Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Uniden Home Patrol Help

Reviews Summary for Uniden Home Patrol
Uniden Home Patrol Reviews: 33 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $$500
Description: The Uniden Home Patrol is a new scanner that includes the scanner database preprogrammed into its memory. This allows local programming via zip code or city county state locations. Updates can be downloaded. Easy setup and start scanning all services or just select law enforcement or others.
More info: http://www.uniden.com

You can write your own review of the Uniden Home Patrol.

KA3OUC Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2012 21:05 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
The HP-1 is a good scanner. Works fine by my. All you have to do is just invest a little time reading and playing before jumping to conclusions. I have also found that Energizer batteries work best over the stock batteries.

WA6SPA Rating: 2/5 Nov 20, 2012 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Time owned: 6 to 12 months
HomePatrol has a lots of problems…too many. Just my opinion...

K5CPF Rating: 4/5 Aug 20, 2012 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Almost (but not quite) perfect!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my device today. Installed the latest Sentinel, downloaded the latest firmware and database and punched in my zip code... BOOM!!! I was instantly monitoring the services I wanted to hear! The touch screen interface and computer software make it simple to tweak.

I actually have pretty good reception with the included antenna, even out in the suburbs with tek-shield roofing!

Unlike some previous reviewers, I will not rate the device low because Uniden created an upgradable platform and charges for the major upgrades; I guess they'd rather have to buy a new scanner.

I do take away 1 for not being able to decode "Phase II TDMA". From what I've read, it will take more than a firmware upgrade to do that.

KC2IGY Rating: 2/5 May 19, 2012 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Crippled out of the box  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
There are many things I like about the Uniden HP-1. Uniden's decision to charge $100 extra to unlock all the radio's features is not. I have since sold my HP-1, and bought a GRE PSR-800. I did find the HP-1 performed well, and had nice features, but I'm not going to give Uniden another $100 on top of the $500 I already paid, to make my radio function the way it is capable of. I'm glad to see other radio enthusiasts feel the same way I do.

KA9QPN Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2012 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Scanning is fun again!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The scanner itself is top-notch. The preprogrammed freqs have some holes...for instance, ISPERN is not identified as such and is buried in the Interoperability bank along with IFERN, ESMARN and IREACH. I'm sure that folks in other states have issues with 'universal' freqs like this. Good news is that it's simple to add these via software. The performance is excellent: sensitive with very little noticeable intermod issues. You need to RTFM, but it's fairly intuitive once you know where you want to be. Digital performance is far beyond my '396T and '396XT, as I didn't need to tweak anything in the menus to get something that I could listen to. The systems that are imported via software (ARC Patrol) come up and play properly. I suspect that this is more due to the quality of the RR submissions than the radio.
Things that I could quibble with: the AC wall wart died immediately, and a message to Uniden via their support website has not yet been answered. There is much discussion below about Uniden making the Extreme Upgrade a paid option. I imagine that one would not expect to pay for an upgrade this soon. The proof will come down the road. If Uniden continues to support this product over time, then many of us might not complain about a *nominal--not $100 a clip* cost to freshen the firmware. It was good for BuTel to recognize that purchasers of this item had already spent a pile of money, therefore keeping the ARC Patrol software reasonable in cost. I wish that there was some better way to attach a more efficient whip antenna, as the SMA elbows that I have will not remain upright and having the scanner on its end to keep the antenna vertical isn't right. Other than these 'growing pains' items, this is a sound purchase for either the new or experienced scannist.

KC2RGW Rating: 3/5 Feb 28, 2012 18:35 Send this review to a friend
Update to my first review after a year  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first review is below and following are my updates to this unit after a year of steady use.

I paid the *Uniden Tax* and bought the "extreme upgrade" for the firmware. This firmware added all the missing features that I honestly had expected they would initially release. Much better and they got it by 99%.

The one missing feature still...no priority channel system. I'm puzzled by this.

The last straw for me for use in my shack is in addition to the horrible ground issue with the audio circuit, there is also RF spurious noise emitted any time the squelch opens.

It's very broad banded noise and I finally noticed it was the scanner while watching the SDR display and it only happens when the squelch is open. Needless to say it had to go from the shack.

Now it's my tabletop scanner in the living room and as a basic tabletop scanner...it works, but for all the money I have in it, a 996XT would have been a smarter choice.

For now my 396XT is in the shack with all the wires hanging off it for power, audio and antenna and that one is working just fine all around.

=================================================
Initial review
=================================================
So to add to information that is already out there about this unit.

I prefer to monitor specific PD/FD/EMS frequencies and tend to group them in increasing radius of distances. With this unit that is simply done using the Favorites lists which can be enabled one at a time or stacked up and enabled in groupings. This worked out well for me.

Setup is really easy and I got the Sentinel software installed, firmware and database updates all done in just a few minutes relative to unboxing the unit. There are some YouTube videos that will show you how to do this easily. I didn't even bother looking at any documentation and I was off and running.

Sensitivity is on par with my 396XT doing casual A/B comparisons with and without external antennas.

A few annoyances though which could be critical to some users.

No priority channel exists right now - I found this rather astonishing as I've used priority on every scanner I've ever owned.

No true direct entry way to add a frequency that is not in the existing database. For 'on scene' type use this is a deal breaker. With software like the free PowerPatrol from scannnow.org you can make entries though, just not with the unit directly. This SHOULD be fixed by Uniden in software, it's a big failing.

The headphone audio output is very poorly designed and you will likely have ground loop issues if you plug this unit into a powered mixer as an example. I had to put a Radio Shack ground loop isolator in line to fix this issue. It was not usable at all without this, the ground hum was louder than received audio, not just a mild buzz. After fixing this, the received audio is very nice and the standard AGC settings actually work. I don't have to run this one into my compressor to level it.

Overall this is a great new design, but Uniden really needs to extend the advanced menu options and add priority scanning and direct entry as options to make this unit a lot more complete.

This will not replace a 396XT 996XT etc if you use all the features they offer. It's a different feature set and approach.

VE3CNU Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2012 10:44 Send this review to a friend
This is the bees knees!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally got myself one of these scanners and I must say, Uniden has got a lot right with this one. It reveals a completely new way of selecting the channels you want to listen to, which, with all the trunking systems now, was needed. I am selling my Pro-106 now because this is so much more useable.

Sure, there are a couple of small things I'd change with it, but this scanner is so revolutionary it deserves all 5 stars.

N8TNJ Rating: 4/5 Jan 28, 2012 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Not to bad  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
One thing I have noticed, it will fall short on loading some of my local freqs. I had to plug them in manually which was no big deal. The case seems a little on the weak side, the internal speaker does not handle higher volume levels well. And it would be great if it came with the "extreme" software instead of a $100.00 extra. But after that it's a great scanner and would recommend as easy to program. I use it just for law enforcement and fire.

KC0JUX Rating: 2/5 Dec 23, 2011 09:38 Send this review to a friend
My experience with Home Patrol 1  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received the Home Patrol 1 in the mail, I had read the owners manual on-line and was ready to program it when it arrived. I started the scanner, put in my zip code of 52240 for Iowa City, Ia, put the range to 10 miles, set the squelch till I heard noise than increased it by 1 bar. I also have a pro-106 digital scanner. The pro-106 is constantly receiving chatter, the Home Patrol just sets their scanning, occasionally stopping a a weak freq. I think the Home Patrol one is way over rated, now they are saying I need to purchase a extreme update which is another $100.00. If you have the pro-106 or similiar don't waste your money...

AE6TK Rating: 3/5 Nov 29, 2011 19:57 Send this review to a friend
Great unit but misses the mark!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Uniden HomePatrol scanner is the easiest scanner to use that I’ve owned. You can update its database with ease and it makes scanning fun. I’m even thinking of selling my other scanners and getting one more of these because it’s so easy to use and setup. So, why am I only giving it a three out of five? Even though I bought it for a great price and I love this scanner, the retail on this thing is over $500. You can buy an iPhone and get yourself a scanner App and be able to do a lot more. You also have to pay another $99 to access the “Extreme” features of this unit. For $500 Uniden should have included these features with it. The fact that you have to pay extra is an insult. The unit does however come with the following:

- 4 x AA size Rechargeable NiMH Batteries (2300mAh)
- AC Adapter (AC 120V 60Hz 9V 800mA Regulated)
- DC Adapter (DC 12V to DC 9V 800mA Regulated)
- 2 GB micro SD for storing favorites lists and recording transmissions
- Antenna
- Desk Stand
- USB Cable

Fairly generous compared to what I received with my RadioShack Pro96 scanner. Again, for $500 I would have also included the following:

- GPS Cable
- Mobile mount
- Protective case

By biggest gripe is this unit seems cheaply made and if I dropped it I think that would be it. It should have been made more rugged for $500 otherwise it is a fantastic unit.