Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Henry 2K-4 Help

Reviews Summary for Henry 2K-4
Henry 2K-4 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $3000 new in 1960
Description: 80/75 to 10 meters, no WARC bands, 1800 watts output using pair of 3-500Z tubes in grounded grid configuration. 1960 vintage.
More info: http://henryradio.com

You can write your own review of the Henry 2K-4.

N0XM Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2014 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Solid amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Other than 30 and 160 meters, amp does great on 10-12-15-17-20-40-80 meters. Won't tune on 30 meters, and 160 is way out of the amp's OEM design limits. Pretty heavy piece of equipment to get moved into the shack, needed help as it approximated 125 pounds. Seems to built in a durable manner and the 3-500 tubes are still viewed as being reliable and are still able to be sourced readily should they be needed.

I'm happy with the purchase. Wish I could have afforded one back in the 1960's. Seems to have been worth the wait.

K7XDX Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2012 08:37 Send this review to a friend
A solid powerful performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked this up used from a local ham. I was using Ameritron 811H with 572b tubes and wanted a legal limit amplifier. It had been sitting in storage for a while I would say.

It's heavy,makes quite a bit of heat and noise, but what a peformer. looks great in the shack.

I cleaned it up and checked the voltages. It is easy to load up and very forgiving. Never misses a beat. I added a buck transformer to the filament supply to drop the voltage down to since was designed for 220 and I have a hot 250 volts supplying it.

Legal limit is no problem. Great audio reports.
Sure you can get easier to run amps now for more bucks, but it's a HENRY!

NE7X Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2010 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Solid as a tank  Time owned: months
This amplifier if over 50 years old and its still running full duty. I run my Henry 2K-4 on SSB, CW, RTTY and AM, no issue, BIG signal....

Easy to work on, lots of room for your hands and soldering tools. Replacement parts can be easily obtained at any hamfest or ebay.

One issue I did have, using any older RF amplifier with the newer solid state transceivers, the internal T/R relay energizes to slow. To resolve this, I replaced the internal mechanical relay with 6ms vacuum relays. Now the 2K-4 not only works great with the newer radios, its also full QSK break-in.

For detail pictures of the QSK mod, go to http://www.ne7x.com/henry_2k4_mod.htm

This mod will work with any of the older RF amplifiers which use slower mechanical T/R relays.

73s and enjoy the hobby.