Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | MFJ-1640T HF Stick Mobile Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1640T HF Stick Mobile Antenna
MFJ-1640T HF Stick Mobile Antenna Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $14.95
Description: This MFJ monoband mobile HamTenna Whip makes HF mobiling fun and easy! Theyre small, lightweight, efficient, and super easy-to-use. Dual center and distributed loading lets you radiate efficiently -- you get more power out for working DX and ragchewing.

Each is ruggedly constructed. A heavy duty 4 foot, 3/8 inch diameter fiberglass rod, a nearly indestructible .125 inch diameter PH-17-7 stainless steel whip and chrome plated brass fittings will give you years of dependable service. Its sleek, low profile construction has low wind loading and its semirigid fiberglass eliminates the need for springs or guys. A black anti-static jackets protects the loading coil and blends with any vehicle.

The stainless steel whip is adjustable for lowest SWR. Includes Allen wrench and complete tuning and matching instructions. Handles 250 Watts PEP. About 7 feet tall fully extended and collapses to 4 feet for easy storage.

These MFJ monobanders are available for 6 Meters and each HF band. Simply screws into any 3/8 x 24 female mount for quick band-changing. Protected by MFJs famous No matter What one year limited warranty. MFJ will repair or replace (at our option) your Ham-tenna no matter what for one full year.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1640T

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1640T HF Stick Mobile Antenna.

AB1LT Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2015 18:25 Send this review to a friend
Great quality & Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's hard to believe they can sell these for about $15ea. They match well and work great. I've worked the world from my car with them.

Pro tip: with shorter stingers the 20M stick can be used on 18M and 15M! Just be sure the part inside the fiberglass stick doesn't protrude into the coil area.

N5IFI Rating: 3/5 Dec 12, 2015 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Best Cheap Antenna Alternative on the Market  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one of these to go on a semi truck and flatbed trailer to test the mounting location and noise generated by the truck. (3406e cat and produced no injector noise at all) I installed it and tuned it in about 20 minutes and was on the air on 40 meters. It comes to you pretty far off the US 40 meter amateur band. Mine was resonant around 6800 kHz. I shortened it about 6 inches or so (guess) and it came right in on 7235 kHz. You can disassemble this antenna and not loose the resonant frequency setting too which is a big plus. I recommend keeping one of these around for emergency situations. How it last on the truck is yet to be seen. I was using a Kenwood TS 2000 and the antenna tuner and doing about 90 watts I was able to talk to my friends on 40 meters that were all 300-500 miles away during the mid day. That's not bad. It is rather noisy compared to the higher Q antennas like the bug catcher or the Hi-Q but it only cost me 20 bucks too. In an emergency it couldn't be beat for quick mobile operation. Bandwidth between 2:1 swr points was about 75kcs. I did use a Wilson 305-610 Stainless Steel Heavy Duty CB Antenna Stud which helps to spread the wind load. This is a good piece for these taller antennas using a 3/8-24 stud mount. I mounted mine on the drivers side headache rack at about 5'9 inches which is less than ideal location and it comes in just under 13'6" on 40 meters.

K7LZR Rating: 4/5 Apr 21, 2015 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Its a good mobile antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use one of these with a Yaesu FT-817 radio in my Ford Expedition. It does a reasonable job, even with just 5 watts of transmitter power.

I have a 30min. commute to/from work and I regularly listen to and check into a few nets and groups in the morning and signals are usually good.

I didn't want to put a big screwdriver or similar type of antenna on my car for a couple of reasons: First, I wanted something that did not draw too much attention nor advertise the presence of radio gear. Second, I wanted a small and easily removable antenna. I had had previous experience with genuine Hamstick antennas and so I knew what to expect.

If you mount this antenna correctly, making sure that it is grounded well to the car body, and follow tuning instructions then you will have a usable system.

K9BW Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2014 15:22 Send this review to a friend
AS a dipole  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Needed a simple small dipole. Purchased a pair and used a piece of right angle aluminum with 3/8s mounts and was surprised.. got 1.1 swr with out any hard work. Used a balun of course. Have space limitations and these enabled me to operate touchy solid state gear and have some ham fun. No room to hang any wires.

K1WJ Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2013 21:30 Send this review to a friend
Works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have the 40m stick mounted in bucket with 4ft wood mast with single 1/4wave 40m radial also 4ft off the ground. 100khz below 1.6:1 match. 3 quick contacts upon set up. HOA situation. Not a pile up buster but making contacts. MFJ HF sticks are the best plus the $15 price. I have had good results with the MFJ sticks 6m-20m,so I figured I would give 40m a try - I do not think I will try 80m-160 versions however, 73 K1WJ Dave

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2010 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This antenna is easier to breakdown than the equivalent "Hamstick". It allows you to unscrew the stinger without needing to loosen setscrews and losing the antenna tune. I have used two of these in the MFJ-347 dipole mount with excellent results.