Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Kenwood TS-590S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-590S
Kenwood TS-590S Reviews: 282 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1799.99
Description: The TS-590S marks a bold new chapter in Kenwood's proud history of manufacturing high-performance transceivers. Featuring a narrow-band Roofing Filter the TS-590S significantly reduces interference from unwanted signals that would be hidden to lesser rigs. With IF AGC based on advanced DSP technology, Kenwood has essentially redefined HF performance.
More info: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/HF_Base_Mobile/TS-590S

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-590S.

XV4TUJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2013 00:19 Send this review to a friend
Buy one, you will not regret it  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second review, more than one year and half after buying the rig, so I will keep it short.
Great receiver, great ergonomic, and a lot of interesting features for a DXer. Unbeatable for its price.
Only two things that I would like different : you cannot choose two filters setting for VFO A/B, the keyer does not provide auto-spacing. Apart from that, nothing needs improvement.

Yan - XV4Y.

K5BJM Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2013 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Still a GREAT RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
After operating the radio since Nov. 2011 I have to say that you cannot buy a better radio in this price range or in a lot of higher priced radios. The receive on this radio is outstanding! The transmit gives me unsolicited audio reports which is the best kind. I have heard some say there is low output in SSB. I say your are full of BULL. Just get a good peak reading meter and you would see that the output is always above 100 Watts in SSB mode! It has such a fast response some meters won't show it. I am glad that I own this Kenwood which is and will continue to be one of those collector radios that everyone wants.

K1PGS Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2013 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
TS-590 replaced my FT-950 18 months ago. I just love this radio. Easy to use, great audio reports with a fantastic receiver. I have had a few radios over the last 48 years in ham radio but the TS-590 is one of the best.

N4WRE Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2012 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig For The Money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had the 590 about 6 months and I have no complaints. Simple set up HB2 and Audio Technica mic works for me with good audio reports. Rig is a bit small and has the mobile sound out of the factory speaker. I would recomend a good external speaker. I use the Voice Master Pro and really like how it sounds now. The software from Kenwood works with ease as well. I like to operate it as well as my 870 so that is a feather in the 590s cap.

Marty N4WRE

K4RCG Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2012 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Solid HF Xcvr  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wasn't totally happy with Yaesu FT950 and started to read reviews of potential replacement rigs. The TS590s was chosen and placed into operation 25Dec12. Been licensed since 1971 and this rig is the best I've ever operated. The comments and reviews seen here and elsewhere are spot on....nothing is "perfect", but this rig approaches...amazing receiver....have not noticed problems with ALC that could not be corrected with proper adjustment. No problems with linear amp....very easy to mate with HRD for rig control and digi modes. I'm thrilled...surpasses FT950 in many areas. Price point is very good for a rig with this level of performance. Would buy again...

N3HAM Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2012 16:07 Send this review to a friend
A Fine Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thought about getting this rig ever since I saw the first review. I haven't been disappointed. As mostly a CW op it proved itself when a RTTY station decided to transmit on a 40m frequency I and a QRP station were on. The receiver's filtering pulled him out deftly. If it lasts as long as my 430, also a testament to Kenwood longevity, I'll be a happy camper.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2012 18:30 Send this review to a friend
A bargain on the used market.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second review of this fine rig. It should be rated 4.9. A simple to use high quality rig with very few faults. One of the simplest menus of any current production rig. It has a wonderful receiver for most of us with lots of features. My review is based on being a cw op with some contesting but mostly rag chewing. I have owned numerous current production radios and firmly believe this is a high quality radio at a reasonable price. I have compared it to my K3, Pro3, Eagle etc and must say it remains one of my favorites. Highly recommended.

KE0Q Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2012 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding XCVR!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Four days ago I received a new TS-590S from HRO in Phoenix. I had debated for a number of months whether I would purchase a TS-590S or a FT-950 and after reading multiple reviews, checking out the specs, and then twisting a few knobs at HRO and listening to these two radios, I decided on the TS-590S. I have found the radio fairly user friendly, the DSP, NB and filtering is top-notch, and the audio is excellent. The TS-590S has lots of bells and whistles and I'm sure that it will take a lot of time to discover what it will do, but so far I'm extremely happy with this radio. I've never had a radio with a better receiver, and practically every contact I've made there have been positive comments on the good audio. Kenwood definitely has a winner here! By the way, HRO in Phoenix provided excellent, friendly service and technical expertise.

OH3KVZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2012 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Grat little rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After 19 years my old,trusty JST135 was outdated and it was time to buy a new transceiver. I had two options, FT950 and TS590s. It was very difficult to made decision. I choose Kenwood because it's tuner is faster and i don't want to lost in menus. This transceiver fullfilled my expectations. It is easy to use, compact, and roofing filter helps me to reject splatters and pick up weak stations. Receiver is quiet and audio quality is excellent.

I would definitely purchase a TS590S again and it will keep it as my main rig for many years.

K4TMN Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2012 10:57 Send this review to a friend
The TS-590S is becoming a legendary rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This rig is supposed to be my last rig. I have purchased too many almost-perfect rigs and lost money on each sale when I found that I didn't like something about it. But I decided to do more research this time and get a "keeper". The Kenwood TS-590S is a keeper! This radio has the best receive of any radio that I have had in the past. I have had newer Yaesu HF rigs and some older Kenwood rigs and this is by far the only one that satisfies my requirement for SSB and CW.

The TS-590S has several ways to tune a frequency. You can use the tuning knob, direct entry, programmable memories, or each band button cycles through three recent frequencies.

On CW and SSB you do not need any filters. They are all built in, with CW as narrow as 50 hertz, and you can adjust the center frequency to where ever you are comfortable. On SSB the top and bottom parts of the audio spectrum are adjustable to narrow the audio to your ear. But - to top this off, the radio also has built in roofing filters for SSB/AM and CW. The roofing filter for CW is 500 hertz and for SSB/AM is is 3KHz. Together these filters eliminate adjacent interference as well or better than anything I have used.

As to transmit, I have received excellent reports from all my QSOs. I really like that idea that the output power is fully adjustable from 5 watts to 100 watts. If you feel the need to work QRP, then you don't need to buy another rig for that.

There are many other things about this radio that I love (like the look and feel, as well as control placement), but I want to keep this review short.

In summary, the TS-590S has one of the best receivers today (do a search and see), adjustable receive bandwidth and audio range, a very sensitive receiver, all kinds of frequency memories, excellent XMIT audio (adjustable), dual filtering (roofing and DSP IF filtering), all modes, antenna switch, VLF capable, compact, easy to use.... I could go on and on. This rig is a keeper.