Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | RigExpert AA-30 Antenna Analyzer Help

Reviews Summary for RigExpert AA-30 Antenna Analyzer
RigExpert AA-30 Antenna Analyzer Reviews: 37 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$265
Description: The RigExpert AA-30 is a powerful antenna analyzer designed for testing, checking, tuning or repairing antennas and antenna feedlines. It provides a graphical display of SWR and impedance (magnitude and phase) over a user-defined frequency range which significantly reduces the time required to adjust an antenna. Easy-to use measurement modes, as well as additional features such as connection to a personal computer (to plot Smith diagrams, etc.), makes the RigExpert AA-30 attractive for professionals and hobbyists.

The following tasks are easily accomplished with the RigExpert AA-30:

Tuning an antenna to resonance
Antenna SWR and impedance measurements
Measuring the parameters of coaxial lines
Cable testing and fault location
Measuring capacitance or inductance of reactive loads
Use as a signal source for testing receivers, filters, etc.

You can write your own review of the RigExpert AA-30 Antenna Analyzer.

VE1YY Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2017 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using my AA-30 for over five years.

I use it for tweaking antennas at or near the antenna's feed point. If that's impractical and I must read at the input end of the transmission line, I plug the unit into the PC. Using a table in the supplied software, I enter my feed line type and length, and compensate for its effect thus giving a good approximation of what's happening at the actual feed point.

I also use the analyzer to check transmission line quality by assessing loss per 100 feet (SWR method) and bumps in impedance (frequency domain reflectometry) along the line.

It's a great instrument for my kind of hamming.
KE0ABA Rating: 4/5 May 25, 2017 16:28 Send this review to a friend
Be Careful!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Good Price. Good Performance. Really like the Save to PC feature. I'd give it a 5 but I broke it due to my own fault - mostly. I had a PL259 connected that had a little extra solder globed onto the tip of the center conductor. It went into the AA-30 kinda hard but when I pulled it out, I pulled the entire center conductor of the SO239 out of the AA-30. I took it apart, installed another SO connector, re-soldered the center conductor and was back in business. Took less than 15 minutes to fix. Since then, I have installed a double PL259 and a barrel connector. Now when/if I have to tug on it, I have something to hold onto to keep this from happening again.
KD6NXI Rating: 4/5 May 17, 2017 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Mostly good but glass falls off.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Glass face keeps falling off. Must tape in place.
Finer resolution would be nice to show exactly what value is what on the graph. Otherwise very handy.
K6CRC Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2017 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Bang for the Buck - Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tired of my MFJ eating batteries. Also wanted a scan feature. The AA-30 does the trick. But, the plotting in slow, and the LCD screen is fairly dim in bright light.
The reason I gave it a 4, is MacOS compatibility. It is advertised as 'Mac OSX compatible', but not possible now. The software they specify doesn't run on modern versions of OS X. You need to have a dual boot or VM with Windozzz running to use the computer based application.
Not a big deal, just an annoyance.
For the money, and even without computer output, it is a good deal.
KC9VFI Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2016 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I can use this product with my PC and print out a graph showing SWR and other applications. This is useful especially when comparing more than just one antenna. MY MFJ 259C has a few more perks, but the RigExpert AA-30 can be useful in other ways, especially PC compatible. Be sure to purchase a USB cable and software.
NO2CW Rating: 4/5 Jul 12, 2016 06:49 Send this review to a friend
As advertised check connections  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used it many times since I got mine and it does a good job. I rate it 4 instead of 5 because the SO 239 on top is partly below the plastic cover and a couple of my coax cables cannot make a good contact even when screwed all the way in.
KA4KOE Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2015 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my AA30 and I am using it to set the tank circuit resonance on a broadcast transmitter. I have had no issues with getting the included software to load and run propertly. My confuserator has an Intel I7 processor running Windows 10.

The user commmands are very intuitive. I didn't envision using this tool above 10 meters so I only purchased the base model.

Gigaparts shipped quickly and without issue.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2015 20:14 Send this review to a friend
RE AA-30 very good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have a MFJ 259 Antenna Analyzer for last 15+years It has always worked for me setting up antennas, was setting up a new MFJ 1775 dipole, after tuning in 40m's with the 259 it gave up an quit. Brought the RE AA-30 so I could finish the job, never used the AA-30 before but found it easy to use, love the SWR sweeps
I can see it good in bright sun light. Hope it holds up like the 259 did, Have only used these two analyzers but like the AA-30 better than the MFJ 259................kb6hrt
VU2JE Rating: 0/5 Sep 18, 2015 08:07 Send this review to a friend
Died on me.. Avoid  Time owned: more than 12 months
Rigexpert AA30 died on me just after 2 year warranty period.. no amount of trying helped i.e. uploading firmware etc.. scrapped it - an unnecessary loss..

Must be of poor build quality, as it was carefully handled, stored and sparingly used with care..

AVOID RIGEXPERT buy an inexpensive antenna analyzer like Sark100, so you do not lose out like this!
AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2015 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Very good analyzer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use to have for years the MFJ-259 and 269 and they were good instruments doing what they were designed for but I never liked the fact of having to carry 10 AA batteries inside making them heavy and big.
A month ago I purchased this AA-30 following the good reviews here and I am very plesed with it.
Not only is lighter because the fact of using just two AA batteries but also its faster calculating the resonance freq, impedance, reactance, etc been very accurate, its definitively a keeper, I already sold my old MFJ-269 and kept this one as my future antenna analyzer. Lately I installed a 40M bazooka and with this instrument was a piece of cake to shorten it to bring it in resonance at 7.050 where I wanted it to be.
This instrement is the less expensive of its class around 260 bucks but its definitively the best investment any ham should have.