Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | RigExpert AA-30 Antenna Analyzer Help

Reviews Summary for RigExpert AA-30 Antenna Analyzer
RigExpert AA-30 Antenna Analyzer Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$265
Description: The RigExpert AA-30 is a powerful antenna analyzer designed for testing, checking, tuning or repairing antennas and antenna feedlines. It provides a graphical display of SWR and impedance (magnitude and phase) over a user-defined frequency range which significantly reduces the time required to adjust an antenna. Easy-to use measurement modes, as well as additional features such as connection to a personal computer (to plot Smith diagrams, etc.), makes the RigExpert AA-30 attractive for professionals and hobbyists.

The following tasks are easily accomplished with the RigExpert AA-30:

Tuning an antenna to resonance
Antenna SWR and impedance measurements
Measuring the parameters of coaxial lines
Cable testing and fault location
Measuring capacitance or inductance of reactive loads
Use as a signal source for testing receivers, filters, etc.
More info: http://www.rigexpert.com

You can write your own review of the RigExpert AA-30 Antenna Analyzer.

WB3DLS Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2012 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellant piece of test gear  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first antenna analyzer, so I can't make a comparison to others. However, I'm an electrical engineer with over 25 years of hardware and software product development so I know and appreciate a good piece of test gear when I get my hands on it. The AA-30 is very portable and intuitive to use. Plus being able to make prints or PDFs of the SWR or Z scans using the USB interface is really great. Makes tuning an almost fun experience. Ordering was easy and the unit arrived within 2 days.

N4EEB Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2012 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using mine on and off for about a year. I have used it on my home station antennas, while getting mobile ready for QSO Party and while in Puerto Rico on a trip. It has been a great, dependable tool.

N2MVV Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2012 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Quality Analyzer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was in the market for a quality antenna analyzer and read many of the reviews on this site. I chose this over the MFJ-259 because of the craftsmanship.

I bought this analyzer to add to my ham radio collection. At the moment, I used it to tune 10 Meters to 20 Meters on the Buddistick antenna with a steady whip length and various radial lengths. After several tests, I was able to resonant the antenna with various coil tap settings.

I am looking forward to using this for many years to come on various antennas. It is a must have instead of just a SWR meter and saves you much wasted time on resonating your antenna.

I purchased the analyzer from Array Solutions. The only negative thing was that it took 6 days UPS shipping from Texas to New York for $16 for the 1 pound box?

KJ4VTH Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2011 20:35 Send this review to a friend
love it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Graphic and numerical displays permits quick and easy adjustment of Buddistick antenna which means I can make more DX contacts with less power and no external tuner/match unit.
Also look at the AA-54 for simultaneous multi-band display and AA-230 for VHF coverage.

N9AMI Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2011 07:50 Send this review to a friend
No More MFJ  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is economically the best bang for your buck in an antenna analyzer you can buy. It does everything your MFJ does and more. You can view things graphically and hook it to your computer and use smith charting and other graphic tools. Not one hiccup very intuitive to use I highly recommend it even all the plug me in hams can even figure it out.

IW0HEU Rating: 4/5 May 16, 2011 01:36 Send this review to a friend
TAKE MUCH CARE OF GROUND CONDITIONS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HI. The AA30 is a good and important equipment for your station, if you want to learn more about aerials or keep yr rigs away from fail using them as signal generators...
But after a day on the roof, I found an important thing: USE AA-30 IN THE SAME GND CONDITION OF YOUR RIGS, 'cause you could expect big troubles if you dont care about this issue. I thought the analizer was defected, but under PC use all things become more clear and SWR matched (more) with rigs response (IC7000-PRO3-IC7400). The morning after, I performed some checks and I found the reason!
Take a look to the data below:
Freq. 7050KHz, windom, RG58, changes only in ground configuration.
NO GND: SWR1.6/Z33.3/R32.7-6,4J
RIG GND: SWR1.2/Z45.0/R44.6-6,4J
PC GND: SWR1.06/Z47.7/R47.7-1,5J
PC GND+RIG GND: SWR1.11/Z53.8/R53.6-4,1J

NOTE: PC GND means that USB cable is inserted in both PC and AA30.
NOTE2: all data taken from AA30 screen.

I have'nt found any 'warning' or 'caution' regarding this in the operation manual.

As usual, another good equipment but you must use in the correct way, otherwise you will go crazy!

Thanks for attention, and sorry for boring. :)
Feel free to send me yr opinion, and let me learn more!
Max IW0HEU (find e-mail on qrz.com)
"NEVER UNDERSTIMATE THE GROUND"

K3PD Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2011 14:54 Send this review to a friend
MUCH more utility than ABC brand!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just used one to set up a 5 band trap vertical. (yes, I know but I have neighbors) USB to computer to graph and print curves. Overlayed sheets at the window to get a really good look at the changes due to tuning. Finally graphed each band for future reference. This one makes the "ABC" brand obsolete.

KD4LTP Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2011 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For the price you can't go wrong. Used portable it is more than adequate. Used with your PC it is an very professional tool. Great graphs for before and after comparisons, etc. I have used others. This one is best.

KW4N Rating: 4/5 Feb 27, 2011 05:11 Send this review to a friend
Great, but...........  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The unit does everything as described, is very light,can fit in your back pocket, and doesn't require a bag full of AA batteries to operate. It's made in the Ukraine and the batteries in Poland (Panasonic label). Shipped from Canada.
From final inspection(?) at the factory to the customer, I have nits with this device that resulted in a "4"
1. The screws at the back were loose and required tightening down about 1/2" inch each.
2.The two included batteries had a life of about an hour. Replacement Energizers still running after 4 hours of use.
3.The supplier knew the disc was contaminated but shipped it anyway without prior notification. Just because the software is easily downloaded, there's no excuse for this.
4.No A/B USB cable.
5.Almost $17. shipping for 1/2# (before the gas crisis)Profit from shipping? I can ship a 14# boat trailer winch from the midwest to Florida for $10!

K5AF Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2011 10:20 Send this review to a friend
Power in Your Hands!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm very impressed with this latest analyzer from RigExpert. Being in a neighborhood with antenna restrictions, I am forced to hide antennas and feedlines. Often, I'll remote my tuner to the attic or out in the yard to feed a stealthy wire antenna.

What is so amazing about this analyst is that you can tune an antenna to resonance at the feedpoint in real time, its almost like having a small rig with you, and then you can determine the antenna bandwidth and a host of other information. What you see at the antenna is exactly what you get at the other end of the coax! This analyst is perfect for adjusting an antenna to resonance. You can see immediately the results of adding or subtracting length with an antenna.

The instrument is physically large, which I like. Numbers are fairly easy to read, and the display is more than adequate. You can chart SWR and R and X values across the entire range of the analyst, and you discover some interesting things about your antenna that you didn't know before. I checked the SWR on my 22' cage vertical and found one resonant point near 7mHz and another near 18mHz. With some minor redesign, I may be able to use the antenna on both those bands without a tuner.

This replaces a Autek RF-1, which has served me well. Good job, RigExpert!