Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-590S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-590S
Kenwood TS-590S Reviews: 275 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1799.99
Description: The TS-590S marks a bold new chapter in Kenwood's proud history of manufacturing high-performance transceivers. Featuring a narrow-band Roofing Filter the TS-590S significantly reduces interference from unwanted signals that would be hidden to lesser rigs. With IF AGC based on advanced DSP technology, Kenwood has essentially redefined HF performance.
More info: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/HF_Base_Mobile/TS-590S

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-590S.

KK7XE Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2014 04:24 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned the 590S for about two weeks and as the days and time spent using the radio go by, I am more impressed with the way it receives and transmits. Based on comments from those I talk with, it's working quite well and is very easy to use, menu's and all. I had an Icom 7200 prior to this and through the years have had many other fine radio's such as FT-990, IC-765, TS-830 and a number of other rigs, from true boat anchors to newer and smaller. Got to love technology and what is has to offer in the Amateur Radio hobby. have at one time had the TS-570 and the 590 is close to size but much more complete as it's packed with everything one would want in a full function, fully featured radio. I enjoy the bigger display and have zero problems setting the receive up to sound very good for my ears and easy to eliminate any sort of interference. Using an inverted-L antenna with a remote tuner, which does quite well with the 100 watts. Never been a big fan of internal tuners and cannot comment on the one in this radio as I have yet to use or need it. I also have an Ameritron ATR-30 tuner should the need arise. It's a simple and easy to use rig on CW and SSB. Have yet to use some of the digital modes but am sure it will work great. It fits nicely in my roll top desk and am sure it will be here for a good long time. For the price I believe it is a great deal. It does what it's suppose to and is fun to use. The controls and ergonomics of the radio are to me, very pleasing. One more thing, I do like the fact that I can plug in both my straight key as well as my paddles. To me that was a thoughtful idea in the fact I enjoy using both types of keys.

K1MLP Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2014 16:27 Send this review to a friend
Superb Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned this radio for about 3 months, and all i can say it is a terrific radio. I have tried many other radios Yaesu,Elecraft and Icom still own my 570DG use for digital but for the cost you can't beat the 590S. The build quality is great and there antenna tuner works on almost everything. I am mostly a CW operator so can't talk about SSB but if it is like the 570DG than I know it is good. Right now HRO is selling for $1259.00 which is a bargain.

N5PHT Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2014 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned this one week and made 220 contacts so I thought an initial brief review would be good. I have had the IC 746 and then the 746PRO and that has been my primary reference point for many years so now new to Kenwood and decided on the 590S. I really like radio. It is a little small for my hands but I am getting used to it and I built a small wood stand that fits neatly under the bail and that makes it much easier on the dials for myself. email me (qrz) if you want a picture.

I thought it would be best to just say that I do like the 590S and so far have found a few things that I miss in my 746PRO but the following I actually find an improvement on the 746PRO:

Some things I like better on the 590S:

* Adjustment of CW key speed is not guess work with nice readout of speed.
* Two complete sets of menus for different environments (RVing for example I take no amp)
* Antenna Tuner is very fast and seems wide range.
* SWR foldback not nearly as aggressive as the 746PRO.
* Programmable buttons
* RTTY with just USB cable
* PWR readout in addition to bar
* Recording of CW messages with key with my own fist.

NOTE: there is also two sets (A and B) of the band stacking registers and that took some getting used to but once I realized it this is a nice feature.

So, with only a week and 200 or so QSOs I am happy. I really got tired of the failure of the backlight on my 746s (three times total).

K2DER Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2014 03:41 Send this review to a friend
The Best Bang For The Buck   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just write this for the record: it's my second unit TS-590 is amazing, now take your time and read the review from a lot of happy owner down there.

OK1DTM Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2014 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this transceiver for two year and have to say this is a great rig. The receiver is the best I have ever used and all functions have worked flawlessly.
If you can't pull a signal out of the town noise, it can be done. The controls and the menu are very intuitive. Latest firmware 1.08 this update has been a noticeable improvement. If you want a great rig that gets the job done, this is the one!

VE3OLH Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2014 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought an "as new" 590 and it was all I hoped for and I have had several modern rigs. On a whim I sold it to buy a competitor's rig. Alas the new rig was not all it ought to have been. So...now I have another TS590 and it will be buried with me! The Kenwood's NB and NR do a great job. I can also use the DSP to eliminate unwanted adjacent signals. I get great unsolicited audio reports using a Kenwood MC60A desk mic. The menus are easy to maneuver even for a 72 year old. Buy it, you will love it!

LISTENER007 Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2014 15:25 Send this review to a friend
An update from before...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I still mark only this 4 out of 5 as of yet because although I have given the receive side of things a good workout, I still haven't had a lot of time actually transmitting on it yet. The few times I have pushed the button, the reports back are generally good but a good transmit workout is still needed to give this wonderful set a final score. I just need to find that magic EQ setting for my voice...

In day to day use, I have found that the 590 is truly wonderful as a receiver and further from my last mini type review, I have this time, used many of the adjustments, whereas last time I just straight compared it to the Icom 706MKII-G without the aid of any of them. The 706 still holds its own as a great mobile rig as far as general receive quality goes against the 590,, but once you kick into top gear and begin to use the many settings on the 590S, you soon begin to see how good this rig can get and just how amazing you can zoom right in on most receive signals. There is a truckload of settings and adjustments available to you and "IF" one thing can be said as a slight negative towards the 590, it is that you sometimes have to find just the right setting(s) if you really want to pull a weak signal out of the murk. This though, the 590 does very efficiently and after a few more weeks of expeimenting with these settings, I have become truly amazed at just how good it can do its assigned task in the receive department. Not only can you grab ahold of weak and/or noisy signals, but once you focus in on them, you can make the audio quality of it so different by changing the filtration or EQ'ing that it can sound great on different speakers or ear-piercing if you want loudness. The Kenwood TS-590S is truly technology in action at a realistic price.. I love it. Full marks here to Kenwood...!!!

I will close by saying that despite all the many different setting available and sometimes having to experiment for a while to find the best all-round combination, the receive capability of the 590S is quite fantastic. I promise to get some TX'ng in just as soon as possible. Right now, I am just plain too busy and can't afford the lengthy time needed to enjoy the enjoyment of transmitting...!!!

73's

VK4WTN Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2014 02:32 Send this review to a friend
a great allrounder  Time owned: more than 12 months
I thought I would right a review after having my TS590 for 3 years. For the price there is nothing to compare to it.On RX the filters work well and the radio is sensitive.NB and NR work ok on some noise but not on others. TX is good, I get nice audio reports on SSB with my Shure 444 mic. CW TX is great with the internal keyer. I have just started using digital modes and having the USB input is just great.Yes there are most likely some radios that are a bit better than the TS590 but you will pay a lot more for them. The TS590 is just a good all rounder and I would highly recommend it.

IK0YKM Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2014 00:36 Send this review to a friend
Good transceiver !!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the TS 590 a few weeks ago. It 'a great transceiver reminiscent of the TS 2000, limited to HF.
Very versatile and ergonomic design, very portable.
I am very satisfied.
Henry

N5XRD Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2014 11:33 Send this review to a friend
great radioi  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have now owned the TS-590s for about 3 months. And after getting acquainted moe f ully with it, I am convinced that it is one sweet radio. It does about everything that I want and I like how it works. I do mostly PSK and sme CW. Living in a retirement apartment with no ouisde antennas allowed, and no attic, it does just fine. You can see this fr om my page on QRZ.