Reviews Categories | Feedlines (coax, ladder-line, etc.) | Ladder Snap Ladder Line Kits Help

Reviews Summary for Ladder Snap Ladder Line Kits
Ladder Snap Ladder Line Kits Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $29.99
Description: Make your own 600 ohm Ladder Line the easy way. No more
laborious cutting up plastic or wood dowel rods. Simply
open the bag and snap your line together. Make your
feedline up as you need it. Never again get caught short or
buy more feedline than you need to finish your antenna
project. You won't have to wait weeks for an out of stock
supplier during peak antenna building season.
For use with #14 THHN Stranded or Solid Wire

www.73CNC.com
More info: http://www.73CNC.com

You can write your own review of the Ladder Snap Ladder Line Kits.

K5DSQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2013 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Made up some ladder line this weekend for my 160 meter doublet. Like other have suggested you will need some practice to get the pliers positioned correctly in order to easily snap the wire in place. I found a small pair of water pump pliers worked best. Very nice product, easy on the XYL eyes and low wind resistance. The video suggested 18 inch spacing, but I did mine at 12. Works great! Highly recommended. Sure beats the 450 ohm stuff.

W9OS Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2012 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Great product fun to build  Time owned: months
The guys who say this product is no good must be all thumbs!!I string the two #14 wires across my back yard ends wrapped on the fence.I use just a regular old pair of pliers and a product like Armor All. I space 15 inches and can do 70 feet in less than an hour.I have this product at both of my QTH's on 80 meter dipoles. We had 80 mph winds in WI this past summer and never unsnapped a spacer..It's suspended by two trees , no center support.The feed line flops around like no tomorrow. Never a problem. Dump your old 450 ladder line..This stuff is the hot setup!

W8EZI Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2012 14:38 Send this review to a friend
works almost as described  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally got enough ambition to replace my 450 ohm window line to my 75 meter loop with open wire line using this product. As has been said earlier, using the pump pliers simply does not work very well or at all. The video instruction should be changed. I used a small channel lock pliers with the top end taped to reduce damage to the wire.

I then began testing the loop for SWR on all bands without a tuner. Things really changed from the 450 window line. I can only say the performance of my loop antenna was very significantly improved over the window line. I was actually very surprised at how much improvement.

I used #14 insulated stranded house wire for this project and it worked fine. The spacers sold worked well. They fit very tightly and will not slip. You must use a lubricant to snap them into place.

I suggest you practice pressing the wire in with some scrap wire before actually snapping in the wire you intend to use for your lead in.

This was a very worthwhile project for me.

K7KY Rating: 3/5 Aug 23, 2012 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Not as I thought  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed LadderSnap as shown in the company video using Armorall; I didn't know about the warm soapy water method. The recommended wire did not pop into place as easily as the video indicated and the outer insulation layer was compromised at nearly every slot. Very disappointing.

I also purchased their center support so the feedline and radiator is an unbroken wire on each side. A clever idea that eliminates a solder joint at the feed point, but I find that the wire pulls through the plastic support when pulling on the radiator by hand. That won't work well with the weight of a 180' antenna and 70' of feedline pulling much harder. To stop the wire from pulling through the support I added another spacer up against the bottom of the center support and wrapped the wire to the support with zip-ties in three places on each side and hot glued the wire/ties/support together. I hope this will stop the slippage. I plan to get the antenna up this weekend.

Ladder Snap should also demonstrate the hot soapy water method. It seems to cause less insulation damage. Degrading the insulation during construction will result in earlier repair or replacement.

I rate this product 3 because it didn't install as shown in the video and the center support does not hold the wire in place when loaded. I tried three types of pliers and also tried wrapping tape on the jaws to soften them. I also tried placing a piece of hardwood over the wire, but it was too difficult to place correctly 130 times.

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2012 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Seems to works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi, I purchased a 250 foot Ladder Snap kit, with the intention of making about 160 feet of ladder line. To install the snaps as suggested by the manufacturer, I tried to use Armor AllŪ as a lubricant, and both slip joint pliers and plumber's pliers. However, all of that helped very little with the installation. After struggling with the snaps for several hours on the work bench, trying to install them as suggested by the manufacturer, I became frustrated and nearly gave up on this product.

Nevertheless, I decided to give it one last shot. I'm glad I did, after reading several of the reviews here, I was able to install them. IMO, the most efficient way to install the ladder snaps, is to locate an open space and stretch out your parallel wires to the length required.

To do this, I put a snap on each end of the parallel wires and secured each end of the line to a fence post to stretch it out.

Next, as suggested by W4HBM, you should place the ladder snaps into a bucket of warm soapy water, this really did the trick. Using 18 inch spacing, I was able to assemble 160 feet of ladder line in about an hour and a half. To lock the wire to the snaps, I used a small pair of 7 inch channel lock pliers.

IMO, the manufacturer really needs to give better installation instructions. Their suggestion to use Armor AllŪ was a waste of time. Warm soapy water was more effective, and did not leave your hands feeling slippery.

AB4D Rating: 3/5 Aug 20, 2012 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Tedious product.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi, I purchased a 250 foot Ladder Snap kit, with the intention of making about 160 feet of ladder line. I had high hopes for this product. However, I found the ladder snaps to be really tedious to install on the wire. To install the snaps, as suggested by the manufacturer I tried to use Armor AllŪ as a lubricant, and both slip joint pliers and plumber's pliers. All of that helped very little with the installation, but the plumber's pliers did work better than the standard pliers.

After spending nearly three hours, and only successfully making about 40 feet of line, I gave up on this product. To the contrary, it took about 2 minutes to easily remove the snaps. In the past, I have made my ladder line with home brew spreaders made from 1/2 inch UV stabilized PVC conduit and mini black tie wraps. I found that process is much easier and quicker, than the ladder snaps.

Others have had good luck with these, and that is great, but I can't really recommend them.

K7NJC Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2012 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Great for building multi-band dipoles  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a bag of ladder line snaps to build multi-band dipoles for both the house and field day. They are easy to install and look very good once the antenna is installed. For wire, I use the 14 gauge wire that is sold by DX engineering in their wire antenna kits.

Winters can be tough in Montana and this is a product that you do not have worry failing in the middle of the winter.

Dick
K7NJC

K4OR Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2012 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I replaced 450 ohm ladder line I had been using for years and decided to make my own balanced line using ladder-snap spacers. I was very satisfied with how well the job went in a minimal amount of time. I used warm soapy water and household pliers and it worked fine. I think another type of pliers such as those mentioned in the other reviews may work better. I would certainly recommend ladder-snap to anyone desiring to make their own balanced feedline.

WA5OPT Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2012 02:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If your thinking about using open wire transmission line, THIS is the way to to go. The product and service are top notch. Ladder snap works like a charm. It only took me about two hours to make a 75 ft feed line. The last one that same size took all day.

WA5OPT
Cliff

W4HBM Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2012 15:41 Send this review to a friend
A Better Mousetrap  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The last time I made a ladder line I used PVC water pipe and XHHW-2 wire. It took weeks, and then, the foolish tubes would slide down the wire leaving 3 foot sections and piles of tubes where they didn't belong. Then, 12 years later, the wire turned to cheese andmy analyzer said the entire mess was >10:1 SWR and the Impedance (Z) was Zero Ohms.
So I took a chance and ordered the 250 foot Ladder Snap kit of 174 pieces. Kinda pricey, but they're Delrin plastic, not PVC, and they need to be cooked in hot water to work. Take the iron kettle right out with ya. Don't listen to them about using a combo set of pliers. Go buy a Channel-Lock Pipe plier and use the narrowest setting. Get it when you get your THHN wire.
Wait until it's the coldest day of the year, with wind blowing at 30 MPH gusts or better. Antenna work is not effective if the wx is mild.
Take the bucket of hot sudsy water out there and let the cool breeze tantalize your fingertips as the water evaporates. After finishing, brush a little dab'll do ya of Polyurethane varnish right over the pinch area, because the wire's insulation gets a little stressed, but don't paint the whole shebang. The snaps have small holes in the cross members. These are great for putting waxed nylon lacing twine through for hanging the ladder line, etc. You're not going to find any equivalent pieces/parts out there, and just forget about PVC tubing.