Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Opek VUM-201 Dual band Mag mount Help

Reviews Summary for Opek VUM-201 Dual band Mag mount

CABLE: 9' RG-174A/U
LENGTH: 50.5 cm With BNC or SMA

"RARE EARTH MAGNET"
More info: http://www.opektech.com/Mobile_Antennas.html

You can write your own review of the Opek VUM-201 Dual band Mag mount.

KD0GDV Rating: 4/5 Feb 14, 2016 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Nice, But A Bit Fragile  Time owned: more than 12 months
This really is a great little antenna. The only problem is that it's relatively fragile. I keep one in the shack, put it on a cookie sheet to complete the ground plane, and connect it for 2/440 with my FT-817. The SMA connector and mini-coax are relatively fragile. I'm on my third one. I keep a new one in a gear box in the truck so it's always at the ready, but I'm always careful with it because I never know when it's going to give me trouble. But, hey, for $20 it's not a biggie to replace it now and again.

KD0PCJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2015 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Dual Band Mag Mount for the Size  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not wishing to put a particularly conspicuous antenna on my two seat sports car, and one that can be easily removed, a Kenwood dealer friend suggested this little Opek mag mount. I use it with an IC-T7H through a 25 watt linear. This antenna has never failed me, even at 75mph. The coax is thin, after two years of being pinched by the window/rubber when rolled up I've had no issues. Works surprisingly well for as thin and small as it is. Recommended!

K4IED Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2014 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent bang 4 buck factor  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For the price this is an excellent antenna. I purchased a Baofeng UV82 as my first ham radio last OCT and use this antenna when mobile. As I was still new to ham I didn't want to write a review since I really had, and still have, a lot to learn. Since then I have used several other antennas in the mobile and despite its size the antenna really does work great. When using it with the HT I would even rather have this antenna compared to my others because of the small coax it is not hard to handle the radio and the larger coax is also kinda hard on the little SMA stud. Rare earth mag works great and has never popped off on me. Great to use, or for the price great for a backup or just to play and compare.

KF5HDU Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2011 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Very good reports!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First of all, I paid $20.00 for the mount, antenna, cabling, etc. How good could it be? Great! I got the antenna this morning, and put it on my truck. I mounted it in the middle of my cab roof, and hooked to a Yaesu FT-60 HT. I drive a lot, and this morning was no exception. I worked 5 different repeaters on my FT-7900 and Diamond 770HA antenna. Last week I worked a repeater here in Dallas from 71 miles away, and this morning a couple of people asked me about my rig because I was full quieting at 45-50 miles from a couple of repeaters. When I got back near my office, I parked on a small hill and keyed up the HT. Another HAM said I getting in great, no background noise, great audio to a repeater in Mesquite, Texas, and I was west of Dallas about 2 miles. This repeater was 23 miles away. I then switched to another repeater 32 miles away, same report! O.K., last test, Simplex. I called out on 52 and got a contact about 25 miles away with the 7900 on 50 watts. It was snowy, but we could copy each other. After 5 minutes of rag chewing, I switched to my HT running 5 watts. He said he could make out every second or third word. Not bad! I finished up the QSO and headed back to my office, where I sit, happy as a lark. For a portable, easy to deploy, and inexpensive rig, it works great. For anyone who wants a flexible solution, or the person who only uses HT's This is a great option in IMHO.

73's

WA5YXS

W4MPT Rating: 4/5 Oct 29, 2010 00:06 Send this review to a friend
Good mobile antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good all-around dual band mag mount. Coax very thin, but good for temporary use. I use this antenna on 3 cars, and as a temp base antenna. Magnet is approximately the size of a US nickel. BNC connector seems to be of adequate quality. Whip is very very thin, but takes a surprising amount of force to actually bend. I've had no problems at freeway speeds, doesn't feel like this antenna will go flying off.