Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | RigExpert AA-30 Antenna Analyzer Help

Reviews Summary for RigExpert AA-30 Antenna Analyzer
RigExpert AA-30 Antenna Analyzer Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$265
Description: The RigExpert AA-30 is a powerful antenna analyzer designed for testing, checking, tuning or repairing antennas and antenna feedlines. It provides a graphical display of SWR and impedance (magnitude and phase) over a user-defined frequency range which significantly reduces the time required to adjust an antenna. Easy-to use measurement modes, as well as additional features such as connection to a personal computer (to plot Smith diagrams, etc.), makes the RigExpert AA-30 attractive for professionals and hobbyists.

The following tasks are easily accomplished with the RigExpert AA-30:

Tuning an antenna to resonance
Antenna SWR and impedance measurements
Measuring the parameters of coaxial lines
Cable testing and fault location
Measuring capacitance or inductance of reactive loads
Use as a signal source for testing receivers, filters, etc.
More info: http://www.rigexpert.com

You can write your own review of the RigExpert AA-30 Antenna Analyzer.

M0AZE Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2013 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Every ham should have one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the AA-30 and what immediately struck me was how compact and light the unit is. Very easy to use 2 x AA battery cells that last a fair time or powered via USB from your computer.

One of the other main considerations was to connect the AA-30 to my Apple Mac. This is where the reality did not match my expectations! After much head scratching and e-mails with the Ukaine the solution was to install and run a Windows emulator on the Mac (Wine and X11). The supplied software is not Mac OSX. So Mac users please be aware as the unit is advertised as compatible with Mac OSX.

The other consideration is this model has no memory functions. The next model up (AA54) does and I did not realise this until after purchasing. Not a big deal as long as you can connect to your PC and store files that way. For those of you on Windows you should not have the same issues as I. If it were really packaged to run on Mac OSX then I would have given this a 4.5 rating and with memories a 5.

Every ham should have one, you begin to realise the reality of whats going on when constructing and measuring your antennas performance. My multi band trapped dipole will have to be replaced, always thought it was lacking and now I know exactly why. Something not so obvious when i built the antenna using the MFJ 269. This unit plots a lovely graph. But the MFJ still has a role to play and is nowhere near ready for the scrap box even after 20 years.

2E0UDX Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2012 06:20 Send this review to a friend
It's brilliant!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first analyizer as i have always borrowed an MFJ in the past. I went for the rig expert because i have watched a few reviews on Youtube and thought it looked simple to use and was very accurate .All i can say is get one you won't be dissapointed .

WB3DLS Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2012 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellant piece of test gear  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first antenna analyzer, so I can't make a comparison to others. However, I'm an electrical engineer with over 25 years of hardware and software product development so I know and appreciate a good piece of test gear when I get my hands on it. The AA-30 is very portable and intuitive to use. Plus being able to make prints or PDFs of the SWR or Z scans using the USB interface is really great. Makes tuning an almost fun experience. Ordering was easy and the unit arrived within 2 days.

N4EEB Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2012 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using mine on and off for about a year. I have used it on my home station antennas, while getting mobile ready for QSO Party and while in Puerto Rico on a trip. It has been a great, dependable tool.

N2MVV Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2012 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Quality Analyzer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was in the market for a quality antenna analyzer and read many of the reviews on this site. I chose this over the MFJ-259 because of the craftsmanship.

I bought this analyzer to add to my ham radio collection. At the moment, I used it to tune 10 Meters to 20 Meters on the Buddistick antenna with a steady whip length and various radial lengths. After several tests, I was able to resonant the antenna with various coil tap settings.

I am looking forward to using this for many years to come on various antennas. It is a must have instead of just a SWR meter and saves you much wasted time on resonating your antenna.

I purchased the analyzer from Array Solutions. The only negative thing was that it took 6 days UPS shipping from Texas to New York for $16 for the 1 pound box?

KJ4VTH Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2011 20:35 Send this review to a friend
love it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Graphic and numerical displays permits quick and easy adjustment of Buddistick antenna which means I can make more DX contacts with less power and no external tuner/match unit.
Also look at the AA-54 for simultaneous multi-band display and AA-230 for VHF coverage.

N9AMI Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2011 07:50 Send this review to a friend
No More MFJ  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is economically the best bang for your buck in an antenna analyzer you can buy. It does everything your MFJ does and more. You can view things graphically and hook it to your computer and use smith charting and other graphic tools. Not one hiccup very intuitive to use I highly recommend it even all the plug me in hams can even figure it out.

IW0HEU Rating: 4/5 May 16, 2011 01:36 Send this review to a friend
TAKE MUCH CARE OF GROUND CONDITIONS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HI. The AA30 is a good and important equipment for your station, if you want to learn more about aerials or keep yr rigs away from fail using them as signal generators...
But after a day on the roof, I found an important thing: USE AA-30 IN THE SAME GND CONDITION OF YOUR RIGS, 'cause you could expect big troubles if you dont care about this issue. I thought the analizer was defected, but under PC use all things become more clear and SWR matched (more) with rigs response (IC7000-PRO3-IC7400). The morning after, I performed some checks and I found the reason!
Take a look to the data below:
Freq. 7050KHz, windom, RG58, changes only in ground configuration.
NO GND: SWR1.6/Z33.3/R32.7-6,4J
RIG GND: SWR1.2/Z45.0/R44.6-6,4J
PC GND: SWR1.06/Z47.7/R47.7-1,5J
PC GND+RIG GND: SWR1.11/Z53.8/R53.6-4,1J

NOTE: PC GND means that USB cable is inserted in both PC and AA30.
NOTE2: all data taken from AA30 screen.

I have'nt found any 'warning' or 'caution' regarding this in the operation manual.

As usual, another good equipment but you must use in the correct way, otherwise you will go crazy!

Thanks for attention, and sorry for boring. :)
Feel free to send me yr opinion, and let me learn more!
Max IW0HEU (find e-mail on qrz.com)
"NEVER UNDERSTIMATE THE GROUND"

K3PD Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2011 14:54 Send this review to a friend
MUCH more utility than ABC brand!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just used one to set up a 5 band trap vertical. (yes, I know but I have neighbors) USB to computer to graph and print curves. Overlayed sheets at the window to get a really good look at the changes due to tuning. Finally graphed each band for future reference. This one makes the "ABC" brand obsolete.

KD4LTP Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2011 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For the price you can't go wrong. Used portable it is more than adequate. Used with your PC it is an very professional tool. Great graphs for before and after comparisons, etc. I have used others. This one is best.