Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, etc.. | NS 3 KHz Roofing filters for FT-2000/FT-950 Help

Reviews Summary for NS 3 KHz Roofing filters for FT-2000/FT-950
NS 3 KHz Roofing filters for FT-2000/FT-950 Reviews: 39 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $USD $304.80
Description:
3 KHz Roofing filter modification for the FT-2000 & FT-950
THE NS FILTER MOD DELIVERS!
+20 db typical increase in IMDDR3
2.4-2.6 KHz -6db bandwidth (typical)
More info: http://www.ac0c.com/

You can write your own review of the NS 3 KHz Roofing filters for FT-2000/FT-950.

N0IBD Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2011 11:17 Send this review to a friend
It Works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the AC0C filter installed for one month now in a FT-950. Mine was serial number 200. I had it installed by a local technician I trust. I have conducted extensive on-air real world tests and I can report that the filter works as advertized! The supplied individual filter plot showed my filters center frequency to be 160 Hrz. high. Amazing precision at 60.45 Mhz!
Now,is this filter Magic? Will it make all QRM disappear? NO! But when working SSB, an S5 signal,and you have an S9+ signal banging away just 3Khz above you, and you have a comfortable copy, that's good in my book. It's a vast improvement over the stock filter. N0IBD

NX8L Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2011 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Filter  Time owned: months
Hi Jeff,

I got the NS filter from you at Dayton. Finally sent my FT-2K to Byron in Tenn., for the Filter to be installed. He did a superb job and turn around was only 6 days. Not bad considering I did it over July 4th. He made suggestions how to ship and how to pack, as I had tossed my boxes never thinking I would mail the rig anywhere. He also gave suggestions how to get payment to him. My experience with Byron was excellent!

Radio plays so much better. Everything you said about the filter proved true.

Since then I purchased the DMU for this rig and now I not only hear the difference the NS Filter makes but I see it on the monitor.

Thanks for the help.

NX8L Gary
Near Cincinnati

WC3O Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2011 19:05 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I wanted to wait a while before posting a report. The new filter is a major improvement over the stock. I really don't have strong signal issues at my house due to very humble antennas. I wish I did! hihi The RX is improved and the IF shift actually does something. I did the install myself. It is not for the faint at heart. It wasn't too bad and Jeff's instructions are very good. For me the worst part was cutting the trace. This stuff is SOOOO small and my eyes are for crap anymore. It is very scary knowing you are cutting on a multi-layer board, but I did it and all works well. Again, keep the exposed leads short. All went well and I am very happy with it. Thank you Jeff for all your work (Fixing what Yaesu missed the boat on) and it was a real pleasure meeting up with you and your buddy at Dayton. Best 73 DE WC3O

W4UWC Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2011 14:36 Send this review to a friend
The NS filter is a great addition to a FT-2000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently I had the 3 KHZ NS roofing filter installed in my FT-2000. Now I am enjoying my 2000 like never before! The 3 KHZ vertical skirt filter was just what I was in need of and now those strong signals that often appeared broad now are no more than 3 KHZ on eack side. This is in the SSB mode. I don't think the 2K is now a 5K by any means but perhaps close. A down conversion radio is hard radio to beat. However I am very happy with my 2K now!

K0XY Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2011 08:51 Send this review to a friend
...the FT-950 and the NS Roofing Filter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
...just received my FT-950 with the NS/AC0C Roofing Filter installed from Midwest Technical Services / Tim Moes...another Great Job by Tim...

...the 950's CW performance is enhanced...the filter provides an extra increment of "smoothness" to the overall CW operation and noise floor...nicely done !

...so, if you want your 950 to become a "top shelf" CW radio than the NS filter is an option you will want to consider...I did and I am pleased...K0XY

AB3CX Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2011 20:57 Send this review to a friend
I Did It  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just wanted to register in as another installer of the NS Filter for the FT-2000. I spent 2 1/2 hours doing it, as I wired it in backwards and then needed to reverse my coax connections. Probably a little more study of the photos would have saved me that. Degree of difficulty is medium high, but doable, you will definitely want bright light, a magnifying lens on an arm. I look forward to putting it to use. One quick observation is that you will probably want to readjust your AGC settings after installing it. My radio now seems to sound alot better in CW mode with slower AGC settings. Using my panadaptor SDR-IQ to asses the noise levels, I can immediately see that there is a lower loss through the NS filter than the stock 6 kHz filter. I'm unable to independenly verify the lab findings on the improvements in FT 2000 IMD performance. What I can say is I have already determined that the rig sounds alot better on CW and that the urge to use contour is decreasing rapidly. DNR seems quicker to settle in as settings are changed. Also, activating the pre amp on a noisy band like 40M no longer creates an immediate urge to shut it off again (ie AMP 1 and AMP 2 settings seem fine to use now, as opposed to IPO). The noise blanker got no better. I've used my FT-2000 basically since it came out. If you have blown the FT-2000 off for faults up to now, you might want to take another look at it, or spend 4-5K for something possibly marginally better. I dont know where you get a rig this good for $2k ($1700 used plus +$300 for the filter).

N1FCJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2011 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Way better than the stock filter!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm pleased with the NS filter. I could hear no difference between the stock Yaesu 3KHz and 6KHz roofing filters. Now there is a significant difference when I switch to the NS filter. The sounds quality of the 3 KHz filter is similar to when I dial the IF width down to 2.8 KHz.

I tested for the 900KHz image problem others have experienced using a signal generator. I injected a signal offset by 900KHz and increased the level to S9 +30dB, then I cycled through the 3 filters. At 15KHz, I could hear the tone very loud but no meter reading. At 6 KHz, it was gone. At 3KHz, it was barely detectable. So in summary, the NS filter is not quite as good as the stock 6KHz filter at rejecting signals 900MHz away but way better than the stock 15KHz filter in my installation. Close in, it blows away the stock 3KHz filter though. I'm not sure why others have seen different results but I'm just reporting my observation. I have the uTune kit and when engaged, it completely wipes out the 900KHz signal at all filter settings.

I did keep unshielded leads very short (only about 1mm of exposed center conductor), which probably made my installation more difficult than some. As far as the install goes, it was not much fun. My close up vision isn't what it was when I was 20. I have to use a 10x eye loupe to inspect my work. At 10x, you must have your eye real close to the board and i could feel the heat of the soldering iron in my face. My lighted fluorescent magnifier was worthless for this job. A fine tipped soldering station is a must. I used 4 different tips for the install. I used the finest tips on my Hakko iron (0.2mm straight tip, 0.2mm 30 bent tip, a 1.2mm long chiseled tip & 3.2mm tip). The 3.2mm tip was used for soldering to the case. I'd also recommend getting a rosin flux pen for applying flux to the case. It makes soldering much easier. Also, be sure to clean all the flux off with alcohol when finished. I soldered the filter in two places to make sure it would stay put.

The hardest part of this install was removing the SMD resistor. It just would not come out. I had the iron cranked up to 850F. When it finally came off, it slid across the board leaving a trail of tiny solder. I cleaned the board with alcohol and then was about to use a fine dental pick to scrape between the traces until I looked at it under the loupe and realized it was about 4 times wider than the space between the traces. Second was the T40 connection. There is not much room to get the iron in to solder it. That's where the bent tip came in handy. The coax that came with my kit looked finer than what was in the photos. Being Teflon jacketed, it was hard to hold with needle nose pliers or tweezers. It was rather slippery. But it was heat resistant, which is important with a cable so small. Bottom line is I had to hold it with my fingers, which made positioning it difficult. Be sure when you solder the input cable to the board that you align the cable parallel to the board (e.g. flat against the board) as the filter mounts directly over in. If it is sticking up, you may break the connection or peel the etch off the board. There is not much supporting that cable as the is no can nearby to solder the shield to.

It took a long time to get the filter and the job wasn't something I'd want to repeat but the end result is very good. Jeff also got right back with me when i had technical questions.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2011 11:10 Send this review to a friend
Big RX improvement !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just in the couple weeks I've had the filter installed, I've noticed these improvements in the receiver using the NS filter:

#1 RX background noise much less.
#2 With less noise, the Contour control seems more effective.
#3 With less noise, the DSP noise reduction is more effective.
#4 Less QRM from nearby strong stations.
#5 With less noise, using the RX for longer periods of time leaves you less tired.
#6 Weak stations seem to pop out of the noise much more than before.

The installation took between an 1:45 and 2 hours. It wasn't that difficult. Be sure to use VHF practices when installing the filter cables and you can't go wrong!

If I could give this filter a higher rating than 5/5, I surely would. This is a MUST DO modification for the FT-2000 or FT-2000D.

G4IDR Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2011 10:48 Send this review to a friend
excellent modification to F2000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Modified Rx with NS filter transforms a good rig into excellent. Significant benefit on CW as well as SSB. Worked great in ARRL contest. Width control also works better after mod. I am 2km from 200KW MW BC TX and no worse breakthrough issues after NS filter fitted than before...... keep those leads short. A wiring issue was quickly resolved by Jeff so fb e-mail support as well.

JG1RVN Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2011 02:22 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding cost value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried the ARRL contest last weekend, using NS-filter.
My FT-2000D+NS-filter worked very well.
Quiet receiver background noise
Excellent IMD characteristics
I enjoyed ARRL international contest very much.

If the sensitivity is too high or too low,
after install NS filter, please try IF gain adjustment commands, at your own risk.
IF reciver gain can be varied for each ham band.
Thease are service manual PDF and adjustment commands textfile.
Don't forget push menu button for 2sec, when you finished adjustment.
And you should write down original parameter before you try adjustment.

I hope you enjoy DX with FT-2000D+NS-filter.
Thank you.