Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-590S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-590S
Kenwood TS-590S Reviews: 272 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1799.99
Description: The TS-590S marks a bold new chapter in Kenwood's proud history of manufacturing high-performance transceivers. Featuring a narrow-band Roofing Filter the TS-590S significantly reduces interference from unwanted signals that would be hidden to lesser rigs. With IF AGC based on advanced DSP technology, Kenwood has essentially redefined HF performance.
More info: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/HF_Base_Mobile/TS-590S

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-590S.

K2DER Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2014 03:41 Send this review to a friend
The Best Bang For The Buck   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just write this for the record: it's my second unit TS-590 is amazing, now take your time and read the review from a lot of happy owner down there.

OK1DTM Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2014 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this transceiver for two year and have to say this is a great rig. The receiver is the best I have ever used and all functions have worked flawlessly.
If you can't pull a signal out of the town noise, it can be done. The controls and the menu are very intuitive. Latest firmware 1.08 this update has been a noticeable improvement. If you want a great rig that gets the job done, this is the one!

VE3OLH Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2014 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought an "as new" 590 and it was all I hoped for and I have had several modern rigs. On a whim I sold it to buy a competitor's rig. Alas the new rig was not all it ought to have been. So...now I have another TS590 and it will be buried with me! The Kenwood's NB and NR do a great job. I can also use the DSP to eliminate unwanted adjacent signals. I get great unsolicited audio reports using a Kenwood MC60A desk mic. The menus are easy to maneuver even for a 72 year old. Buy it, you will love it!

LISTENER007 Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2014 15:25 Send this review to a friend
An update from before...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I still mark only this 4 out of 5 as of yet because although I have given the receive side of things a good workout, I still haven't had a lot of time actually transmitting on it yet. The few times I have pushed the button, the reports back are generally good but a good transmit workout is still needed to give this wonderful set a final score. I just need to find that magic EQ setting for my voice...

In day to day use, I have found that the 590 is truly wonderful as a receiver and further from my last mini type review, I have this time, used many of the adjustments, whereas last time I just straight compared it to the Icom 706MKII-G without the aid of any of them. The 706 still holds its own as a great mobile rig as far as general receive quality goes against the 590,, but once you kick into top gear and begin to use the many settings on the 590S, you soon begin to see how good this rig can get and just how amazing you can zoom right in on most receive signals. There is a truckload of settings and adjustments available to you and "IF" one thing can be said as a slight negative towards the 590, it is that you sometimes have to find just the right setting(s) if you really want to pull a weak signal out of the murk. This though, the 590 does very efficiently and after a few more weeks of expeimenting with these settings, I have become truly amazed at just how good it can do its assigned task in the receive department. Not only can you grab ahold of weak and/or noisy signals, but once you focus in on them, you can make the audio quality of it so different by changing the filtration or EQ'ing that it can sound great on different speakers or ear-piercing if you want loudness. The Kenwood TS-590S is truly technology in action at a realistic price.. I love it. Full marks here to Kenwood...!!!

I will close by saying that despite all the many different setting available and sometimes having to experiment for a while to find the best all-round combination, the receive capability of the 590S is quite fantastic. I promise to get some TX'ng in just as soon as possible. Right now, I am just plain too busy and can't afford the lengthy time needed to enjoy the enjoyment of transmitting...!!!

73's

VK4WTN Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2014 02:32 Send this review to a friend
a great allrounder  Time owned: more than 12 months
I thought I would right a review after having my TS590 for 3 years. For the price there is nothing to compare to it.On RX the filters work well and the radio is sensitive.NB and NR work ok on some noise but not on others. TX is good, I get nice audio reports on SSB with my Shure 444 mic. CW TX is great with the internal keyer. I have just started using digital modes and having the USB input is just great.Yes there are most likely some radios that are a bit better than the TS590 but you will pay a lot more for them. The TS590 is just a good all rounder and I would highly recommend it.

IK0YKM Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2014 00:36 Send this review to a friend
Good transceiver !!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the TS 590 a few weeks ago. It 'a great transceiver reminiscent of the TS 2000, limited to HF.
Very versatile and ergonomic design, very portable.
I am very satisfied.
Henry

N5XRD Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2014 11:33 Send this review to a friend
great radioi  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have now owned the TS-590s for about 3 months. And after getting acquainted moe f ully with it, I am convinced that it is one sweet radio. It does about everything that I want and I like how it works. I do mostly PSK and sme CW. Living in a retirement apartment with no ouisde antennas allowed, and no attic, it does just fine. You can see this fr om my page on QRZ.

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2014 04:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Don't be put off by negative reports on this radio!
I would only add that I use an ICOM SM-20 mic and have the processor set to give a small amount of compression 5db and to lift the high frequencies!
It gives truly excellent performance on cw and digital modes and is a good buy for those who don't want the extra expense and sophistication of the excellent Elecraft K3!
Check out G3NRWs site for valuable info on the 590S

AF5IU Rating: 2/5 May 24, 2014 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Audio distortion  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My SECOND TS-590S that I bought at HRO less than two weeks ago exhibited what one ham described as “talking underwater” when I talked to him earlier this week. One of the ham operators sounded like he was "talking under water" to
me as well. They both agreed that I sounded distorted or garbled. This problem happened randomly on any band. It sounded to me like digital artifacts. I was talking to two different hams on each side of the country at the same
time and they both heard the same thing. Signal strength was no issue. This happened to me on another TS-590S that I bought in April at a local ham store as well. There are others on eHam.net that experienced this. You can refer to this as "distorted audio", "garbled audio", "digital artifacts" or the "talking under water" effect. They are all the same thing. My house is 10 years old. My electrical wiring is not the problem either. I have no problems with any other radio. I tried two different power supplies, the MC-90 microphone, the stock microphone, and two different antennas. I tried lowering the power from 100 watts to 70 or 80. I tried a FULL RESET. No NR, NB, or Notch. I did not use the speech processor. I have a dedicated ground rod outside for my radio. Nothing I tried made any
difference. This happens on transmit AND receive. The radio was not next to anything that should be causing this to happen. I live on an acre so there is nothing nearby outside that would cause this. It does not happen on my TS-2000. I have owned that radio for 10 months. That radio is a perfect gem in my book. From other reviews on various radios, it can take several years to work out all of the bugs in a radio. When you buy a new radio, you are just a beta tester. Do NOT pay a 15% restocking fee like so many others do when sending back a radio. Kenwood and the other radio manufacturers should be paying YOU to test out a new radio, not the other way around. I realize that many others are very happy with this radio, but it was a nightmare for me. I dealt with the ONE support guy in California and the national sales rep on the first radio and I never want to do that again. Kenwood support is lacking to say
the least. I am just being nice. I have multiple recordings that verify this problem. I can say nothing but great things about Mark and his staff at HRO in Atlanta. This second radio goes back today and I am enjoying my TS-2000 more than ever because I realize now that just because you get a newer radio does not mean it is better. The TS-2000 beats the TS-590 hands down, plus it has 2 meters (100 watts) and 70cm (50 watts). When you hear that a radio is "long on the tooth" that is a good thing. If radio manufacturers had to follow the same rules as automobile manufacturers things would be quite different. The customer should not have to pay the price for a recall. The
serial number on my first TS-590S was B3900046. The serial number on the second one started with B44. The first one was made the end of 2013. The second one was made this year but I am not sure when. I would not buy another TS-590S
and would not recommend it.

WB9MSM Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2014 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely GREAT!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only owned my TS-590S for a little over a month but truly feel it is a great rig. Let me tell you that I think the receive is awesome. I still have a TS-2000 and think that it is a nice radio but not the same quality as this TS-590S. The receive is quiet and the audio coming from the SP-23 sounds almost FM quality. It seems that this rig has everything that I am looking for in a radio. The memory channels are nice to have for DXing. I purchased the voice recorder which I feel is a must for this radio. The free software that you download from the Kenwood site is also very nice and fully functional. All in all a really nice radio at a reasonable price. The only thing I wish they would of added was the capability to replay and re-transmit memory channel RX/4 for other hams to hear themselves. This would of been a nice feature for audio reports to fellow hams. I still like my TS-2000 but the TS-590S has replaced it as the #1 operating station in my shack.