Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG-UV3D Help

Reviews Summary for Wouxun KG-UV3D
Wouxun KG-UV3D Reviews: 71 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $119.99
Description: 2M/70CM FM Dual Band HT
More info: http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-radios/wouxun-kg-uv3d-dual-band-2m-uhf-handheld-commercial-radio.html

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UV3D.

WF2S Rating: 4/5 Jul 1, 2012 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Functions OK   Time owned: more than 12 months
I wanted an inexpensive HT that I could use as a mobile rig. I am able to access local (20-30 mi) repeaters with a 5/8 on the trunk.. The cost was low enough that should it be misappropriated or stepped on by an elephant, I would be minimally inconvenienced. Luckily, I was able to program the unit with the free software and now many of our local club have identically programmed UV3Ds.
None of the dozen or so units have failed which is a better record than some of the BRAND NAME manufacturers' units.

It has more features than needed for simple 2M FM communications that may add to the confusion in set up.. Save a few $$ and try this out.

K6KAW Rating: 3/5 Jul 1, 2012 07:54 Send this review to a friend
Good radio, Only one problem :-(  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio based solely on the recommendation of the local SATURN group lead. Seemed like a good value. Bought it on line from HRO, Fast service, Ordered the whole pack that I thought I would need. Radio, Case < hard to unpack & use >, and the boom mic. Now that's where things go wrong!!

I Agree with the others the manual is poor! took me three days to learn the in's and out's of the radio. Once I got that done the reports were great! Outstanding maybe a good thing. NOT!! I plugged in the boom mic and the reports still held
it was when I unplugged the mic that my troubles began.

NO AUDIO WITH THE MIC UNPLUGGED!!

No response from HRO. OR Powerworks...Sorry to say I may have to juryrig something to use the radio until I can get the speaker mic.

Not totally unhappy, Just disappointment !!

73 Ken

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2012 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Great radio but...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
OK.. let's start with this... this is a fine HT with many pro-quality features at a very appealing price. I think most of us would agree that it is obtuse (at the most generous) to program manually. When I couldn't readily enter a new freq at Dayton 2012, it was ready to frisbee the radio, but after some thought, kept the little bugger. If you are largely fixed area location, without the need to program new freqs in the field, this is the radio for you. I consider it commercial quality, with high-grade accessories, available from our Powerwerx friends at an amazing price. KK8ZZ

WE8Q Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2012 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Have both models!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had the 144/440 model for several months and just recently got the 144/220 model. Both models have been great with no problems. The 144/220 model comes with two antennas. One for 136-174 MHz and 216-240 MHz operating ranges and one for 136-174 MHz and 240-280 MHz operating ranges for use in different parts of the world where frequency allocations differ. Programming by hand is not too difficult once you get used to it but using Jim Mitchell's free KG-UV Commander software makes programming a breeze (thanks Jim). These are rugged little HT's and come with desk charger and large capacity battery. The accessories are inexpensive and Kenwood accessories fit these radios just fine. For $120 you can't go wrong.

N7WY Rating: 4/5 Jun 10, 2012 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Interesting backlight  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Once I figured out that to program the radio manually, you use Menu 21 to change to FREQ mode, EXIT to the display mode, enter the receive frequency, then use Menu 16 to set the transmit CTCSS tone, Menu 23 to verify or set the repeater offset frequency, Menu 24 to set whether the transmit frequency is above or below the receive frequency, I had mastered using the radio (almost).

The tricky part about Menu 26 where you enter the channel name is that the up arrow key is all that works to change the character at the cursor position, and the down arrow key does nothing but move the cursor to the right.

The magic that is NOT covered by the Wouxon documents is that Menu 27 is used to select the channel where you want to write the set up. After you use the rotary switch next to the antenna to pick the channel by number, pressing MENU writes the current frequency, CTCSS tone, repeater offset and direction into that channel number. I think a better Menu name than MEM-CH would help.

Others give me good reports on the TX audio, and the RX audio can be cranked up to where you can hear it.

Forget the PowerWerx programming software, and after you've installed the Prolific serial driver for the programming cable from their site, visit KC8UNJ's website to get KG-UV Commander - it is a much nicer application. Leave Jim a few $$ to express your thanks.

I am using the radio with its rubber duck, and with a cable that converts the SMA connector to UHF with a 5/8 2m antenna trapped to work on 67 cm as well I have not seen problems with overloading or intermods (yet).

W4ZWA Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2012 07:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for the money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had the first version and did not like it however figured for the price I could try this model. So far I love it. I got the 2M/440 model to use on the local repeaters from the house and when I'm in the wifes car. I also use the 2M/440 for Sat use. I recently bought the 2M/220 model which should be here today.

K3BH Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2012 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Great rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After owning a 2D 2m/440 model, I sold it to buy a KG-UV3D 2m/220 version. This has become one of my most used handhelds because it works so well. Once I learned to program it manually, I've been popular among my friends for having that skill. The battery lasts a long time and is quick to charge in the drop-in charger. I'm very satisfied with this radio and may get another 2m/440 rig to go with this one. KC8UNJ's Commander software works easily and well and the price is right.

K6AER Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2012 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Nice Surprise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the UV3D Wouxun from HRO on a whim. The specifications look interesting but as always does the radio pass the sniff test. I call the sniff test the ability to use the radio without a PHD in C++ programming. It passed. The manual is fairly well written and was written by someone who is conversant in English. I found the radio very intuitive and in about five minutes had the demo unit at HRO talking through the local Denver UHF and VHF repeaters.

The main reason to buy this radio is the very low price. I found no operational reason for the radio not to go head to head with the Kenwood and Yaesu units. The radio comes with a 1.7 Amp Lithium battery, belt clip and drop in charger. I bought a spare 1.7AH battery pack and was out the door with tax for $144.00.

After the usual on-the-air audio checks, I went to the spectrum analyzer and checked output on both bands. VHF was about 5.2 watts and UHF was right at 4 watts into a 50 ohm load. Out put was very clean with not start up birdies. The receiver sensitivity is good. The squelch has to be programmed but it is easy to use. I left mine on the 4 setting.

The display is a pleasant light blue and the buttons are back lit which makes night operating easy to use. The VHF/UHF selection is via a A/B button by the speaker. Receive audio is good with plenty of volume for a older deaf guy.

The receiver is broad band so mountain top repeater operation will drive the receiver nuts. But is all fairness $800 FM transceivers have problems at repeater sites as well.

The battery pack slips off easily and the radio is contained in a completely sealed die cast chasses. The radio housing is plastic.

Right side has a port for speaker /Mic. The left side has the PTT on top, a smaller button under PTT for Squelch and the bottom button activates a LED light on the top side of the radio. Very useful.

Also there is a TDR button on the right front, which when activated, can make the radio a UHF or VHF band radio only.

In conclusion the radio is as advertised is well built and definitely a keeper.

N6WYY Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2012 13:52 Send this review to a friend
Great for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to give this radio a 5 considering its price & features. I have the 2/220 version.

I got my ham license back in the late 80's just about the time the FCC took away half of the 220 band. Radios back then were quite expensive. Thinking that the 220 band might be dead, I did not invested in any 220 radios back then.

I recently gotten back into this hobby after being away from it for over 10 years. My company has a private 220 repeater network, and this Wouxun is an inexpensive way for me to get into 220. The accessories are very reasonably priced also.

The next more expensive 220 HT that I can find is the Alinco DJ-V27T single band for about $50 more. Its accessories are quite a bit more expensive.

I think my Yaesu FD-50R is slightly better built, considered that I paid nearly 3 times more 15 years ago than the Wouxun, plus the high price accessories.

I picked the UV3D version because I was initially uncertain about their reliability, and it would be the easiest to obtain warranty service from Powerwerx since they're located here in So Cal.

I'm considering getting a couple more when my kids pass their Tech exam. I'll probably buy the UVD1P version from cheapham.com.

For additional accessories, I think I'll get them from one of the H.K. vendors like 409shop.com.

I'm using the KG-UV Commander software to program the radio. It is much friendlier than the software from Powerwerx. You can set the Commander to do auto offset.

Tony

N0AH Rating: 4/5 Mar 7, 2012 21:40 Send this review to a friend
Maybe program for USA sales?  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I get "read the manual". But you might want to program these rigs first for USA operating bands and like steps, etc.....marketing it in the USA. It is a kitchen sink out of the box. I have tried incorporating the enclosed software too but it suffers from beginning steps for easing into operations. It does have a lot of functions for the money-but still trying to figure it out- so it just sits on the shelf-