Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | ULTIMAX100 End Fed HF Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for ULTIMAX100 End Fed HF Antenna
Length - 24 feet
Weight - 3.5 pounds
Polarization Vertical, Horizontal, Sloped
Connector SO-239-50 ohm
SWR < 2.5:1 (3:1 tuner required all radio tuners work)
Bands from 3.0 MHz to 54 MHz (80 to 6 meters)
Radials - none required
More info: http://www.ultimax-antennas.com

You can write your own review of the ULTIMAX100 End Fed HF Antenna.

KG4UHV Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2015 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is the best of the best. I contacted Bosnia,virgin islands, Sudan,lithuanua,Madeira islands and Curacao with excellent signal reports. The customer service is A+.if you are looking for a good antenna get an Ultimaxx antenna. Thank you Albert. 73.

K7SQD Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2015 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Works just as advertised!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned one of these antennas for almost a year now and it does exactly what it is advertised to do!
Running QRP (Phone), I've made QSO's with Guam, Brazil, Argentina, Eastern Canada, Alaska and the Eastern U.S. - and other points within the lower 48 (I'm in the Pacific Northwest).
Works great! Just remember, this is not going to compete with a directional beam on a tower @ 150'.
I have it mounted at about 45degrees into a tree from a 4X4 fence post on my backyard fence about 6' off the ground.
Shipped quickly and arrived well packaged.
Can't beat the price or quality!

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2014 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Pleasant surprise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this to replace another 10-40 end fed antenna from a popular competitor but wanted to try this one. I wasn't expecting it to be any better than the one I had but thought I would give it a try anyway. When it arrived the first thing I noticed is that this one is MUCH more substantial, heavy duty or whatever you want to call it. Made the other one look like a toy by comparison. But the proof is in the pudding as they say. First of all you have to get a picture of what my installation is like. I live in an apartment in NYC but do have a small garden level patio courtyard out the back door. The problem is that it's surrounded by big apartment buildings. not very conducive to getting a signal out. So, I set up the feedpoint at about 25 feet on one end of my fire escape and ran the wire element about 23 feet to the other side of the fire escape at about the same height. Then I had to make a 90 degree bend in the wire and bring it across the courtyard and terminate it an 20 feet on top of a fiberglass tube. Total length of the element is 33 feet. Fired up the rig and the first two CW contacts were to Denmark and European Russia. needless to say I'm pleased with the quality of the product and the communication with Albert.

K6SNP Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2014 23:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the Ultimax 100 because I live in a condo that doesn't allow antenna's. It's a tri-level condo with no units above or below ours. The roof is flat, and about 30' high. I installed the antenna between two 10" vent pipes, putting the antenna only 8" above the roof. The antenna is below 3:1 on all bands and tunes flawlessly with the inboard tuner on my Yaesu FTDX 3000D. I have made contacts in over 30 states, many on east coast. Seven countries, including two DX-peditions. Many contacts with Hawaii and Japan. Every station that I could hear, answered my call, sometimes after repeated tries, but always got thru. I think it works great for what it is, and has given me a lot of fun on HF again.

WB4EJZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2014 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Super Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the Ultimax 100 from Albert and received it in just 4 days. I unpacked it late one evening, connected it and was promptly getting 10db over S9 into the western US and like reports from Europe. This skyhook breathed new life into my radio. And get this...the antenna was temporarily configured 3 feet off the ground, supported by branches of my backyard maple tree.
My rig's internal tuner readily tunes 40 through 10m. The 80m band, as Albert agreed, would benefit from another 20 or as much as 40 ft of wire added. I'd heartily recommend this antenna to anyone!

W5AAF Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2014 02:52 Send this review to a friend
W5AAF  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna is outstanding. Tried the 24 foot one and it didn't get out that well. Called Albert up and he suggested changing to # 14 strained wire at 68 feet long. This length of wire gets me out on all bands 80 to 10 meters
with excellent results. I run it bare foot except on 80 meters. As your aware 80 meters during the summer months has a high noise level until around October. I Put on a 300 watt amp and life is good on 80 meters.

VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2014 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed my Ultimax100 and wow... I can't believe my ears. Super amazing end fed HF antenna. I have to say thank you Albert. You are a superb fine gentleman. I highly recommend the Ultimax100 to anyone wanting an easy to install antenna. The workmanship is just superb. Nicely done and I'm sure it will last for a long long time. Again, thanks Albert. I'm having lots of fun on HF.

AD4BF Rating: 4/5 Apr 25, 2014 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Needs tweaking  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using this antenna in a sloped configuration for 6 months. Over that time I experimented with direct grounding, counterpoise, etc.

I use a RigExpert AA-54. After many different configurations, I have discovered that three non resonant radials and a 53' longwire seem to do the trick. The AA-54 shows an average SWR of 1.6 - 2.0 without a tuner across 10 to 80 meters in the band segments normally associated with CW/digital. Tuning in the phone segment on 10m is a different issue as I have never been able to tune under 1.75:1 there.

The biggest issue I have is the tendency of the core to saturate during longer operating sessions.

A friend is running his end fed with a Balun Designs 5KW 9:1 (Model # 9135) using the same configuration, wire gauge, counterpoise, etc I use. There is no comparison. The Balun Designs 9:1 absolutely blows away the Ultimax matching unit. Lower SWR across the bands, no saturation, and the core stays stable. I have ordered a 9135 but will keep the Ultimax unit as a back up.

The Ultimax is a good antenna for what it is. Comparing it to the Balun Designs unit is like comparing a BMW to a Ford. For those of us with restricted real estate, my advice would be to get your hands on a Balun Designs 9:1. It is significantly more expensive but it just plain WORKS. Keep your Ultimax for your back up, bug out bag, Field Day, etc

W5AAF Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2014 16:22 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding when lengtened  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the original 25 foot antenna, Called this company and explained my problem. They mentioned it would preform at 75 meters in the 68 foot long.

I live in an apartment and hung it from my patio to a 45 foot high tree and it work excellent on all bands with an average SWR o5 1.3.1
Flat across all bands with my internal antenna tuner.

KC7PPF Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2014 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Great DX antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this antenna because of a limited space. We bought a motor home and with the aid if a Jackite telescoping pole,on the back, I now have my station working in our motor home. My first contact was two contacts in Finland. I have made contacts in Spain, England and most stateside locales. I check in daily on the net in Hawaii. And Alaska is no problem. I use a FT-857D at 100 wts. This is a great antenna and I can not sing higher praises for Albert, the designer and builder, the customer service is A++. I gave it a 5 because I couldn't give a higher rating.... it deserves a 10.