Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | ULTIMAX100 End Fed HF Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for ULTIMAX100 End Fed HF Antenna
Length - 24 feet
Weight - 3.5 pounds
Polarization Vertical, Horizontal, Sloped
Connector SO-239-50 ohm
SWR < 2.5:1 (3:1 tuner required all radio tuners work)
Bands from 3.0 MHz to 54 MHz (80 to 6 meters)
Radials - none required
More info: http://www.ultimax-antennas.com

You can write your own review of the ULTIMAX100 End Fed HF Antenna.

KC7PPF Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2014 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Great DX antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this antenna because of a limited space. We bought a motor home and with the aid if a Jackite telescoping pole,on the back, I now have my station working in our motor home. My first contact was two contacts in Finland. I have made contacts in Spain, England and most stateside locales. I check in daily on the net in Hawaii. And Alaska is no problem. I use a FT-857D at 100 wts. This is a great antenna and I can not sing higher praises for Albert, the designer and builder, the customer service is A++. I gave it a 5 because I couldn't give a higher rating.... it deserves a 10.

KC7JNJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2013 22:32 Send this review to a friend
I am liking it   Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these for a while but had not used it. reading these reviews I decided I would give it a go and put it up.. But I wanted the counterpose connector for it. Albert the maker said he would install the connector for free if I sent the unit down to him. When my unit got there it sounded like a box of rocks. Shipping was not kind to it. Albert rebuilt it with all new components and shipped it back for free. The day I put it up I worked Japan on 15meters with 50 watts. I am enjoying radio again. The antenna is very stealth and fits my location. I ran it from the rear peak of my house to a big tree in the front yard. I hooked the counterpose to my metal roof. I am making contacts, listening to shortwave and having fun.

KA3YAN Rating: 4/5 Apr 8, 2013 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Great for 100w confined space!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the ULTIMAX 100 now for about a year. This was my first commercially purchased HF antenna. I initially used it as an apartment antenna for MARS and Ham HF and it worked great. It handles 100 watts without any issues at all. I did work with the manufacturer (Albert, N3YV) to come up with a more ideal solution concerning radiator length. For me, running the radiator as an inverted V over a tree branch, the suggested 49ft length worked perfectly. Albert suggested that 66ft is the maximum length, but I had mixed results with that length.

I would've given the antenna a rating of 5 except that at transmitting power above 100 watts, the matching network easily becomes saturated and fails to perform. At 500 watts PEP, the network collapses within 15 seconds of beginning my SSB transmission giving me an indefinite SWR until I unkey for a second or two.

I did add a lug to the matching unit to add a couple of ground radials. While that didn't help the saturation problem, it does seem to improve my signal strength a bit. I am running two elevated radials along a wooden fence. I'm actually using the two unused radiators (24ft original and 66ft that I made and decided not to use).

If you are dealing with extremely confined space and only plan on transmitting 100 watts or less, I would highly recommend this antenna.

KC2CEP Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2013 20:49 Send this review to a friend
Great End Fed Antenna   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought a Ultimax 100 End fed and put it up as a sloper at about 30 feet from my tower to a tree. Well, it exceeded my expectations and performs great. No problem making contacts with this wire end fed and works almost as good as my vertical. Great addition to my antenna farm. It tunes from 10 to 40 no problem. Hey, its not a beam but if you have space limitations, its a great choice.
Joey N2CEP

K8LEN Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2013 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna for the buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my antenna for 2 years now.
It works great for me, the end is up 25 feet and the wire is set up as a sloper..bands worked 10-40 and no problems at all.I think it is to short for 80 because of the length so did not try on that band.
NO DX but not after it. I work from California to the East Coast and North to South with no problems. Good buy for the money.
By the way I run 50 watts ssb or cw.

N7DMA Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2013 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in a small, one bedroom second floor condo, with (illegal!) access to the attic space. My previous HF antenna was a ladder-line fed doublet, 12 feet per leg. I had poor results on any band lower than 20 meters, but OK performance above. No external antennas allowed here. I'm on the board of directors for my HOA, and I can honestly say that there is no compromise on the CCR's as far as this situation is concerned.

I decided to give the Ultimax 100 antenna a try, and I'm not dissappointed. It's allowed me to get back on 40 meters, a band that I've really missed!

Hey, it ain't a beam, or a full sized dipole, but it does work rather well! At least it's allowed me to get back on 40 CW, and it works well from there on up. No comments on 80 mtrs, as I think it's too short to be effective on that band, but it does hear rather well down there! I'll have to give it a try this winter.

It's the best I can do, in my situation. Bash it if you want, but for me, it works well.

And, no, I'm not in any position to move into the country, where I can put up anything I like. For this city dweller, it works FB. Great SWL antenna, too!

Thanks Albert for a great, ruggedly built product. I expect it to outlive me, and the next owner of this place (when they take me out feet first!) will probably be wondering what it was for!

A great product!

Karl
N7DMA
Tucson, AZ

KD4HGR Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2013 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK I have had this for some time now and this is my second review on this antenna.
First let me say STOP trying to compare this to a full size dipole and calling it crap..For HOA and condo dwellers like me this antenna works. Now its not going to out preform a beam or full size vertical or dipole so dont even try to compare to one..If you have limited space or antenna restrictions like me then this antenna will get you on the air!

F5MVB Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2013 02:51 Send this review to a friend
GOOD JOB  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use this antenna with worth conditions: second floor,the wire follow just half meter wall and balcony of my house,but it works!!!
in one month, work with 100w all continents except pacific when propagation is very fine,but if you can use this antenna with good conditions aeras, you will get a good job especially between 20m to 10m.

N0FIB Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2012 20:44 Send this review to a friend
wonderful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I Live in second floor apartment and need to find a way to do HF. I bought the Ultimax 100 and also the slinky antenna. The slinky is OK for what i had to work with yet the Ultimax 100 worked great. Receive was 2 to 3 s units over the Slinky. and have made more contacts on to Japan and Australia

KB1VXP Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2012 07:19 Send this review to a friend
Worth the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for a year. It is mounted in my attic and my rigs are a Yaesu FT 817 and a Kenwood TS 520. With my FT 817 driving this antenna with a whopping 5 watts, I have made contacts from NH to England, Europe and as Far East as Italy, Russia, Poland etc. when conditions are good, I have had SSB phone QSO's overseas with just 500 milliwatts .also I have made many domestic contacts as well. For the convenience and money, I don't think you can go wrong with this antenna.