Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Uniden Home Patrol Help

Reviews Summary for Uniden Home Patrol
Uniden Home Patrol Reviews: 38 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $$500
Description: The Uniden Home Patrol is a new scanner that includes the scanner database preprogrammed into its memory. This allows local programming via zip code or city county state locations. Updates can be downloaded. Easy setup and start scanning all services or just select law enforcement or others.
More info: http://www.uniden.com

You can write your own review of the Uniden Home Patrol.

SHORTWAVER Rating: 4/5 Aug 3, 2013 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Happy With Purchase  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using the Home Patrol for a couple of weeks now and feel that I can offer some feedback on it's operation and my experiences with it.
Initial out of the box review is that it seems to be well constructed and has some "heft" to it. It comes with a AC power adapter as well as car adapter-a nice touch. The included rubber ducky antenna may be good to get you started but i have mine on a cheap RS antenna in the attic. I would recommend that you either attach the scanner to a outdoor antenna or at least a good portable antenna like a Diamond RH77CA. With my attic antenna, i am picking up signals 20+ miles out. The audio is acceptable, but not as good as my GRE PSR-500 handheld scanner.
The shining star of this scanner, I think, is its screen. The abilty for you to clearly see all information from the transmitting station is a great feature. My GRE scanners are great but i can never see who I'm listening to unless i am very close to the radio. with thhe Hame Patrol, I can be almost 10 feet away and still see that information. That is worth it to me.
Of course, the fact that you only need to put in your zip code, and be scanning away, is pretty cool also.

K4SDW Rating: 4/5 Feb 15, 2013 05:51 Send this review to a friend
Good Scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had been thinking about buying one of these scanners ever since they came on the market. I read everything I could find about these scanners, watched all the You Tube videos, etc and then decided against purchasing one because I felt like the Grecom would work better. I order the Grecom 800 digital scanner and it was not very easy to program. I did not like it at all and it would only pick up 800 Mhz frequencies at certain times or if I moved the scanner to other locations around the house even though I am 10 miles from the transmitter.
I thought I would sell it and try one of the home patrol units.
It was so easy to program. I wish it did come with the Extreme Package, especially for the price of $500.00. I plugged it up and downloaded the sentinal software onto the computer then updated the scanner and entered the zip code, set the range and after defining the frequencies I wanted to listen to in my area, the scanner worked great. I am even picking up some stations over 100 miles away. The Highway Patrol is broken up into districts here and I can pick up dispatchers from the other districts. I have to keep them locked out but it works great. I am enjoying this scanner a lot. I just ordered an outside antenna just to bring in the weaker mobiles better. The rubber duck antenna that comes with the unit works better than I had expected it to work. I think some of these scanners are like others, you get good ones and bad ones, but I got a good one. I would buy another one.

W0NTS Rating: 1/5 Feb 12, 2013 05:42 Send this review to a friend
Bad choice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had been using a Radio Shack Pro 96 but fell for the hype advertising for the Home Patrol. Big mistake.The Home Patrol data base is lousy as is it's audio. I feel it is crazy to have to spend another wad of money for upgrades for this piece of junk. This morning it will go back in the box and eventually find a new owner. I am again using my Pro 96 which in my opinion beats the Home Patrol by a wide margin.

VA3CR Rating: 4/5 Feb 11, 2013 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Like the Scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio could be a 5 and it trys hard to be. It now works very well for me and wasn't too hard to get it to work that way. Only shortcoming is the rubber duck antenna doesn't receive well, so I put a MFJ1717S on and it works as well as my other scanners. Also recommend you use the software to get it to stop scanning stuff you don't need (that's a lot of deleting) by creating a favourite for your area. Display and everything else meets or exceeds my expectations. Also the radio appears to be very well built.

VE6BGM Rating: 4/5 Nov 20, 2012 22:20 Send this review to a friend
No problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Tough to rate anything a 5. But no problems for over 12 months.

KA3OUC Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2012 21:05 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
The HP-1 is a good scanner. Works fine by my. All you have to do is just invest a little time reading and playing before jumping to conclusions. I have also found that Energizer batteries work best over the stock batteries.

WA6SPA Rating: 2/5 Nov 20, 2012 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Time owned: 6 to 12 months
HomePatrol has a lots of problems…too many. Just my opinion...

K5CPF Rating: 4/5 Aug 20, 2012 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Almost (but not quite) perfect!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my device today. Installed the latest Sentinel, downloaded the latest firmware and database and punched in my zip code... BOOM!!! I was instantly monitoring the services I wanted to hear! The touch screen interface and computer software make it simple to tweak.

I actually have pretty good reception with the included antenna, even out in the suburbs with tek-shield roofing!

Unlike some previous reviewers, I will not rate the device low because Uniden created an upgradable platform and charges for the major upgrades; I guess they'd rather have to buy a new scanner.

I do take away 1 for not being able to decode "Phase II TDMA". From what I've read, it will take more than a firmware upgrade to do that.

KC2IGY Rating: 2/5 May 19, 2012 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Crippled out of the box  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
There are many things I like about the Uniden HP-1. Uniden's decision to charge $100 extra to unlock all the radio's features is not. I have since sold my HP-1, and bought a GRE PSR-800. I did find the HP-1 performed well, and had nice features, but I'm not going to give Uniden another $100 on top of the $500 I already paid, to make my radio function the way it is capable of. I'm glad to see other radio enthusiasts feel the same way I do.

KA9QPN Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2012 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Scanning is fun again!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The scanner itself is top-notch. The preprogrammed freqs have some holes...for instance, ISPERN is not identified as such and is buried in the Interoperability bank along with IFERN, ESMARN and IREACH. I'm sure that folks in other states have issues with 'universal' freqs like this. Good news is that it's simple to add these via software. The performance is excellent: sensitive with very little noticeable intermod issues. You need to RTFM, but it's fairly intuitive once you know where you want to be. Digital performance is far beyond my '396T and '396XT, as I didn't need to tweak anything in the menus to get something that I could listen to. The systems that are imported via software (ARC Patrol) come up and play properly. I suspect that this is more due to the quality of the RR submissions than the radio.
Things that I could quibble with: the AC wall wart died immediately, and a message to Uniden via their support website has not yet been answered. There is much discussion below about Uniden making the Extreme Upgrade a paid option. I imagine that one would not expect to pay for an upgrade this soon. The proof will come down the road. If Uniden continues to support this product over time, then many of us might not complain about a *nominal--not $100 a clip* cost to freshen the firmware. It was good for BuTel to recognize that purchasers of this item had already spent a pile of money, therefore keeping the ARC Patrol software reasonable in cost. I wish that there was some better way to attach a more efficient whip antenna, as the SMA elbows that I have will not remain upright and having the scanner on its end to keep the antenna vertical isn't right. Other than these 'growing pains' items, this is a sound purchase for either the new or experienced scannist.