USA Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2015 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There are so many things that I can cover I don't know where to start.
This is my second 590S. the first time around I guess I was afraid of all the buttons and the menu. I gave myself and the rig a little room and I actually am learning how to operate the radio as sure has a lot. The menu is actually easy to use and so vast, it covers most everything. There is most everything that can be done with it and the receiver is excellent. I've had many other rigs and I think this is the best. The only one I think the receiver may have been equal to or better was the Flex 5000A. Although I've only had this a few months, the second one that is, I would have to say whoever purchases this radio would be very happy with it.

2E0VOV Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2015 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Worth every penny  Time owned: more than 12 months
I upgraded from a 706mk2G and the difference is like night and day!. The DSP is very effective, the filters too and the ATU is very quick indeed. The radio can be plugged to a PC using a standard printer lead which is useful for Digital modes. Our Radio club was running a FT1000mk5 until I put this in the shack for a A/B test, now the club has one of these too.
For the price its in a league of its own.

IK4VFD Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2015 08:01 Send this review to a friend
i love IT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this radio, seems made for me, perfect in all controls, quick menu with favorite voices, a good feeling in cw tx and a receiver very pleasant and quiet ... I could make comparisons with 7600 ic and k3 (with last sint ) and I can guarantee that in the cw 590 holds head without problems ... in ssb listening is not as "hot" as in icom even after adjusting equalizer with custom, emphasizing the bass tones, but you do not get the quality ( I talk about bf) of k3 and 7600 ...
The thing I do not like is a hiss, audible to the audio output, that I delete, with the filters of my sp20, and that is audible even in sg (strange that the legendary kenwood falls into this thing)
I could make a comparison a / b with a 590 sg, I noticed a different listening cw, obviously all settings were identical (hard reset), but the S version has a listening softer tones slightly more "hot" ... which to my ear sounds better, in ssb this "effect" is missing ... probably the new roofing filter has different cuts ...
tests on weak signals, both cw and ssb, no remarkable difference ...
I held my S ...

AL7LO Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2015 16:18 Send this review to a friend
Super receiver!  Time owned: more than 12 months
In urban Anchorage we have a lot of noise to contend with. I spent a lot of time shopping this time for a radio that was affordable with the best receiver possible. In the past three years of ownership, the ability of this radio to allow me to operate with ease on HF is wonderful. I have to admit I have been a Kenwood owner for years with both the TS-440 and the TS-480. This radio is certainly a step up from those.

To really appreciate the radio you do need to experiment with the settings and in each mode. Though it won't be long and you will be able to pull them out of the noise.

N5PHT Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2015 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Don't forget to make it your own with the PF buttons! Made a big difference for me. I was really having difficult time with the TF-SET but programmed the PF B for that function and now wonderful with one hand using split.
First six months and over 16,000 QSOs. Nice rig.
Got tired of the 746s backlight issue (had 3 of them go bad).

N1UHF Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2015 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had to give a review after reading the previous reviewer's comments on the radio. First off, 5 is not for perfect a radio but a great one. Like many other hams, I wish this site had 1/2 stars. So because it's not perfect the reviewer gives it 80% rating! Seems like on eham a radio with ave of 4 isn't very good at all and has lots of problems.
Ok, so on with the review. Pros of the radio are:
-Very quiet receiver
-Cool running with giant heat sinks and fans
-beautiful easy to read and easy on the eyes display
-easy access to most features with the buttons
-very good internal tuner
-3 antenna connectors (one for receive only)
-IF DSP that works great
- decent stock mic
-Clean output
-Menu system has instructions on screen!

Cons
-can't think of any

KJ4VTH Rating: 4/5 Jan 11, 2015 17:30 Send this review to a friend
very fine radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
After a few years of ownership, I find this to be a very good rig. I won't rate it a 5 because it's not perfect (who is?) but it certainly suits my needs.

Simple USB connection to PC for digital modes is fabulous. No trouble with SSB output though I haven't put a micrometer inline. Now that I'm getting into CW, find a few "birdies" though they might be other devices at my neighbors home, to be determined. No amp so no known overshoot issues.

Doesn't keep my coffee warm so I'm going to stick with 4 rating. 73, KJ4VTH

N7RST Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2015 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, since you can't update a posting, here is my update since I have "learned" more about how to use this radio.

I am not a NR fan, but I will say this. When working weak signal DX with lots noise, I kick in the filters of course and then NR1 at setting 8 or so, and it does make a big difference. No, the station doesn't jump into my lap, but it certainly does come up significantly over the noise. Made the difference many times trying to work a DX station on 40 meters with high noise levels. Won't go into all the other aspects of the radio, mentioned enough already. Is the 590SG worth the $700 or more over a 590S? Not in my opinion. From the very limited dynamic range increase (less than 5 DB), certainly not something I would ever hear or notice. No, will stick with the 590. Try one for an extended period of time, to learn it, and I think you will come to the same conclusion.

N7WR Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2014 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Now that I have used the radio a lot more (13,000 ARRL Centennial QSO's) I am amazed at the receiver. I cannot tell you how many stations I could hear crystal clear even when their signal strength did not register on the S meter at all. IMO the receiver makes the radio and this one is outstanding