Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, duplexer, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, e | NS 3 KHz Roofing filters for FT-2000/FT-950 Help

Reviews Summary for NS 3 KHz Roofing filters for FT-2000/FT-950
NS 3 KHz Roofing filters for FT-2000/FT-950 Reviews: 38 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $USD $304.80
Description:
3 KHz Roofing filter modification for the FT-2000 & FT-950
THE NS FILTER MOD DELIVERS!
+20 db typical increase in IMDDR3
2.4-2.6 KHz -6db bandwidth (typical)
More info: http://www.ac0c.com/

You can write your own review of the NS 3 KHz Roofing filters for FT-2000/FT-950.

OK2ZO Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2014 11:05 Send this review to a friend
WOW..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Finally got time to install it into my FT950.
Jim OK2GTI helped me to install - removed old filter with hot air and soldered coax ends instead (no need to remove caps and cut anything).

The noise when switched 6-3kHz came down at least 50 percent, signal is about same level, but much better readable. I can sugest to every owner of FT950/2000.

8P6SH Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2014 15:46 Send this review to a friend
Essential FT950 upgrade   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When I was contemplating options for newer rigs for a contest SO2R environment I settled on a pair of FT950's largely because of the reputation of this filter.
My first attempt to install was not successful. The instructions are simple enough but my own skill level and the very small size of the components made me abandon the install after my first effort failed and I did not want to cause any damage to the circuit boards.
I finally got a local ham with far more experience to do the install - 8P6MW completed the installation and it has immediately proven to be a useful tool.
Listening around the bands and switching the three filters confirms that the NS filter has many positives:
Much less noisy passband.
Significantly better handling/rejection of adjacent signals.
The DNR seems to work more effectively and over the full range (1-15) - where at the higher numbers it can distort with 6khz and 15khz filters.
The shift works significantly better/smoother at this bandwidth.
Of course when you have solid signals with little or no adjacent qrm, switching between this and the stock filters shows very little difference. this is mainly for the high-performance crowd and especially for the contester.
Also I think my inexperience notwithstanding, I think the mod is conceptually simple enough but the size of the components could come as a surprise especially when you see all the nice photos which are highly magnified. The guidance about the need for good light and magnification is not to be taken lightly.
Finally though I do need to record the great after-sales service from AC0C who was kind enough to even send me some replacement caps after I fried the originals. His trouble-shooting ability and overall support of the product was great.
This rig got hammered in the last CQ WW Phone contest so I'm looking forward to seeing how it stands up to that contest several months from now.
Would I purchase this filter again? In a heartbeat. it does what it says and turns the $1k FT950 into a contest grade rig.

TA3EP Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2014 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Great filter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a second hand FT-950 last year. I liked radio much, but there was one thing missing: The stock 3 Khz roofing filter was a joke and there is nothing different from 6 KHz filter. I like contesting and this situation was rather boring for me. Then, I found the AC0C NS 3 Khz filter on the web. I wrote to Jeff, AC0C. He is a great dealer and great HAM. If you write him, he answers 100% and tries to help you. I bought a filter for my rig. I mounted it in the rig by myself. I am 53 years old and suffering presbiopia. More, I don't have any experience about SMD montage. I bought myself a binocular forehead loop. This loop has done the job. The most difficult part of montage is desoldering the 2 SMD capacitors and then soldering them to their places again. I have dropped and lost them 2 times into the rig and spend a couple of hours to find them :) Other operations worked like clockwork. After all job had been done, I have seen the miracle. The filter works great and really does what it promissed. The selectivity has become superior. The deep sound of the bands decreased at least 4-5 dB and listening the bands has become a great fun. I can hear very weak stations and can make QSO easily. My XYL says the voice of other stations now heard as clean as talking on the cellular phone.
This was the best spent money for me. Yaesu had to use this filter as stock filter. Jeff has done what Yaesu had missed. Thank you Jeff.
If you like your FT-950 same as me, don't think so much, buy and mount this filter. You will feel the great difference. This filter exchanges a great rig to a very excellent rig.

PA1CW Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2013 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Really really fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I make a copy of the review from PA7RA.
I am using the filter for 2 years now and the result is really "fantastic"

The filter is really a big improvement for the FT-2000
everything listens much quieter.
Installation is done by PA3HK (Henny) thanks for this.
for me it was quite an operation but an experienced man like Henny a piece of cake, how it seemed to me to be hi.
Once home to come back to the FT-2000 is connected and it's like a whole different radios have!
This is the money really worth it

Again Jeff, Henny thanks for this great improvement for the FT-2000.

Regards Theo PA1CW

PA0LMD Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2013 10:53 Send this review to a friend
Great filter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
By request of a customer I purchased and installed the NS 3 kHz roofing filter. Installation instructions are extensive and clear.I checked the filter the filter response and it performs exactly as promised. A real improvement for the FT-2000

PA7RA Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2012 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello,

The filter is really a big improvement for the FT-2000
everything listens much quieter.
Installation is done by PA3HK (Henny) thanks for this.
This is the money really worth it
And I have the filter only 3 days in the FT-2000!
Again Jeff, Henny thanks for this great improvement for the FT-2000.

best wishes
73 "
Rien, PA7RA

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2012 18:37 Send this review to a friend
So far very impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I donít have any testing gear here so my observations are very much real world but from what I can tell it has some benefits. For certain it is now decidedly different in performance to the 6KHz filter whereas the stock 3KHz filter was almost identical in response/sound. I had a strong station next to the frequency of a signal I was listening to. Switching to the new filter in and selecting the right IPO stage gave me a greater reduction of the QRM.

It seems the SNR is improved somewhat when activating the new roofing filter. If there is a station in the noise, when bringing the NS filter it brings the signal level down but you can hear the station much easier. There is a slight reduction in fidelity when listening to strong stations compared with the 6KHz/15KHz filter, which I guess is to be expected when the skirts on the Network Sciences filter are around 2.7KHz.

Time will tell if it was a good investment for me but from my initial tests it certainly is a noticeable modification and certainly can produce some positive results. Activating the filter when tuning around a band seems to make the radio a lot more tame Ė reducing the noise whilst preserving decent S-Points. When working in busy/contest conditions I think I will be able to see if it comes into itís own.

AGYOUNG Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2012 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Addition to the radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This filter is an outstanding addition to an otherwise ok receiver. This filter just makes all the difference in close in strong signals. Makes the radio much more capable.
My compliments go to Jeff AC0C for the development along with his counterparts for coming up with a very outstanding filter and install procedure. My hat goes off to Jeff for some additional help that was provided immediately and I highly recommend this filter. Installation was not that difficult with the help of Jeff. Works extremely well.

EI4HQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2011 09:41 Send this review to a friend
Put Manners on your FT2K: DO THIS MOD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The stock Yaesu FT2000 is sadly relegated to an "also-ran" position because of the bad 3khz roofing filter, a design fault that compromises the rigs usbility for serious contesting and DX work. The fault is particularly unfortunate as otherwise the FT2000s scorecard is so very very good. To mention but one aspect, the ergonomics are the best I've ever seen in a radio. When all seemed lost along came a group of dedicated, persistent (dare I say stubborn?) hams who saw the ugly ducklings potential and put in a huge amount of effort to figure out exactly what was needed to turn it into a beautiful swan. The result is the NS 3 KHz roofing filter courtesy of Jeff Blaine AC0C. The result is a different radio and one that takes its rightful place as a serious contest and DX machine. The filter is simply fantastic. It works and it puts manners on every other aspect of the receiver. It is not an overstatement nor is it inaccurate to say that fitting this filter results in a different radio. It's true. If you own an FT2000 then you simply MUST install this mod. I found the installation a bit nerve wracking but I realise now that it was more a fear of being disappointed with the result than the difficulty of the installation itself that had me sweating. I needn't have been concerned. The filter works and turns the FT2000 into what it should have been. Great work Jeff et al. Take a bow, you've earned it and rightly deserve it.

N0IBD Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2011 11:17 Send this review to a friend
It Works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the AC0C filter installed for one month now in a FT-950. Mine was serial number 200. I had it installed by a local technician I trust. I have conducted extensive on-air real world tests and I can report that the filter works as advertized! The supplied individual filter plot showed my filters center frequency to be 160 Hrz. high. Amazing precision at 60.45 Mhz!
Now,is this filter Magic? Will it make all QRM disappear? NO! But when working SSB, an S5 signal,and you have an S9+ signal banging away just 3Khz above you, and you have a comfortable copy, that's good in my book. It's a vast improvement over the stock filter. N0IBD