Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Tokyo Hy-Power HP-460 60 amp DC Switching Power Supply Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HP-460 60 amp DC Switching Power Supply
Tokyo Hy-Power HP-460 60 amp DC Switching Power Supply Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$ 474.95
Description: Matching 60A DC Power Supply for HL-450B as well as HL-350VDX.
More info: http://www.tokyohypower.com/dc_power_supply.html

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HP-460 60 amp DC Switching Power Supply.

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2012 16:12 Send this review to a friend
Matches the Amplifier in looks  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Luckily HRO had this supply in stock. I like it because it matches my 2 meter amplifier in looks. No longer will I have to use 4 each 12 volt auto batteries to power my 2 meter amplifier. I believe 12 volts is the way to go for all ham radio uses.

K0GDI Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2012 13:21 Send this review to a friend
Great matching power supply.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this Power Supply from HRO at the Dayton Hamvention 2012. This was there last one in inventory. Bummer thing was it was cracked in the front panel when it got shipped to me. Probably UPS' fault. But anyway the unit looks great and works just as good. I really like the LED readout of the voltage and amperage. Unit has a voltage adjustment knob on the front which is easy to turn. Unit looks great and stays cool when a lot of power is drawn. The unit was definitely worth the $440.00 plus free shipping. If you need to order this call up HRO and give them the model #, they will try to sell you the Diamond 60 amp supply. Tell them that you want this one and only this one and they will special order it for you. Why they don't carry it in stock I don't know. It is displayed in their catalog and is a matching supply to a few different THP amplifiers. I called the HRO in Virginia and ordered it from Margaret.

KH6DAN Rating: 4/5 Sep 29, 2010 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Works well with the HL-450 but pricey  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I bought a Tokyo Hi-Power HL-450 AMP to get 350 W out of my Kenwood TS-2000 rig. I needed a power supply for the amp. Tokyo Hy-Power's suggested price for their "matching" HP-460 60 amp Power Supply is $474.00. I looked over the internet for US dealers and the only one I could find was Array Solutions (HRO and HAM CITY both carry the Tokyo Hy-Power amps but not the HP-460 PS). Array Solutions' price for the HP-460 was $499.00 and they paid for the shipping.

The "Tokyo Hy-Power" power supply does a good job of driving the amp (before the power supply came I was using a fairly new fully charged car battery at 12 volts. But, it would only let me pull 250 watts out of the amp (the amp is rated at 400 but 350 is typical).

Here's the rub. After I bought the "Tokyo Hy-Power" PS from Array Solutions, I was checking the internet and searched for 60 amp power supplies. I discovered a 60 amp PS with the name of Tenma. The model number is 72-7655. If you download the manual in .pdf format and compare the pictures you see that the power supplies are virtually the same! The difference is the "Tokyo Hy-Power" PS has a sticker on the front with Tokyo's name on it.

I found two sources on the internet to order the Tenma Power Supply 72-7655.

$359.00 + shipping

$299.00 + free shipping !

Why did I pay $499.00 for virtually the same PS that costs $299? I'll tell you why. Because I'm stupid.

I'm not sure but there must be a reason why Ham Radio Outlet and Ham City do not sell this "Tokyo Hy-Power" product, since they sell many of Tokyo's other products.

I've placed this review on eHam so that other folks will have the information prior to the purchase of the "Tokyo Hy-Power" 60 amp PS. Although I'm not sure why anyone would want this - just because it has a Tokyo sticker on the front - ... but then, based on this review it's obvious that I'm not too bright. If I had it to do all over again I'd by another PS, obviously.

I gave this a 4 only because a 5 would imply that the product is perfect. Given the information above it would be hard to say it was a perfect experience. BTW ... there's a small sticker on the back of the HP-460 Power Supply. It says "Made in China". But, isn't just about everything these days?

KH6DAN sends ....