Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Eagle 599 Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Eagle 599
Ten-Tec Eagle 599 Reviews: 46 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$1995
Description: Ten Tec Eagle Model 599. offers simplified controls and ease of operation. 100 Watts, SSB & CW, 160 Mtr to 6 Mtr and General Coverage Receive .50 t0 30Mhz. Nifty and Compact and a Mobile friendly structure.
More info: http://tentec.com

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Eagle 599.

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2013 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Best HF radio to-date  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For those who don't know me, I have bought and sold a lot of top flight radios such as the FTDX-9000D, FTDX-5000MP, FTDX-3000, KX3 and more. I was always chopping and changing because nothing really felt right.

Then I decided to take a punt of an Eagle. What an incredible piece of engineering. I have really enjoyed this radio more than any other. The receiver is something else. Absolutely no fatigue using it even in noisy band conditions.

I bought it with the ATU (which is excellent), the NB module, the 15KHz filter (for FM and lower power AM use - you need the 6K filter for "proper" AM, the 2.4KHz filter and the 300Hz filter.

I am totally blown away that this radio gives me as much functionality to bring out weak or close-in signals as something like the FTDX-5000, but is several thousand pounds cheaper and can be picked up in one hand. The radio is so simple to use, you only need to read the short manual once and you are away.

I use with a Yaesu MLS-200 speaker, Vibroplex key and the Yaesu MD-100 or Heil Pro Set Elite 6 - all excellent complements to the Eagle 599.

I may have said this before about other radios, but this is the keeper! I have done several videos of the Eagle on my YouTube channel, just search my callsign.

K2TPZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2013 08:07 Send this review to a friend
Neat Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've used the rig for the last two weeks and I am very favorably impressed. This was my Dayton purchase this year.

This is my fifty-fifth year in the hobby and I've used and played with many rigs during this time. I mean many, many rigs. But this is my only hobby so I allow myself this one indulgence. With that said, how does the Eagle stack up with all the rest? It's right near the top. I am that impressed.

After a short learning curve I've found the rig easy to use and understand. That is very important to me. Performance is exceptional. The rig does everything I need it to do and it is remarkably simple to use. The ergonomics of this rig is totally intuitive.

Ninety percent of my time I operate CW. It is a pleasure to use. I've had a few short SSB QSOs and the audio reports were excellent and in two instances the operators couldn't believe I was using the hand mic that came with the rig.

These are my initial impressions. Time will tell. But for right now, this rig is going to be around much, much longer than some that I've had. Great job Ten Tec.

Mike

KB1GMX Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2013 20:52 Send this review to a friend
Impressed, happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Obviously got the Eagle. Went for the loaded radio and it has the noise blanker, antenna tuner, 2.4, 6 and 15khz filters (for SSB, AM and FM use) and the 708A mic.

I got it to upgrade to a modern radio as the station here for HF as a TenTec Triton (m540),
a Tempo-one, and a HW101 as the mainstay 100W radios. The only one that has satisfied me till now was the Triton as it has a noise blanker that works and a very good receiver for a 35 year old radio. The radios I compared to included the
K3, KX3, K2 with everything, and a few IcKenYea radios in the same dollar class. The radios that had spartan panels were too menu laden to use to my liking. But at 3 inches tall it's still compact without being tiny.

Right out of the box I plugged it in as everything here has power-poles. it came properly setup with a sheet noting the setup from the factory.

First observation, the buttons light up blue! Also the function button is a yellow color and blinks when activated. Big improvement over my TT526 (6n2) my VHF workhorse radio. It was a not mentioned feature. It passes the test of can I run this without the manual or cheat sheet easily. The manual is not large or hard to read and worth reviewing as the radio has features that are not loudly noted or immediately obvious.It even inclues a quick startup for the new user that
just want to hear their new radio.

Bench testing says it works as well or better than spec. Testing the TX found full power and the transmitter audio was right the IMD was good as any other 100W radio I've had the opportunity to use and test on the bench. The RX was given a quick test as the receiver IMD test setup to
do it right is time consuming and I wanted to
use the radio. It seems to be a very hot RX.

While on the bench I opened it up and it's very well arranged inside and very tidy in construction. If you are opening it take care with the top cover as the speaker leads are not very long, though they are long enough with care to be easily unplugged. Inside surface mount devices are the norm in this radio it should be easy to service as it is very modular and accessible. I'd add if my 6n2 and Triton are any example service is unlikely to be needed.

Operating the buttons fits with my expectations and I found the soft touch buttons a bit nicer than the hard ones on the 6n2 and that one is 10 years old now. Tuning dial has a solid feel as well.

On the air it is easy to use and performs. I've used it on several antennas including a snakewire
(expedient short dipole on the grass) and the tuner seems to tune them all. Its not always fast but seems to seek a better than 1.5:1 match every time. Also the time to match seems to be related to how bad the antenna is.the stock hand mic works
and sounds according to those that know my voice
good. The 708 mic is also a good mic and sounds good my recording and report.

Some have noted that some features are second level on the buttons and should be first level.
This is a personal preference and in most cases
not an issue.

I have put a lot of hours into listening with all my radios and this one is very good sounding. Compared to a HRO 60 I use at work its very good
for AM.

I have noted there are a few birdies, rare that a wide tuning (.5 to 30 and 6M) radio would not. None are limiting as they are weak and tune fast.
The blanker works well with the local power line noise. The digital NR is effective though it does add artifacts to the audio, acceptable as it also helps make the station listenable. The auto notch
(lid filter) is effective and a joy to have.

The filters do their job and are transparent, turn the knob and it does the right things. Passband tuning is something I did not have on other radios and is welcome addition. Dual VFOs are nice and what the the second VFO is set to displayed under the main in smaller numbers. The display is clear, uncluttered and easy to read even without my glasses.

The bail that forms a raised stand is very robust
and raises the radio nicely off the counter. I find the "its a transceiver" styling without racing strips or other cosmetic styling pleasing. The variable color and brightness display is welcome.

Things that were not clear from advertising or
even here were.

*Lighted buttons, I like that.
*For AM receive the wide 6khz filter is not required. For transmit at rated power it is.
* The radio has been improved since its
introduction and even some testing (ARRL).
* It has a rear panel 9mhz IF output for
user defined purposes like a panadaptor.
* Comes with the cable and plug to add an
alternate receiver input
* Comes with DIN plug for the sound in, out and
amplifier keying. plus the KEY jack.

As a portable radio note that it's not QRP, the RS wants about 1.5A at moderate volumes, and the TX is 2.5A with no modulation. Compared to the QRP set this is not intended to be small battery friendly though I did run it for a few hours with some transmitting on a 7AH gell cell at 40W with
no difficulties noted. Testing on the power supply says its more tolerant of low voltages (still working at low power at 10.8V).

I found dealing with Tentec to be easy and direct.
questions that I had were answered quickly.

A very pleasant radio with a few unexpected and welcome surprises. I don't feel like it was expensive for the features and performance. I think TenTec did a very good job with this radio.
Their 30day return policy will not be used as it will stay!

I rated it a 5 even though nothing is perfect but its way more than a 4.

N4DOV Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2013 17:51 Send this review to a friend
small with prodigious performance!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I know I am reviewing this too early in my ownership,but am at present under attack by some major interference possibly power line noise which has curtailed my radio activities...I thought.The noise could NOT be adequately handled by my Icom 7600 (which for me is an amazing rig), enter the TenTec Eagle. NB eliminates the noise and once again I can hear signals.Add a superb NR for those of use in a high noise area.Receive audio is superb as other have verified and more pleasant to listen than my Icom (which is no slouch).Was not able to pull a VK station out of the "mud" the other day,until I switched to the Eagle and there he was. This little radio (<3inches by 8 inches faceplate size with no menus except at start up to change screen color and turn tuner on and off) is so simple to use,(has one of the smallest manuals and a quick start page included) so big on performance that if one is considering a radio in the <$2000 range, check the Eagle out.In fact check it out anyway. The buttons are small and this will not make the "jolly green giant" as happy as I am!
I use a TenTec Regal desk microphone as I did not find the supplied hand microphone to my liking.Add the easy access and support just a telephone away to live help should you need it.

WP3HW Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2013 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Superior Transceiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Superior Transceiver, superb SSB receive audio. My memory says it even sounds better than my Hallicrafters tube receiver of yesteryear. Excellent reports of transmit audio. Firmware upgrades have improved this already superior radio. Displaced my former Icom Pro and haven't looked back. Easy to operate with a space saving small footprint. Did a say selectivity is another of its attributes? Nothing is perfect but this is one heck of a good transceiver. A keeper.

N3QE Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2013 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Opinions after 15 months of contest usage  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Eagle 15 months now, and this is my second review.

The Eagle has performed excellently through 25,000 QSO's in two contest seasons. It's helped me earn several #1 LP certificates for my state and call district in major RTTY and 160M contests, and top ten finishes in several DX contests.

I have recently taken up RTTY contesting, and the Eagle's line-in/line-out make audio to computer interfacing a breeze. The rig runs cool as a cucumber even at RTTY contest duty cycles at 100W out.

Only a month or so ago, looking to do some incremental improvements, I got the 600 Hz CW filter on advice from Stan at Ten-Tec sales. It does help in the occasional super-duper crunch contest or DX situations and was a nice incremental step up.

In RTTY use, the DSP passband sliding controlled by the knobs on the front of the rig, produce a very very nice variable and slideable IF filter for RTTY. QRM just above or below is no problem, just dial the filter position and bandwidth and they go away. With many contest powerhouse stations nearby, having the 600Hz filter kick in automatically in concert with the DSP settings, is just so sweet.

N5SWE Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2012 10:54 Send this review to a friend
1 year  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Eagle replaced Icom 756 pro 2. Needed a DSP speaker for the pro 2 and have not needed it for the Eagle. Signal reports are great (130' Doublet antenna)and ALS-500 Amp. The noisy RV parks I am in are a challenge. This is best rig I have found. XYL is happy because of Eagle size. I tried mine for the 30 day trial period over a year ago! I am a happy camper! Taking it out of the RV and replacing it are a snap. I use it for net control (W6CCN), Field day and Western Country Cousin picnics/Special events.

K8YAH Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2012 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Good rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ten Tec has created a winner in this radio. The radio simply does everything that I would want in a radio.My usage is 40,20,17, and 6 meters, 95% SSB and 5% PSK. It is sensitive and I get good reports on my audio. The best thing I feel is the receive audio. It's quiet. So many radios beat you up with the background noise that is always there. This radio doesn't. It is easy to operate once you learn the function key and the dual function for most buttons.

The minuses are
I wish it had 2 antenna ports and a receive only port.

KN7AZ Rating: 3/5 Oct 26, 2012 01:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Receiver BUT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the Eagle to replace a Kenwood TS-590 which had a great receiver but I could not get RF out of the Xmit audio after a year of messing with it. The Eagle has a great receiver and it is a down convert design which can drive a band scope if desired. My major disappointment is the DSP NR. It is basically unusable in SSB and I have not yet used it in CW. I actually bought an aftermarket DSP unit so I could have some NR with the Eagle. It is hard to believe that Ten-Tec could not design a better NR at this point in the development of this technology. The NR in the TS-590 was superb. I am hoping that they can come up with a software fix for the Eagle and if so I'll update my review.

On the positive side, I do like the fact that I can reduce the RF gain without changing the S-Meter reading.

K7LA Rating: 4/5 Jun 26, 2012 01:03 Send this review to a friend
Field Day Experience  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was invited to participate in Field Day with a group in Southern California.

One of the HF rigs was the Ten Tec Eagle 599 with auto tuner and the other was an Elecraft K3, both USA made. The Ten Tec was a pleasant surprise. The rig really plays.

Simple controls that didn't require a manual to figure out, great receive and a pass band tuner that worked well enough to shift around all the QRM. The compact lightweight size would make it ideal for mobile ops and the receiver will run rings around the ICOM 706 or 7700 rigs. The display is soft blue light and is very comfortable in low light or after dark.

The FD station was solar powered with a deep cycle battery. If we experienced a voltage drop the K3 would get cranky and had to be powered down. The Ten Tec never missed a beat and just kept chugging along. During FD ops on 20 meters we received many unsolicited great audio reports with the stock hand mike, and the other stations were very surprised to find out we were 100 watts into a fan dipole flat top antenna.

My QTH station rig of choice is a Yaesu FT-2000 but I wouldn't have an issue using the Ten Tec Eagle 599, any time, anywhere. The Ten Tec Eagle deserves your consideration.