Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TR-9000 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TR-9000
Kenwood TR-9000 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2m all mode mobile
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/kenwood/tr9000/tr9000.htm

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TR-9000.

SMHAM Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2004 00:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent oldie!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this rig since late 1980 when I bought it new.

I have worked more than 300 locator squares all over Europe with 10W from TR9000 and an 18 el yagi up about 40ft. I have never used a power amplifier on 144 MHz.

I have only had one problem with my TR9000. That was the final amplifier module which needed replacement. However, it was shortly after I bought it and the rig has worked flawlesly since then during thousands of QSO:s. I guess the module was defective from the beginning.

I have brought my TR9000 along to assist with communication during competitions of different kinds for more than two decades. It has worked flawlessly all the time.

I have used it for DX cluster traffic during the last years and it still performs flawlessly for DX cluster monitoring.

A truly outstanding rig in every respect with a great receiver for its time.

There are more sensitive rigs out there nowadays with better data but you can hardly find a more trustworthy fellow.

The only thing I dislike is the scanning in FM mode which only works in "stay as long as there is a carrier" mode. However, CPU power was limited back in the 80īs... It can be modified though.

It does 12.5 KHz channel spacing too which was way ahead of time, at least here in Europe. The Murata filter can be changed so that it performs better with 12.5KHz channel spacing.

KA9VAA Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2003 22:16 Send this review to a friend
Fine old radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a tr-9000 for 8 years, installed in my logging truck. It has never failed me once,going over some of the worst roads in the world in temps from -35 to 95f. I use a 100 watt amplifier with it and have shook 3 of them to death. If you have a need for a radio in extreme conditions the tr 9000 is the one I would recomend. It does not come with a tone board but it is a simple matter to add one for repeater access.

ZS6DPR Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2002 16:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Old timer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this 2m all mode radio from a local Kenwood dealer here in South Africa way back in 1982. It has been operating without any problems for the past 20 years!

I love this 2 meter all mode rig. I am going to add another vhf/uhf rig to my 'collection' shortly. Thinking of FT90R (Yaesu) or other Kenwood/Yaesu rig)

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2002 17:47 Send this review to a friend
Still quite the little performer 20 years later  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A month or so ago I picked up a TR-9000 as an inexpensive 2m SSB/CW solution after being disappointed with an old TS-700A. It physically matches my Kenwood TS-660 in color and in shape if the BO-9 base unit is added, and uses many of the same accessories, so I thought, if nothing else, I'd have a pretty station. I expected the radio to be just about acceptable, but it certainly has surpassed my expectations.

The receiver is quite sensitive, and yet, in the recent VHF contest, with a number of powerful local operators on the band, it held it's own extremely well. The radio is big for a mobile by today's standards, but as a small base rig it's well sized, with distinct buttons and controls.

My venerable KDK FM-2025 Mark II started giving me grief so I "temporarily" mounted the TR-9000 in my Escape. I received numerous complimentary audio reports on the local repeater. I used the rig to check into the local 2m SSB net mobile and found the noise blanker took care of any ignition noise just brilliantly. I drive a Ford Escape which is notorious for being noisy. No problem for a TR-9000. Despite the 20db polarization loss I could hear a number of stations which I would not have expected to hear without some sort of enhanced propogation (which wasn't the case at the time), which again validated my observation that the rig has one hot receiver.

As a mobile rig on FM the rig does have a few shortcomings, as in only five memories and no allowance for PL. However, I did find online instructions from ComSpec on how to add one of their boards, so the latter shouldn't be a major issue.

On the base it will not retain it's memory info unless you plug in a BC-1 or TK-1 wall wart, which is hard to find nowadays. Make your own? The funky triangular plug (same as the power cord on an Icom IC-505 or IC-502A) is about impossible to find, although I'm told some older modems used it. Fortunately, I have two of the backup supplies.

For someone who is serious about 2m SSB/CW and can deal with a largish rig, the TR-9000 makes a good mobile. For $150-$225 you can get a nice one, which makes it a good economy 2m all mode for the base as well. I've liked it well enough to decide to leave the one in the car where it is and to buy another (a whole $150) for the base. The flaws are minor and the performance is major.

KB9VQC Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2002 21:38 Send this review to a friend
a grate radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I payed $150.00 for the radio and it is worth ever penny.The moible mount is the bestever. the noise blanker is excellent but i think all kenwood radio are very good .the recever is as good as my ts2000.My Yaesu ft100 noise blanker is poor at best so i put theTr9000 in the car.

N4OZI Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2002 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up this rig at a local hamfest for just $90 and have taken it to a repeater site up about 5,500 feet elevation. Using a 5 element beam on SSB, I was getting great reports on both signal and audio. I know the elevation was the main reason for the signal reports but the people I worked also said the audio was very good. I was able to work everyone I heard with no problem. This was all done on a non-contest weekend too.

KQ6EH Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2002 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio For SSB  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased my FT-9000 from a local neighbor who was a CB'r and in need of money. I picked it up for just $75.00. I put the receiver up against my IC-910H and FT-221R with only my human ear as the judge. I could not tell a difference. I am very pleased with the receivers sensitivity. It's a fun little 2m allmode which I've had plenty of fun with. Although with it's 10-12 watts out, I use it with a 35 watt amplifier.

VK4JAM Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2001 01:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for 2 M FM / SSB / Packet  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great radio which I would recommend to anyone looking for a second hand 2 m SSB / FM radio. I bought mine new back in 1980 (for Aust $560) and have had 21 years of faultless performance - which is remarkable as it has spent many years in a 4x4 getting some rough treatment. I have used it to work various OSCAR / RS satellites & MIR and found it great for satellite work. While the manual does not say it's OK 1200 baud packed - I have found that it does work fine using the AUX input on the back of the radio. I also use the radio on 6m via a transverter - it also performs great here.
What rating can I give a versatile radio for 20+ years for reliable performance ?

5/5