Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG-UV3D Help

Reviews Summary for Wouxun KG-UV3D
Wouxun KG-UV3D Reviews: 70 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $119.99
Description: 2M/70CM FM Dual Band HT
More info: http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-radios/wouxun-kg-uv3d-dual-band-2m-uhf-handheld-commercial-radio.html

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UV3D.

N4KC Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2013 07:54 Send this review to a friend
A thousand miles...at least  Time owned: more than 12 months
This little guy has been well over a thousand miles with me on my exercise walks around the neighborhood every other morning...through heat, cold, rain...and it just keeps working. I typically monitor the various repeaters while simultaneously listening to FM broadcast. My Yaesu VX-5 is easily overloaded by FM so is useless for that function. BTW, invest in a quarter-wave whip to replace the rubber-ducky dummy load that comes on the radio. I routinely chat through repeaters 15 to 20 miles away.

Yes, it has its quirks. The manual is obtuse and poorly translated. Programming is quirky (like most HTs, by the way) but the software makes it a snap once you catch on. And sometimes it has a mind of its own. I've had my favorite FM broadcast stations programmed in the whole couple of years I've had the HT and all has been well. But last week, memory 1 suddenly was the sports-talk station, no longer NPR. Memory 2 was still the sports-talk outlet, so now it's on both memory channels. Is this a political commentary on behalf of my radio, denouncing NPR? Or is it just reminding me it is college football season and I should be listening to sports-talk?

That means I have to figure out how to program the FM broadcast memories again and that is not available in the software that I can find. Time to translate the manual again!

But have I gotten my $100 worth of good out of this radio? Many times over!

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com

KC8RTU Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2013 14:30 Send this review to a friend
I would buy another  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very easy to program if a person reads manual.Nice for deer hunting .Have own vx5 f6a price is excellent! Plug and play.

N6DSR Rating: 4/5 Jan 23, 2013 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Nice little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After playing with this radio, it is a nice unit for the money.
I've used it both as a handheld and mobile.
It does, IMO, alright for a little radio.
The only objection I have is this radio has a reverse SMA connector. The rest of the radio line has the regular SMA connectors.
I d like Wouxun to come out with a tri-band VHF/UHF 6 mtr.
Other than that glitch, I m happy with it.

KE5NYS Rating: 4/5 Dec 28, 2012 11:28 Send this review to a friend
A Honey for the Money...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A Honey for the Money! I got mine from AES in Ohio. The fact they were stocking it spoke well for the product, plus Wouxun (whoa-sheng) has factory ISO certifications, indicating good quality. Unfortunately the supplied factory documentation was in "Chinglish" and beyond my senior citizen Texas Turkey ability to grasp. Fortunately there are good internet ham and after market sites (just Google KG-UV3D) with much clearer instructions and user friendly programming software too. The FM broadcast band and utility LED light are nifty built-ins on this model, although I would have personally preferred the National Radio Service Weather band. Nevertheless, a lot of features here for modest money, including various useful accessory options, such as an AA battery pak, etc.

KB1VXF Rating: 4/5 Dec 13, 2012 05:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Buy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this hand held because of experience with it in the field. This is a great inexpensive alternative to the more expensive brands. It is very light because of the plastic case. It's actually durable as my 3 year old grabbed it off my desk and proceeded to run with it. He had the radio by the rubber duck antenna and dropped it while on the run. I picked it up and it works fine.

As far as features it is a dual receive. So if you are listening to a repeater and let's say a local PD, which ever frequency is busy is the one you will hear. I do wish the backlight would stay on longer or at least have the option to keep it on. Not a deal breaker but I wanted to throw it out there.

The flashlight on this radio comes in handy. I dropped my car keys and the little light lit up the ground. The speaker is loud and clear and should be more than enough to hear in noisy areas.

The receive on this radio is fantastic! One of the repeaters I listen and talk on is about 45 miles +/- from my home. It came in loud and clear on the receive end.

I was able to hear and talk on my clubs repeater which is 17 miles from my home! That is quite a stretch to ask a 5 watt handheld with a rubber duck antenna to accomplish. I was able to hit the repeater with no problem!

As far as programming the radio, I have done it with software from KG-UV Commander and by input from the radio itself. I feel you should know how to program the radio without the use of software/computers especially if your in the field. The instruction booklet it comes with is OK and there are quite a few resources online to help you if you get confused.

The only reason I gave a 4/5 is just due to the difficulty this radio presents on the programming side. It receives everything I have programmed from 2M/440 without a hitch. It is well worth the price and I would buy another. Not a bad little hand held for the dollar.

Jeff - KB1VXF

K4AMT Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2012 07:16 Send this review to a friend
Buy it!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This radio took some getting used to. As is commonly known the Instruction Book is terrible. However, there are a couple of hams who have re-translated the IB and explained the radio using terms with which hams are more familiar. For example, instead of using "VFO" mode, this radio uses "Frequency" mode. The IB is much easier to understand than the factory IB. You can search the internet for the better IB and download it as a Word or PDF file and it's free. I feel I should give the two creators of this better IB due credit: Larry VE7EA and Steve AB5SQ - much thanks to you both!

Once I became familiar with the radio using the updated/improved IB, the radio is very easy to use and I find I'm using it more than my other radios. I really enjoy the FM receive capability and use that frequently. The FM receiver is the secondary channel so if someone transmits on the main channel it will mute the FM radio. If you don't want to have your FM listening interrupted, just tune the main channel to a non-used simplex frequency.

One thing I really like about this radio is that it is a basic dual band radio. It doesn't have a lot of extra bells and whistles which can be confusing to use and understand. Understanding what this radio is (simple and cheap) and what it isn't (too feature-packed and expensive), I am happy with this radio and would recommend anyone wanting to buy a good HT to buy this one. My only complaint is that there is no way to adjust the time that the display light stays on. With the press of any button or turn of a knob, the display only lights up for about 3 seconds. You can't set it so it will stay on. I wish I could adjust that. But again, that's my only complaint.

The low cost of this radio and its accessories make this radio a good choice for beginners and experienced users alike. When you start to compare prices for replacement batteries, programming cables, chargers, etc. then you'll find you can get a good set up with this radio that is much cheaper than similar setups with other radios.

Lastly, I think one reviewer said he couldn't adjust the repeater offset. Unless I'm misunderstanding what he's saying, I think he's wrong and that you actually can adjust the offset. Wouxun refers to programming non-standard offsets as "dis-channel" settings.

I hope this helps.

Rick K4AMT

N6DSR Rating: 3/5 Oct 24, 2012 10:06 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The reason I gave it a middle of the road is I'v looked at both the download for this radio and neither one has a provision to configure either"+" or "-" for repeaters.
Anyone that could give me an idea of how to accomplish this, email me @ donsree@msn.com.
Otherwise, Im pleased with it.

AF2DX Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2012 18:19 Send this review to a friend
About Support  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I read this a bit down
NO AUDIO WITH THE MIC UNPLUGGED!!

No response from HRO. OR Powerworks...Sorry to say I may have to juryrig something to use the radio until I can get the speaker mic.

Not totally unhappy, Just disappointment !!

73 Ken
--------------------------------------------------
Ken,ypou have 10 days to return it to HRO.
Also I received excellent support from Power-Works.
Those of you who have the 220-2 meter HT,do not use the 2nd antenna with the higher numbers.
That is for HT's that will work that high in other Countries.Use the antenna with the lower frequency numbers for both 220 and 2 meters.
This came from powerworks and I had then on the phone for over a half hour and got all my questions answered.

KE0VH Rating: 2/5 Sep 16, 2012 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Will not receive 440 repeaters  Time owned: months
The last 2 of these I have seen will not receive repeaters on 440. Worked for 3 days trying to get them to hear the local repeaters. I have the software and 2 meters is fine. Works well. The KGUV-2D I have works great both bands. Any help would be appreciated at ke0vh@q.com

KJ6KK Rating: 4/5 Aug 10, 2012 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The UV3D seems to have a rugged build, parts fit together well. UV3D operates while in the charger base; you might want to use headset to do that.
I think the manual was not only difficult in places, but lacking in detail. Scanning is configured on the computer then downloaded to the UV3D. While operating, the only way to take a channel off-scan is to delete that channel!
The computer software running on my Win 7-64 took some tweaking of the comm port assignment before it worked. And on my machine, the programming cable needs to be plugged in before starting the software.

I purchased a $20 mag mount antenna for mobile use and UV3D communicates well within expectations for 5 (4) watt mobile transciever.

Overall, I purchased the UV3D as an entry level introduction to my local 2M 70cm. It has served me well.

K J 6 Y V Y