Reviews Categories | Emergency/Portable Power: generators, solar, wind, thermal, etc | Alton AT04143PM Help

Reviews Summary for Alton AT04143PM
Alton AT04143PM Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$599.99
Description: 1,850 Watt 79.5cc 4-Stroke Portable Enclosed Generator with Wheel Kit
More info: http://www.amazon.com/Alton-AT04143PM-4-Stroke-Portable-Generator/dp/B002GHBYWI

You can write your own review of the Alton AT04143PM.

N0TAN Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2010 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Good generator but bigger and heavier than I thought  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I read the reviews on Amazon I was a bit concerned, but for the price I gave it a shot. I need a small, quiet generator that I can run my radios with when I am away from a reliable power source. The Alton seems to fit the bill, so I bought it.

When I received it I was a bit surprised about how big it is. I has been compared to the Honda generator, and it looks like a green, 5-gallon gas can, so I was expecting it to be about that size. It's about twice the size of a 5-gallon gas can. It is just almost too big to have that handle on the top, but you can carry it by the handle as long as you use two hands. I would call it "Luggable", but you can't expect to pick it up with one hand and walk normally, like you can with the little Honda.

One nice feature that isn't in any of the marketing material, is that it has a pull-out handle like most luggage does now. On the bottom it has two wheels on one end (opposite the handle end) and two feet on the other end. It's stable when sitting, but can be tipped and rolled behind you with ease, as long as you are rolling on a smooth surface.

Another nice feature is that it has a four-stroke engine, which means no fuel-oil mixing like some of the cheapey Chinese small generators. It is shipped without oil in the crankcase, but they are tested at the factory, which means that they have had oil in them at one time so they aren't completely dry. You need to put oil in it before you start it. That's normal on all generators, unless you buy one from a full-service retail outlet that has done that for you already. Whenever you buy one in a box, you always have to add oil first.

After cleaning the oily residue off of the plastic case, and filling it with oil and fuel, it started on the third pull. The choke lever doesn't follow the little picture that shows you how it works, so you have to figure that out on your own, but it does work.

It does run well, doesn't leak fuel, and is pretty quiet. Not Honda qiet, but pretty quiet nonetheless. If you can get it twenty to thirty feet away and point the exhaust away from you, then it's just a dull droning in the distance. Certainly not loud enough to interfere with radio operations.

I haven't yet connected an oscilloscope to it to see what the waveform looks like, but my power supplies just hum along fine on it. I don't use the DC output to power my equipment. I power everything on the 110V AC output, which seems to work fine. I also use a UPS between my generator and my power supplies, and it seems happy with the generator too.

So, aside from it being bigger than I expected, it is a fine generator to run Ham Radio equipment on all day long, but knowing what I know now, I'd probably spend the extra $20 and get the Generac 5791 iX800 800 Watt 38cc 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator. In fact I am considering selling this one for $199 and getting the Generac. An 800 Watt peak generator is plenty for a radio.

N0TAN Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2010 18:47 Send this review to a friend
For the price, it seems great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a generator that looks promising. It runs 1850 Watts and is 4-stroke rather than 2-stroke. I am dubious, but found it for $240. I have ordered it and will let you know what I think of it when it arrives. I am temporarily giving it a 5 due the price and specs. If it lives up to the specs, then it will easily be a 5.