Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-202S Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-202S
Icom IC-202S Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $GBP169
Description: Updated 2m SSB/CW portable
More info: http://www.icomclassic.com/literature/1980_catalog/1980_catalog

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-202S.

G0UOO Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2013 05:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Somewhat quirky in appearance, but a great little rig. A very clean LO means a very clean RX and TX. I modified mine to incorporate a gas-filled c/o relay and 3sk88 RF amp. A good example of KISS!

N9OO Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2007 21:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Old Standard  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned both the IC-202 and the IC-202S. I still use the IC-202S albeit less today on 2 meters. I really have fun using it with my Tokyo Hy-Power HX-240 HF transverter. The HX-240 transverts from 2 meter down to all pre-WARC 10-80M HF bands with 50 watts output. It's a real conversation generator when I chat with people on 75M SSB and tell them I'm using a 2M SSB rig and transverting it down to HF. The HX-240 is about the same size as the IC-202S so it even makes a good portable VHF/HF SSB/CW station!

Great little rigs that do a remarkable job for being 30 year old technology.

M0PME Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2005 15:36 Send this review to a friend
great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
first class rig very clean signals

ZL3MH Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2003 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Way ahead of it's time  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi It's Murray ZL3MH from New Zealand. I use
the IC202s all the time . I have worked as
far as VK5 on sporadic E which is nearly
right across the USA. I use it with a QQV6/40
value amp, a mast head pre amp (bf981) and a
12 element beam. On recieve I have used it on
AO-10 to work OH which is as far as we can go.
It is repairable and with a small amp as above
and pre amp you will work as far as anyone. I
have used it on psk31 on AO-10 and is is quite
stable for a vxo. Yes it does have it short
comings but I but it for $75 NZL which is
you can contact me on
email murrayhely@yahoo.co.nz

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2002 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Net old portable that works very well  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Icom IC-202S was the updated c.1980 version of the venerable (1976 or so) IC-202 2m SSB/CW "bookshelf" portable. The main difference between the IC-202S and the IC-202 was the addition of LSB capability for satellite work and the fact that the antenna was removable. Otherwise they are basically the same radio.

I bought my first one new on closeout around 1984 or so. I've had one since. Both times I've sold this radio I've regretted it, and not just because I like vintage Icom gear or because I like interesting portable rigs. The IC-202S performed very well.

The rig was an analog, VXO design. It covered four band segments, each 200kHz wide, with 144.000-144.400 installed from the factory. Many on the used market today will have satellite subbands in the other two crystal slots. With no synthesizer it had a very low noise floor compared to other 2m multimode rigs of it's day. Sensitivity was decent if not up to the best modern specs. Still, it was *far* better than the Yaesu FT-290R, which became it's main competition towards the end of it's run. Selectivity was quite acceptable as well.

Output was 3W PEP or CW. CW T/R switching is manual, as in you have to flip a switch on the fromt of the rig, which is the main negative point on this rig. For terrestrial or satellite SSB work, though, the rig was quite pleasant to operate in its day, and still isn't bad at all today. The tuning was a bit course and you never quite knew exactly what frequency you were on, but since when is 2m SSB chennelized, anyway?

Receive audio was fine to my ears, if not exceptional, and transmitted audio reports were always quite good with the stock mic. An optional desk mic., model SM-2, was available, as was an optional 3 amp power supply/speaker combo, model IC-3PS. The rig did sound better through an external speaker. One neat feature of the power supply was that it had a bay in which to inset the matching IC-20L 10W linear, turning the IC-202S into a nice little base rig with output power comparable to the bigger rigs of the day. An optional internal NiCad charger was also available.

OK, perhaps it deserves a "4" today, but in it's day this was *the* fun little toy for mountaintopping and portable 2m operating. It' still fun and the flaws are understandable if you remember that this is a mid '70s design. It was way ahead of its time and better than many later rigs. No bells, no whistles, just a great rig.

Let's put it this way: if I find a nice clean, working IC-202S at a reasonable (or perhaps somewhat unreasonable) price I will certainly buy it and keep it this time.

GW4RWR Rating: 4/5 May 4, 2002 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Very useful radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Adequate coverage of ssb + beacon section in a handheld set with adequate battery life from its C cells.

I replaced the front end, mixer and added a tx/rx relay. This vastly improved the sensitivity. However received audio quality was still not that good, either on this or a friends IC202e version. Everyone tended to sound the same. I think the only way around this is wider IF filtering.

Together with the fiddly VXO dial, which has far too many kHz per revolution, I found this to be an unsatisfactory radio for 2m ops. Great for the 23cm transverter, however.

G8SBF Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2001 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: months
I have owned my IC202S for about 10 years and it works really well. Mine has a 3SK88 transistor in the front end and there are many mods to improve noise floor etc on the web. I have used it for Satellite downlink purposes on Oscar 13. Again it was ideal for this purpose. The styling is now somewhat outdated, but don't be fooled, this is a seriously good radio!