Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-590S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-590S
Kenwood TS-590S Reviews: 274 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1799.99
Description: The TS-590S marks a bold new chapter in Kenwood's proud history of manufacturing high-performance transceivers. Featuring a narrow-band Roofing Filter the TS-590S significantly reduces interference from unwanted signals that would be hidden to lesser rigs. With IF AGC based on advanced DSP technology, Kenwood has essentially redefined HF performance.
More info: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/HF_Base_Mobile/TS-590S

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-590S.

IT9MOK Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2014 02:33 Send this review to a friend
perfect!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned the yaesu 950 for 1 year and it was a good radio but there is no comparison with the kenwood 590 ..
The kenwood has far superior materials, it is much easier to use the city.The more intuitive.
The filters work great, something that did not happen with the yaesu.
Without touching equalization various modulation is already very good.
In my opinion there is no comparison between the two.
Great many compliments kenwood radio ..

K1PMA Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2014 15:16 Send this review to a friend
One of my favorite radios  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After a Yaesu FT450D this was my second HF radio. What a difference. This radio is excellent. Great sounding audio and great reports. Add to that the included USB interface (at the time I was more into digital modes than SSB). Very good menu system. Sold it for one reason alone, no IF output and I really wanted to try out PowerSDR IF Stage so I got a Yaesu FTDX3000 instead. Looking back, for the roughly $1,500 price tag the Kenwood is a top performer.

K2TPZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2014 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have three fantastic rigs: KX3, Ten Tec Eagle and Kenwood TS 590. They all rate a 5+. With that said, no is perfect. If I could only keep one of these rigs I would have a tough time deciding.

The Eagle has the best received audio of the three with the KX3 following close behind. The KX3 is the most flexible of the three to operate and the TS 590 is a pleasure to use overall. On the downside, the Eagle lacks some features I wish it had, the TS 590 is a little less quiet to listen to and the KX3 is just a little (and I mean just a very little) less easy to use.

All three are on a par when it comes to selectivity, sensitivity and satisfaction of use. In my 55 years in the hobby I have finally found three rigs that I would find it hard to part with.

I am not an avid DX chaser (although I have my share of DX) or contester. I am mostly a CW operator although I spend some time on SSB Nets. Any one of these rigs would be an excellent station. I am just very lucky and satisfied to be able to own all three rigs.

PY1XM Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2014 17:23 Send this review to a friend
PY1WDS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
WONDERFUL RX.
VERY VERY GOOD RECEPTION,FANTASTIC CW OPERATION.I DO NOT OPERATE SSB. BUT I BELEIVE IT WILL BE ALSO VERY GUD.
73 ALBERTO PY1WDS.

LU7BSE Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2014 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Quality kenwood  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 2 years , I decided to change my 590, but I wondered what would . FTDX1200 had in sight , thanks to a friend who lent me the ftdx1200 for a week, I noticed the quality of completion of Kenwood, the reception of the 590 is the best, and all tests Realize lead me to 590 is better .
TS- 590, has better receiver, low noise , the tuner is ultra fast and noise-free quality of audio in RX is superior, has the filter 5k bandwidth , I like the ESSB and the 590 can appreciate the audio quality of my friends.
The first thing to note in the ftdx1200 , poor quality materials, sensitive and uncomfortable when VFO tuning the VFO adjustment ring is mediocre plastic toy looks , the 1200 receiver is noisy very noisy, poor audio quality to adjust the power you have to go to the menu and look for the function , I have to squeeze at least 5 Buttons , 590 in one period.
but when installed next to each other I realized that quality is SUPERIOR Kenwood throughout. once again, I'm glad to own a 590.

Finally ftdx1200 not have the USB port ,
My 590 has constanetemente and use to make recordings , radio management through me pc is easy.

I would have to compare with but I think FTDX3000 be the same, we used a TFT if the radius is poor

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2014 03:05 Send this review to a friend
Performance   Time owned: more than 12 months
Been almost 3 years now an am happier now than the day I got the radio, It is so easy to use an works so well for me, do not see how it could be made any better for my need, use the radio every day for hours, it hears as well as radios costing two to three its price, its has a consistent good receiver that can be tuned very easy for a great signal to noise ratio and still retreave the weak signals. Kenwood builds very good radio for the price paided.........KB6HRT

NK7J Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2014 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Keeps coming Back  Time owned: more than 12 months
This will be my third TS-590s.
The first two I sold to get "Better" radios. Before I had the IC-756Pro3 and loved the band scope. So when I went to the 590 I missed it sorely, or so I thought. Bought a FT-2000 with DMU and nice big LCD monitor... Great. I used the 590 and FT-2000 side by side and for RX the 590 won hands down, but sold it anyway. Then decided the scope was not worth the poor RX performance. Sold the FT-2000 and came home with another new TS-590s. It sat happily on my desk for a couple years and besides the lack of band scope loved the radio. Then the urge came back for band scope. Bought a IC-7600 and side by side the two radios were nearly identical on RX performance plus I had a scope... What more could I ask for.
Well the IC-7600 lacked some very important features that I found out I really liked. One is the ability to have the radio connected to a computer and turn it on remotely via USB. The IC-7600 ability to remote control it was limited to say the least, and Icom charges for the software.
And as far as ergonomics go, its really hard to beat the 590 layout. So traded the 7600 for a TS-590 (with a little cash mixed in) and back with my old friend on the desk.
For the money this radio is very hard to beat, in fact I plan on buying a 2nd 590 to add to the shack. Why pay for the K3 with 2nd RX when you can buy two TS-590s for the same price?
About the only way I am getting rid of the TS-590 will be to save up my pennies and by its big brother the 990.

WA7VGN Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2013 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bryan and I ZL2AFT were talking one afternoon about different radios and their noise floor and the 590 entered the conversation and that it was quiet, need a quiet radio here because i live in a gated community and have to use compromise antennas for HF. also we compared it with the K3 and its close.
The 590 i bought lived up to its lower noise floor, i do a little PSK and you can really see the difference on the waterfall in that you can get the color down to a dark blue and the signals are still there and printing.

List of things i like about the 590
1. the power control with 5 watt increments. and can be adjusted on the air.
2. USB PC connection (no modem)
3. Visual IF shift on meter.
4. 6m 60m band operation.
5. change menu items while on the air.
6. Radio warns of a bad SWR by sending SWR in CW when the antenna tuner is used. thus power transistors are not likely to burn up from my stupid mistakes.
If you set out to purposely burn up the finals in this radio I don't think you could do it.

Cons
True as another said it does not have super SSB punch as some other radios do but does drive my amp 3/4 to what my 850 will do.
Find while tuning across a band i get a swooshing sound of noise. No clue why.
Other than that i have no more complaints.

Its a great little radio.
my next project is to buy a Laptop and find a Starbucks and talk on HF remotely just for fun.
that will ruffle a few feathers, they look so serious in there using their laptops when actually they are playing a video game ha ha.
Richard

OH5YU Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2013 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Definetely good enough  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used a TS-590 for a year now in contests running QRP to QRO. Here is my take as a CW operator. My points of reference are FT-1000, TS-870 and K2. I am very happy with the TS-590. It has everything that I need.

Pros
+ good receiver
+ good ergonomics
+ solid feel
+ noise reduction works very well and is easy to adjust
+ good QSK operation
+ small footprint and compact size
+ fast ATU matching up to 10:1 SWR
+ T-F set feature is useful in split frequency operation
+ wide filter bandwidth ajustment range even on CW
+ good audio causes no operator fatigue
+ two antenna ports
+ USB computer control easy to set up and use
+ the fan comes rarely on and it is not loud

Nits
- somewhat loud T/R relay to my ears but that can be cured using circumaural noise attenuating headphones
- headphone hiss and too loud cw side tone (not enough adjustment range) but both are easily cured with a simple in-line attenuator
- ALC overshoot is noticeable on SSB but it does not make my linear amp trip

TZ6BB Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2013 05:26 Send this review to a friend
Nice, dependable radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my 2nd review of the TS590. I wrote the first one under my previous call, Z21BB. When I left Zimbabwe in July 2012 I had put well over 60,000 QSOs on my TS590, and then I brought it here to Mali and it is working for me as good as it did when I first took it out of the box. The QSO count here is now approaching 35,000, so there is something else new I can say about this radio, and it is it will stand well the test of time. Havenít had a single issue with it, and all I have done in these years is to upgrade the firmware whenever Kenwood has issued a new release.
The radio is still paired with the Expert 1K amplifier, and still happy to work together with it. Here in TZ land it withstands hot temperatures most of the time, which is of course not ideal for any piece of electronics but has not affected performance in any way. I have learnt to tweak the radio over these years and get the best out of it. I have also learnt to keep carrier, processor and microphone gain where they should be as to keep ALC where it should be. This bit is not a self evident one, but an important one to master. I am using stock presettings for my RX and TX, and the audio reports I get are always excellent with the original handheld microphone.
Reception is, of course, still second to none. The wonderful DSP filtering helps a lot in pulling weak signals out of nowhere, and I am not scared of big pile-ups on CW when I am using this particular radio ☺ It is really reassuring to know you are facing the pile up with one of the best receivers available to the amateur.
Presently I am using a MacBook Pro computer and Rumlog (eventually MacLoggerDX too), and the Apple / TS590 interaction is just perfect, no issues at all.
There is an ever growing and enthusiastic group of users of this model; a very friendly bunch too. And that is also a good thing, for when in doubt about anything related TS590 you will never be short of advice and interesting ideas to help you. There are some posible modifications out there too, although I am one of those who think the radio is more than good enough as it is.

Best 73
Fernando
TZ6BB & EA4BB (ex Z21BB, ST2BF, TU5JL, D2BB, 9Q5BB)