Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG-UV3D Help

Reviews Summary for Wouxun KG-UV3D
Wouxun KG-UV3D Reviews: 68 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $119.99
Description: 2M/70CM FM Dual Band HT
More info: http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-radios/wouxun-kg-uv3d-dual-band-2m-uhf-handheld-commercial-radio.html

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UV3D.

KG7AV Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2014 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Current Count of Four  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought one new back in early 2013 (review is somewhere in here). Yes, the Chinglish manual is a laugh and the programming software highly recommended. After using it in the field for races, events, and ARES, and picking up the requisite accessories - external mic, AA battery pack, 12v car adapter, antenna adapters, a couple of antennas - was so impressed with it that I bought another one used (review also below). Continue to be impressed with the value and ruggedness of this model, and just bought another pair used. You never know when you'll need to deploy your own tac-net, right? Or more realistically, when my nephew and son pick up their tech tickets, I can provide them with their first HTs. More rugged and better quality than a Baofeng, and at the price point, if I were to lose or smash one on a rock, I wouldn't be as upset as if it happened to a name-brand costing a hundred or so more.

KB2SEO Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2014 09:57 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT RIG EXCELLENT VALUE- ONE TOUGH LITTLE RIG!   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I waited nearly a whole year before writing this review. Got mine a while back for a present from the family(2-440) while working as a field services engineer, Since I was traveling quite a bit, I made up "banks" of programming in and around the areas I would be in. Its a real pleasure to click on the Michigan file and all the frequencies are uploaded to the rig. with 128 memories, Its a tough job to fill it all the way up. For fun, I love to set the menu to the Chinese voice prompt and turn the vfo to see the stupid looks when people hear the Chinese voices. I replaced the standard antenna with a MFJ 1717s. I can bring up just about every thing I can hear! The Dual RX is great,I can set the Weather station on the sub- band, and hear the repeater fine. which is a big deal while out in the middle of Carter's lake or up on the Jersey Shore. I would not mind Wouxun putting a RX balance for the Dual RX so the active bank is a bit louder than the secondary one, but for 99 bucks, who is to complain? One caveat- IF you can get a FTDI chip set programming cable, its a bit more money but will save many headaches trying to get it on Windows 7. If you DO get the PL-2303(prolific), be sure its not the Chinese counterfeit one! OR, if you do take the chance on the knock off- be sure to use the driver for the cable that comes with the cable. Prolific changed their driver that downloads to 'Windblows' and it won't work on the computer!. You have to delete or rollback the driver. If you are a LINUX fan, this does not matter! it is a simple matter of plugging it in and select the right port. CHiRP, and KG-UV Commander have been my go to programming software, but the WOUXUN program does a decent job too. I learned all the programming from the keyboard using Powerwerx "Quick guide" in less than an hour! the little flashlight is a good accessory, for a diode, its very bright, been a Godsend when i forget my flashlight while fishing at night. the FM broadcast frequencies come in loud and clear with surprisingly nice audio response. NO- its not a Stereo, but to hear the news, or just listening while on the boat, it is a great addition! the VOX is perfect for people who Job or walk as well as hanging out on the easy chair with a microphone. Bottom line? for 100 bucks, YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH THIS RIG, Its tough, functional and reliable in a way only "Yah-zoo" could DREAM OF!

AC7CW Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2014 16:12 Send this review to a friend
I like it a lot!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In operation I like the radio and never have any problems with it.

Programming via the keypad is a bit of a challenge. The terminology has to be understood and a few of the settings are contextual to other settings. I put in the time to "get it" and eventually became comfortable with the radio. There is a very thorough youtube video on the subject: : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3qEa4WYhbc

KV4BL Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2014 16:25 Send this review to a friend
More Favorable Update On Prior Review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My previous review of the KG-UV3D was rather scathing in nature. After fiddling with it for about a day, I resisted the temptation to wall mount it and sent it back where I purchased it. HRO Atlanta's people were great, and very understanding of my situation.

No matter what, I could not find a video or other source that "clicked" for me with regard to the programming logic for this radio. I confess that I was intrigued with the audio quality for its FM radio feature, which was the closest I got to getting a working frequency into it. As little as it has to do with performance, I also liked the bright green receive light which lets you know there is traffic on the channel you are monitoring, if the radio is on a table in another room. It's color is reminiscent of the green lights on older Motorola base and mobile radios circa 1960's-1970's as opposed to the olive drab lights found on a lot of Icom and Yaesu radios. I wish Icom and Yaesu would adopt this wavelength of green for their receive lights.

As time passed and I talked with people, I decided to give the Wouxun another chance and I ordered another one. In trying to get it programmed, the instructions that finally "clicked" for me was a PDF file on QSL dot net. Google "programming Wouxun KG-UV3D" and look for the PDF file with a QSL dot net URL. I highly recommend that set of instructions as opposed to the lousy Chinglish manuals. The radio is probably deserving of a 5 but gets a 4 because of the manual and related programming issues.

Transmit and receive into local repeaters (including UHF) are excellent. The stock antenna has got to be one of the better ones, if not the best, that I have ever run across in terms of its performance. One quirk I have noticed (not necessarily bad, just a quirk) with my particular unit is that the battery will run practically forever at 3 bars which is the highest battery level on its scale. When it drops to two bars, your battery will die not terribly long thereafter, depending on the amount of use and drain you place on it. Overall battery life is excellent.

The light weight of this radio compared to an FT-60, its abundant receive audio, and battery life easily make it a preferred radio when going out the door for a walk or other activity.

If only Wouxun would adopt the manual on the QSL dot net site, they would probably realize much greater success with this model.

KC9WII Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2014 18:55 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I was buying this radio the dealer insisted on the programming cable I refused and programmed it myself. I don't think the manual is all that difficult to understand, yes it took me some time to learn how to program it but My HT works flawlessly I suggest if your not handy in manual programming don't buy this radio I have a Frieind who is having some issues with his Ht's with memory deleting when powered off and on I think the software is messing with these rigs.Audio reports are really good! and range is very good.
There are a few little things like the back light only goes on when touching keys and stays on very short time. I think everybody should learn how to manually program any radio first.The Wouxun kg-uv3d takes patience to learn how to program but just keep playing around with it you can't break it! and then you will realize it's very simple.

KE7JFA Rating: 0/5 Dec 11, 2013 13:13 Send this review to a friend
SUCKS  Time owned: more than 12 months
Menu system sucks. Bassackwards. Instructions are horrible. Mentions nothing about VFO. Better hope you are not in an emergency situation because programming manually is a joke. Horrible radio. Don't buy. Chinese JUNK.

WB6TNB Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2013 11:57 Send this review to a friend
A really fun radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently picked up an barely used 2 meter/440 version for a song from a friend who kept it as a spare. It's no Kenwood TH-F6A (I have one) but it isn't trying to be one.

My friend is blind and learned to program it from the keyboard because the software isn't compatible with his computer's screen reader. He taught me how and it isn't difficult. Some people say the software and cable are an absolute must. They aren't.

It's got some ergonomic quirks but they aren't serious. The keyboard is a lot easier to use than the one in the Kenwood.

The fit and finish are fine and the accessories are dirt cheap. My Kenwood SMC-34 speaker mic, which is designed for the TH-F6A, works great on it. People who know what I sound like in person say the transmit audio is excellent with both the built in mic and speaker mic.

I'm using a Diamond RH77CA antenna, which hears better and gets out better on both bands than the stock duck.

The receiver runs circles around the Kenwood but it's DC to daylight so there have to be compromises.

I'd be extremely happy even if I'd paid full price. Highly recommended.

NM3P Rating: 3/5 Nov 6, 2013 17:30 Send this review to a friend
OK, needs help  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Experienced the NO AUDIO after removing the programming cable issue right off the bat. Seems this issue is more related to the connector than anything else. Reinserting the programming cable partially and twisting slightly resolved the issue. At least this time. Experienced it several times, each time I was able to get it to work by "playing" with the cable partially inserted.

Other than that, it is kind of kludgy in that you move the channel selector 8 or 9 clicks, and the channel only changes one or two memories. Hmmm.

Of all the dual band HTs out there, this is one of them.

Better than average audio output. The FM radio is a great addition as is the flashlight.

I'd probably buy another one if I had a need. It's still a pretty good value. But it could use a little more quality control during the manufacturing process.

N4KC Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2013 07:54 Send this review to a friend
A thousand miles...at least  Time owned: more than 12 months
This little guy has been well over a thousand miles with me on my exercise walks around the neighborhood every other morning...through heat, cold, rain...and it just keeps working. I typically monitor the various repeaters while simultaneously listening to FM broadcast. My Yaesu VX-5 is easily overloaded by FM so is useless for that function. BTW, invest in a quarter-wave whip to replace the rubber-ducky dummy load that comes on the radio. I routinely chat through repeaters 15 to 20 miles away.

Yes, it has its quirks. The manual is obtuse and poorly translated. Programming is quirky (like most HTs, by the way) but the software makes it a snap once you catch on. And sometimes it has a mind of its own. I've had my favorite FM broadcast stations programmed in the whole couple of years I've had the HT and all has been well. But last week, memory 1 suddenly was the sports-talk station, no longer NPR. Memory 2 was still the sports-talk outlet, so now it's on both memory channels. Is this a political commentary on behalf of my radio, denouncing NPR? Or is it just reminding me it is college football season and I should be listening to sports-talk?

That means I have to figure out how to program the FM broadcast memories again and that is not available in the software that I can find. Time to translate the manual again!

But have I gotten my $100 worth of good out of this radio? Many times over!

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com

KC8RTU Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2013 14:30 Send this review to a friend
I would buy another  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very easy to program if a person reads manual.Nice for deer hunting .Have own vx5 f6a price is excellent! Plug and play.