Reviews Categories | Feedlines (coax, ladder-line, etc.) | Ladder Snap Ladder Line Kits Help

Reviews Summary for Ladder Snap Ladder Line Kits
Ladder Snap Ladder Line Kits Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $29.99
Description: Make your own 600 ohm Ladder Line the easy way. No more
laborious cutting up plastic or wood dowel rods. Simply
open the bag and snap your line together. Make your
feedline up as you need it. Never again get caught short or
buy more feedline than you need to finish your antenna
project. You won't have to wait weeks for an out of stock
supplier during peak antenna building season.
For use with #14 THHN Stranded or Solid Wire

www.73CNC.com
More info: http://www.73CNC.com

You can write your own review of the Ladder Snap Ladder Line Kits.

N4UZZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2016 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Great product - great idea  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
You need to practice and learn just a little bit to get good at snapping the spacers onto the wires. Works well with 14 ga THHN stranded copper wire you can buy at Home Depot. For invisibility, I recommend black. They are durable. There will be some turns and twists of your line where extra snaps are needed to maintain the spacing.

Just a word of warning: this is apparently a small family-run business. I placed order, my credit card was charged, but I never got an order confirmation or anything. Two weeks later I started to worry, called them, wrote them an email - nothing, no response. Then the ladder snaps showed up. So, be patient. Don't be surprised if it takes 2 - 3 weeks to get your order.

W9XRT Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2015 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the way to go for OWL. Use the warm soapy water and practice and all will be just fine. See my install at qrz for W9XRT

N3NJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2015 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Product!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I cant say enough good things about this product. Take your time and get a feel for this before putting everything together. I used a flat piece of wood to help with construction and to keep everything uniform. My antenna has been up for almost two years and its still holding up fine. No soldering when using the dipole center insulator. You can see my antenna feed line at QRZ.com. 73, Mark N3NJ

K5DSQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2015 07:33 Send this review to a friend
2nd Anniversary  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had my Ladder Snap 600 Ohm 160 meter antenna up going on two years and could not be happier. Easy to build, zero problems, the snaps still look like new and the XYL loves the fact that the birds use it for a perch! Great product!

KD8OCT Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2015 18:23 Send this review to a friend
This is a great product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm picky about how things look, my other attempts at making my own spacers looked bad and didn't work out that well when wet and iced up. Found this product on the web, ordered a pack and couldn't be happier. I ground a flea market spark plug wire pulling tool to fit the thickness of the wire and made 50 foot of line in less than an hour. The fun was over before it started. Didn't even use any lube on the wire and worked without any damage to the THHN.

KJ5P Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2015 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Nicely Engineered  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading KA3RCS' review, I decided that I'd also use DX Engineering's premium 14AWG antenna wire. It's fairly flexible and easy to work with. I lubricated the spreaders by dipping the ends in a dishwashing soap and water mixture. I used slip joint pliers with jaw faces about 1/4 " square. The spreaders end in a point and by placing the jaw face on the point with the opposite jaw edge on the wire, I found the wire would slip right into place Having the two conductors drawn tight at about waist level was key to the effort. I also found that it was easier to hit the "sweet" spot if I alternated sides rather than reaching across for the opposite side.

KA3RCS Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2014 05:58 Send this review to a friend
Superb product  Time owned: more than 12 months
About two years ago, we decided to upgrade the HF antenna at our radio club site. We had been using a 75 meter dipole fed with typical ladder line. We decided to build a full wave 80 meter horizontal loop. While researching antenna supplies, I discovered Ladder Snaps.

I've built many antennas over the years with THHN wire, and while it is OK, I figured that there had to be something better. My research led to DX Engineering's premium 14 AWG antenna wire (as well as their antenna rope). This wire has softer insulation than THHN, and does not have the thin clear outer layer (which deteriorates after a bit of sun exposure anyway; the DX Engineering wire, like the Ladder Snaps, is intended to withstand UV). I doubt it took us 15 minutes to make the entire feedline (roughly 80 feet). We sprayed some Armor All on the wires and Ladder Snaps, and used pliers with electrical tape wrapped around them to snap them together. It all went together very quickly and easily, with no damaged insulation or anything. That wire and Ladder Snaps seem like they were designed to work together; I would highly recommend both.

We also used a machined Delrin dipole center insulator from 73CNC as the feedpoint at one corner of the loop. Thanks to this ingenious component, we were actually able to construct the entire loop and feedline from a single, contiguous piece of wire. I added a few zip ties on the insulator to prevent the wires from slipping. I also doubled up the Ladder Snaps next to the insulator and at the points where they were tied to support ropes for added strength.

The antenna has been up for about a year and a half at this point with no problems. It even survived an ice storm which brought several trees down on the loop, and which encased the feedline in a thick layer of ice. Only one Ladder Snap has ever broken, and it was not its fault. Someone in the club was flying a quadcopter at the site, and lost control of it. It flew into the feedline, and one of the rotors hit it... ;)

The performance of the antenna is nothing short of spectacular. I don't know how much is due to switching from a dipole to a loop, how much is due to placing the loop farther away from the towers and guy wires, and how much is due to switching from ladder line to open wire line. The fact that the tuning of the system is much more consistent between dry and wet/icy conditions makes me believe that the feedline is a significant part of it. The antenna (fed with an LDG autotuner and balun, with a very short Teflon coax jumper between them) tunes very well and consistently just about everywhere from 160 through 6 meters, and actually works even at the extremes where it shouldn't (7 states on 160, and Canada on 6 with 5 watts so far). I've worked all 50 states and nearly 150 DXCC entities with it, never with more than 100 watts, and many contacts at 5 watts (including Europe on 75 SSB). A European station on 40 told me that 5 watts into the loop was stronger than other stateside stations with 100 watts and beams, and another European station with an SDR told me I had the strongest signal on the entire 20 meter band with 100 watts. That antenna rocks!

In summary, Ladder Snaps are a truly excellent product, and an integral part of the most impressive HF antenna system I have ever used. I plan to use them exclusively for all future balanced line applications!

KA4KOE Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2014 05:24 Send this review to a friend
As Advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The key to assembly is to follow the directions and watch the video! I used warm soapy water with no issues. I assembled about 100' of feedline in under three hours. Highly recommended, but again....

FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!!

N6YW Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2014 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Great idea  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Let's face it, some people are better than others at certain tasks.

Delrin, like some plastics need to be warmed up to relax a little in order to facilitate this process. After reading some of the comments, It's readily apparent that some of the problems encountered are merely technique and getting a feel for it. The video on Youtube clearly shows the person having success with it. Like anything, results may vary. The concept of the design is brilliant and is much faster than rolling your own if that's your goal. I will also add that any projects success is a direct result of understanding, planning and proper execution.

K7KY Rating: 3/5 Feb 26, 2014 22:49 Send this review to a friend
Not quite as described...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Following the 73CNC video carefully, I was unable to snap the spacers in place w/o damaging the wire's thin surface coat. I was disappointed to later find a YouTube video describing the warm-soapy-water method of construction. Now, the surface coat on my doublet is broken at nearly every spacer.

Another problem is the no-solder feedpoint device. The weight of 180' of #14 wire & 80' of feedline is too heavy and pulls thru, stacking the spacers against the bottom. I first tried hot glue and ty-wraps, but it still slipped in windy weather. Finally, I clamped it with four stainless hose clamps. Two emails to the mfg for a solution or return brought no response.

The antenna has been up for over a year and it works very well, even in extended wet weather. It doesn't require retuning when it rains. The solder-less center piece is a slick idea, but it will not work with long antennas unless the wire is glued and clamped in place. For me, a simple soldered feedpoint would have been much better.

Recently, I noticed a small change in SWR when it rains and I found spider webs at nearly every spacer as high as I can see. Looks like I'll have to let it down for cleaning. The dust & pollen trapped in the webs is enough to change the SWR when wet, it seems.

I would give the feedpoint device 1, because 73CNC by now knows it does not work for long antennas w/o added clamps, glue, etc.