Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | ULTIMAX100 End Fed HF Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for ULTIMAX100 End Fed HF Antenna
Length - 24 feet
Weight - 3.5 pounds
Polarization Vertical, Horizontal, Sloped
Connector SO-239-50 ohm
SWR < 2.5:1 (3:1 tuner required all radio tuners work)
Bands from 3.0 MHz to 54 MHz (80 to 6 meters)
Radials - none required
More info: http://www.ultimax-antennas.com

You can write your own review of the ULTIMAX100 End Fed HF Antenna.

VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2014 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed my Ultimax100 and wow... I can't believe my ears. Super amazing end fed HF antenna. I have to say thank you Albert. You are a superb fine gentleman. I highly recommend the Ultimax100 to anyone wanting an easy to install antenna. The workmanship is just superb. Nicely done and I'm sure it will last for a long long time. Again, thanks Albert. I'm having lots of fun on HF.

AD4BF Rating: 4/5 Apr 25, 2014 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Needs tweaking  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using this antenna in a sloped configuration for 6 months. Over that time I experimented with direct grounding, counterpoise, etc.

I use a RigExpert AA-54. After many different configurations, I have discovered that three non resonant radials and a 53' longwire seem to do the trick. The AA-54 shows an average SWR of 1.6 - 2.0 without a tuner across 10 to 80 meters in the band segments normally associated with CW/digital. Tuning in the phone segment on 10m is a different issue as I have never been able to tune under 1.75:1 there.

The biggest issue I have is the tendency of the core to saturate during longer operating sessions.

A friend is running his end fed with a Balun Designs 5KW 9:1 (Model # 9135) using the same configuration, wire gauge, counterpoise, etc I use. There is no comparison. The Balun Designs 9:1 absolutely blows away the Ultimax matching unit. Lower SWR across the bands, no saturation, and the core stays stable. I have ordered a 9135 but will keep the Ultimax unit as a back up.

The Ultimax is a good antenna for what it is. Comparing it to the Balun Designs unit is like comparing a BMW to a Ford. For those of us with restricted real estate, my advice would be to get your hands on a Balun Designs 9:1. It is significantly more expensive but it just plain WORKS. Keep your Ultimax for your back up, bug out bag, Field Day, etc

W5AAF Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2014 16:22 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding when lengtened  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the original 25 foot antenna, Called this company and explained my problem. They mentioned it would preform at 75 meters in the 68 foot long.

I live in an apartment and hung it from my patio to a 45 foot high tree and it work excellent on all bands with an average SWR o5 1.3.1
Flat across all bands with my internal antenna tuner.

KC7PPF Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2014 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Great DX antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this antenna because of a limited space. We bought a motor home and with the aid if a Jackite telescoping pole,on the back, I now have my station working in our motor home. My first contact was two contacts in Finland. I have made contacts in Spain, England and most stateside locales. I check in daily on the net in Hawaii. And Alaska is no problem. I use a FT-857D at 100 wts. This is a great antenna and I can not sing higher praises for Albert, the designer and builder, the customer service is A++. I gave it a 5 because I couldn't give a higher rating.... it deserves a 10.

KC7JNJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2013 22:32 Send this review to a friend
I am liking it   Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these for a while but had not used it. reading these reviews I decided I would give it a go and put it up.. But I wanted the counterpose connector for it. Albert the maker said he would install the connector for free if I sent the unit down to him. When my unit got there it sounded like a box of rocks. Shipping was not kind to it. Albert rebuilt it with all new components and shipped it back for free. The day I put it up I worked Japan on 15meters with 50 watts. I am enjoying radio again. The antenna is very stealth and fits my location. I ran it from the rear peak of my house to a big tree in the front yard. I hooked the counterpose to my metal roof. I am making contacts, listening to shortwave and having fun.

KA3YAN Rating: 4/5 Apr 8, 2013 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Great for 100w confined space!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the ULTIMAX 100 now for about a year. This was my first commercially purchased HF antenna. I initially used it as an apartment antenna for MARS and Ham HF and it worked great. It handles 100 watts without any issues at all. I did work with the manufacturer (Albert, N3YV) to come up with a more ideal solution concerning radiator length. For me, running the radiator as an inverted V over a tree branch, the suggested 49ft length worked perfectly. Albert suggested that 66ft is the maximum length, but I had mixed results with that length.

I would've given the antenna a rating of 5 except that at transmitting power above 100 watts, the matching network easily becomes saturated and fails to perform. At 500 watts PEP, the network collapses within 15 seconds of beginning my SSB transmission giving me an indefinite SWR until I unkey for a second or two.

I did add a lug to the matching unit to add a couple of ground radials. While that didn't help the saturation problem, it does seem to improve my signal strength a bit. I am running two elevated radials along a wooden fence. I'm actually using the two unused radiators (24ft original and 66ft that I made and decided not to use).

If you are dealing with extremely confined space and only plan on transmitting 100 watts or less, I would highly recommend this antenna.

KC2CEP Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2013 20:49 Send this review to a friend
Great End Fed Antenna   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought a Ultimax 100 End fed and put it up as a sloper at about 30 feet from my tower to a tree. Well, it exceeded my expectations and performs great. No problem making contacts with this wire end fed and works almost as good as my vertical. Great addition to my antenna farm. It tunes from 10 to 40 no problem. Hey, its not a beam but if you have space limitations, its a great choice.
Joey N2CEP

K8LEN Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2013 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna for the buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my antenna for 2 years now.
It works great for me, the end is up 25 feet and the wire is set up as a sloper..bands worked 10-40 and no problems at all.I think it is to short for 80 because of the length so did not try on that band.
NO DX but not after it. I work from California to the East Coast and North to South with no problems. Good buy for the money.
By the way I run 50 watts ssb or cw.

N7DMA Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2013 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in a small, one bedroom second floor condo, with (illegal!) access to the attic space. My previous HF antenna was a ladder-line fed doublet, 12 feet per leg. I had poor results on any band lower than 20 meters, but OK performance above. No external antennas allowed here. I'm on the board of directors for my HOA, and I can honestly say that there is no compromise on the CCR's as far as this situation is concerned.

I decided to give the Ultimax 100 antenna a try, and I'm not dissappointed. It's allowed me to get back on 40 meters, a band that I've really missed!

Hey, it ain't a beam, or a full sized dipole, but it does work rather well! At least it's allowed me to get back on 40 CW, and it works well from there on up. No comments on 80 mtrs, as I think it's too short to be effective on that band, but it does hear rather well down there! I'll have to give it a try this winter.

It's the best I can do, in my situation. Bash it if you want, but for me, it works well.

And, no, I'm not in any position to move into the country, where I can put up anything I like. For this city dweller, it works FB. Great SWL antenna, too!

Thanks Albert for a great, ruggedly built product. I expect it to outlive me, and the next owner of this place (when they take me out feet first!) will probably be wondering what it was for!

A great product!

Karl
N7DMA
Tucson, AZ

KD4HGR Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2013 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK I have had this for some time now and this is my second review on this antenna.
First let me say STOP trying to compare this to a full size dipole and calling it crap..For HOA and condo dwellers like me this antenna works. Now its not going to out preform a beam or full size vertical or dipole so dont even try to compare to one..If you have limited space or antenna restrictions like me then this antenna will get you on the air!