Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-590S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-590S
Kenwood TS-590S Reviews: 272 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1799.99
Description: The TS-590S marks a bold new chapter in Kenwood's proud history of manufacturing high-performance transceivers. Featuring a narrow-band Roofing Filter the TS-590S significantly reduces interference from unwanted signals that would be hidden to lesser rigs. With IF AGC based on advanced DSP technology, Kenwood has essentially redefined HF performance.
More info: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/HF_Base_Mobile/TS-590S

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-590S.

K3LRH Rating: 4/5 Oct 25, 2014 08:44 Send this review to a friend
Almost a "5"  Time owned: more than 12 months
October marks the four year anniversary of my TS-590S, purchased in October 2010. Aside from a couple of hardware problems that Kenwood took care of.... eventually, the rig has been splendid. In particular the F901 and ALC response issues were bothersome. I have had no other problems with my early issue rig. Areas for improvement still exist for me however. Namely the NR is kind of lame on SSB and could stand to be improved. Also, a higher grade TCXO could be included from the factory. That being said, I do a lot of digital communication and I find that once the rig temperature stabilizes, the standard XO is just fine. A lot of ops are now installing cheap Chinese TCXOs and are having good results....at a much lower price than the Kenwood temperature compensated oscillator. Recently, some ops of new TS590s are experiencing some intermittency in either TX, RX or both. This has been traced to a common fix having to do with jumper wire connections.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the '590 for my style of operation. Not quite a "5". but very close. There are no other current rigs on the market that I could be tempted with to replace my '590. Even the new TS-590SG would have to be a major improvement for me to considering upgrading. The TS-590S is a very competent and easy to use transceiver.

LA8VSA Rating: 1/5 Oct 20, 2014 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Kenwood shame on you  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Second brand new TS-590 in my shack not working.
First one problem cutting TX and latest RX failure.
I think Yaesu is better workhorses and powerful radios for dx.

W7ARX Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2014 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for the $$  Time owned: more than 12 months
COuldn't update my post with so posting this update. The 590 I had back when the overshoot was an issue, was totally resolved with the KND "fix". The current one I have now, works fine with my AMP without any faults tripping or noted overshoot. I have a peak meter and only note a slight overshoot which most of the radios I have do likewise, but nothing signficant to notice. Great kenwood will "fix" the issue (too bad they didn't after it was brought to their attention) but far better then some encoutered with ICOM.

Anyway, I think everyone has posted about the receiver which is great. I think the radio is a bit compact for me, and not a fan of dual function keys, but to each their own. Easy to use, and hears quieter then my big radio.

For the dollars they are being "closed out" for, you can't go wrong. Will be very very curious just how much "better" the 590SG will be. Afterall, the 756PROII wasn't that much less than the PROIII, and the FT-2000 was less of a performer then the 950.

K4IIE Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2014 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using the 590 for over a year.Compares in performance to my FT1000D,which is tweaked and is the best rig I've ever owned.Receiver is excellent and always get compliments on transmit audio with MC60A.A best buy.Compared it to 3 other rigs at twice the price and it always came out on top.The SG upgrades coming soon will make it even better.Another great Kenwood-K4IIE

K1PJR Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2014 21:44 Send this review to a friend
PEP issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this rig for over a year. Claims that its PEP output are around 60 watts is completely unfounded. See the post below from QRZ on how to properly measure PEP for SSB. He does have a youtube vid but I can't seem to paste a link. I'm sure if you search TS590 PEP issue on youtube you can find it.

" I decided to use my clubs power meter to make a video to show the truth about the claims of 60W-70W output on phone on the TS590. It is a proper meter for measuring SSB and not a mickey mouse PEP meter function as typically fitted to meters such as the Avair 200,400,600 and variants as well as some cross needle ones . This meter will also measure PEP normally the same way that these mickey mouse meters do and the difference is quite startling as you'll see in the video and goes a very long way to why people only think it outputs 60-70W. Just because the TS590 doesn't have the power meter smacking the 100W mark when you're talking as my Icom 7000 does and my FT950 did, it doesn't mean that it is not outputting 100W as you'll see in the video. "

BTW I use the Peak hold function on my Palstar tuner and it always reads 100 watts.

Phil
K1PJR

KC4CQS Rating: 3/5 Oct 10, 2014 21:38 Send this review to a friend
Low PEP Output  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Tested on Peak Reading Meters, two to be exact. 65 watts Peak Max. Receiver Very Good but Output was lacking. Had a 7410 Icom next to it and my contact said, "What a difference, you really came up a lot. Oh well, your mileage may vary. I will avoid this one.

NO0OO Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2014 19:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased mine in early 2014 at Orlando Hamcation. Comparing against the other sub-$2000 rigs onsite I was floored by the excellent receive and DSP capability. Add the direct USB digital connection and the general functionality and it was a no-brainer to buy it. I'm still thrilled with it and I highly recommend it. It's not a massive contest rig, but it also doesn't require a second mortgage.

KK7XE Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2014 04:24 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned the 590S for about two weeks and as the days and time spent using the radio go by, I am more impressed with the way it receives and transmits. Based on comments from those I talk with, it's working quite well and is very easy to use, menu's and all. I had an Icom 7200 prior to this and through the years have had many other fine radio's such as FT-990, IC-765, TS-830 and a number of other rigs, from true boat anchors to newer and smaller. Got to love technology and what is has to offer in the Amateur Radio hobby. have at one time had the TS-570 and the 590 is close to size but much more complete as it's packed with everything one would want in a full function, fully featured radio. I enjoy the bigger display and have zero problems setting the receive up to sound very good for my ears and easy to eliminate any sort of interference. Using an inverted-L antenna with a remote tuner, which does quite well with the 100 watts. Never been a big fan of internal tuners and cannot comment on the one in this radio as I have yet to use or need it. I also have an Ameritron ATR-30 tuner should the need arise. It's a simple and easy to use rig on CW and SSB. Have yet to use some of the digital modes but am sure it will work great. It fits nicely in my roll top desk and am sure it will be here for a good long time. For the price I believe it is a great deal. It does what it's suppose to and is fun to use. The controls and ergonomics of the radio are to me, very pleasing. One more thing, I do like the fact that I can plug in both my straight key as well as my paddles. To me that was a thoughtful idea in the fact I enjoy using both types of keys.

K1MLP Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2014 16:27 Send this review to a friend
Superb Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned this radio for about 3 months, and all i can say it is a terrific radio. I have tried many other radios Yaesu,Elecraft and Icom still own my 570DG use for digital but for the cost you can't beat the 590S. The build quality is great and there antenna tuner works on almost everything. I am mostly a CW operator so can't talk about SSB but if it is like the 570DG than I know it is good. Right now HRO is selling for $1259.00 which is a bargain.

N5PHT Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2014 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned this one week and made 220 contacts so I thought an initial brief review would be good. I have had the IC 746 and then the 746PRO and that has been my primary reference point for many years so now new to Kenwood and decided on the 590S. I really like radio. It is a little small for my hands but I am getting used to it and I built a small wood stand that fits neatly under the bail and that makes it much easier on the dials for myself. email me (qrz) if you want a picture.

I thought it would be best to just say that I do like the 590S and so far have found a few things that I miss in my 746PRO but the following I actually find an improvement on the 746PRO:

Some things I like better on the 590S:

* Adjustment of CW key speed is not guess work with nice readout of speed.
* Two complete sets of menus for different environments (RVing for example I take no amp)
* Antenna Tuner is very fast and seems wide range.
* SWR foldback not nearly as aggressive as the 746PRO.
* Programmable buttons
* RTTY with just USB cable
* PWR readout in addition to bar
* Recording of CW messages with key with my own fist.

NOTE: there is also two sets (A and B) of the band stacking registers and that took some getting used to but once I realized it this is a nice feature.

So, with only a week and 200 or so QSOs I am happy. I really got tired of the failure of the backlight on my 746s (three times total).