Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG-UV3D Help

Reviews Summary for Wouxun KG-UV3D
Wouxun KG-UV3D Reviews: 71 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $119.99
Description: 2M/70CM FM Dual Band HT
More info: http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-radios/wouxun-kg-uv3d-dual-band-2m-uhf-handheld-commercial-radio.html

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UV3D.

N4KTZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2012 17:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for the Price!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been licensed for 39 years. My first HT was a Wilson which had 6 channels and used crystals for the freq. control. It was about 1/2 size of a shoebox. I have had and still have Icoms, Yaesu & a variety of other HT's. I bought my Wouxun in Nov 2011 at a local Hamfest. I could not believe the price and figured I would give it a try. Wow, what a lot of radio for the money! Yes the programming is tough but what radio is not now a day. So get the programming cable(I did) and the free software makes programming a breeze! I get great signal reports and the reception is very good. The battery does not give much warning before it goes out(if using a lot while transmitting)however another great inexpensive accesory is the AA battery holder. What else can I say, yes I prefer all American, who doesnt but for the price and value for price you will not beat this radio. I wonder when China will built a HF radio? For now, I will wait for my Elecraft KX3, new HF portable American Made radio to come in!

K7NNG Rating: 0/5 Jan 27, 2012 09:57 Send this review to a friend
terrible  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought everything related to this rig.
a nightmare to program
you must carry the manual at all times
software would not download into two very hot rod
computers I own.
I am displeased 500%

K2GAV Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2012 10:47 Send this review to a friend
Can't beat this deal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As with nearly everything from China, you can't beat the price. I find the quality of this HT very good. I've owned it only about two weeks, but I'm impressed.

I agree with others about making sure the programming cable is plugged firmly into the jacks. It's difficult to tell it's partially inserted due the the fact the body of the connector is recessed into the case.

I wish you could use the two line display for both the frequency and your name for the repeater. It's nice to have two frequencies you can easily switch between (which is what the two lines indicate), but when I don't need that I'd like the single repeater to be displayed with its given name too.

Love the radio. Best $120 ham bucks I've ever spent.

AE7HY Rating: 4/5 Oct 23, 2011 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Buy the programming cable and also make sure it is pushed in all the way. "Fail Error" cable not inserted all the way into the radio. Good audio reports. Programming was easy with the free software. It is so inexpensive it did not even make a blip on my wife's spending RADAR.

K2PHD Rating: 4/5 Sep 29, 2011 05:16 Send this review to a friend
So Far So Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my KG-UV3D last evening UPS. I opened the box and everything was in good shape. I doenloaded the driver and programming software from the supplied documentation without problem. I quickly entered over 30 frequencies, offsets, and PL values and programmed the device using my computer. Unplugged the USB and began hitting repeaters allover the county area. Only problem I had was initially seating the programming cable on the transciever once that was done everything went terrific. I will be using and have an additional review after I have some on-the-air time under my belt.

KA3MEN Rating: 4/5 Sep 18, 2011 06:51 Send this review to a friend
Neat  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased two from Main Trading Company for $109 each.
Downloaded KC8UNJ, Jim Mitchel's KG-UV Commander.
The radios are a good value for the price.

KD8PFB Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2011 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm not going to slam the higher priced radios, because I think they are a pretty good value in a market that is not exactly all that big. I already owned a Quansheng w/o DTMF, so I was familiar with the Chinglish manual. Withing 4 hours I was up and running with all of my local repeaters programmed in using Commander. I took it fishing with me on Saturday and played with it most of the morning. I'm able to connect to the IRLP repeaters with no problems, and radio checks have returned reports if full quieting. I even have been hitting a repeater 30 miles to the East, something the Quansheng would not do.

I Ordered an extra 1700mah battery and an antenna adapter, in anticipation of getting my next radio so I can have two of them for my go bag.

KA3PCX Rating: 3/5 Aug 18, 2011 15:39 Send this review to a friend
Ok For Some Users  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No problems with the radio transmitting or receiving, but you will have to remove battery & buy the dc battery case charger. Not very user friendly, but at a very low price! Did not like the manual that come with the radio. It would be ok if you want a dual band ht at a low price.

So, it is up to the user if they want to purchase one! I would prefer yaseau, or kenwood, or icom produts over this model but you will pay more money about 100+ more with extras!

KF6HCD Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2011 19:10 Send this review to a friend
New "primary" HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this unit on 7-22-2011 (Happy Birthday to me-thanks, wifeypoo) for $119.99 from HRO (Anaheim) based on the many positive reviews on this and other sites.

I also bought the optional USB cable, but found it easy enough to program by hand after pushing buttons and twisting the encoder knob for a few hours. The cable and programming software make it quicker, though.

The transmit and receive audio are quite good.

Tough little radio. My 7 year old "Deck Checked" it from about three feet to a hardwood floor with no damage or marks left behind.

It fits perfectly in my average sized hand, and feels substantial without being too heavy. The flat base lets you set it down while the antenna remains vertical. The shape and contours of the case make it pleasing to look at. The volume and encoder knobs are solid and do not bind.

I like the action of the back-lit buttons; they're not "floaty," and a tactile "click" lets you know you've actuated them. The dot-matrix LCD gives a nicely colored glow without being too bright. The flashlight comes in handy.

I use the FM Broadcast receive quite frequently. While not "Great" for music, it works well enough for morning talk shows.

Battery life (1700 mAH) is more than adequate for my operating habits. Drop in charger is a bit lightweight, but functional.

The stock RD antenna is adequate for my needs. I am able to carry on simplex QSOs from inside my home at one watt to a friend 1 mile away on his. Local repeater work is fine business as well; I will be getting the SMA-RP/BNC adapter and an after-market whip anyway.

The belt clip seems flimsy, but it's the only place to put the hand strap.

The "not so greats" that others have noted are not severe enough for me to give a less than "Five" rating. All in all, well worth the price I paid.

Would I recommend this unit to a friend? Yes, and twice on Sunday. I might even buy a few more for myself.

I can't wait to get the mobile. :)

WA4NUN Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2011 19:05 Send this review to a friend
looks good so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Important message RE: software Factory or KC8UNJ

I will come back to ratings later but no one has put the word out about the software. Two different Win 7 Home Premium home brew PC's different hardware memory etc. No matter what software you plug in, you may get connection failure. In my case on two totally different hardware PC's running Win7, there was no restart PC message, which kinda sucked as there are few times with new gear I have to restart unless there is a specific message.

Simple restart without a prompt fixed comm issues with both the factory and the alternate, way better app available...i.e..Jim Mitchell, Kc8UNJ's KG-UV Commander, very easy, somewhere between 5-10 minutes to learn the interface without help, nice and very clean....