Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Kenwood R600 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood R600
Kenwood R600 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $135.00 (used)
Description: General coverage receiver
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/r600.html

You can write your own review of the Kenwood R600.

VE1BLL Rating: 4/5 Feb 25, 2003 23:12 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio - bad heatsink installation  Time owned: more than 12 months
On my R600, the solder joints on the 3-terminal voltage regulators became intermittent due to cracked solder joints. The root cause was the way that the heatsinks were installed so that expansion of the AL heatsink fatigued the solder joints. I fix it by reinstalling the VRs upside down with jumpers. The symptom was an unlocked PLL and it sounded like the tuning knob was going a mile a minute.

Hopefully this info will help anyone that runs into the same problem. It is easy to fix.

Radio is great for relaxed SWL listening. Good audio in wide bandwidth mode.

AC7RG Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2002 14:23 Send this review to a friend
NICE SWL Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I snagged a R-600 off of eBay from a guy that used it at his missionary in South America for years. Bass response is low, but who listens to Shortwave for the music? Very "clean" sounding radio. I have yet to figure out what the Noise Blanker actually does. No detectable changes are made to my ears. I am partial to Kenwood anyway, and this little tough radio is why.

P968CS Rating: 3/5 May 24, 2002 13:57 Send this review to a friend
My first HF receiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The R600 is my first HF receiver, so I'm not particularly qualified to judge it against others, but its worked faultlessly and given me a lot of fun. Critisms would be a rather coarse tuning dial which requires very carefully tweaking to tune to some signals (eg HF fax transmissions) plus some drifting off frequency with time. Front panel controls are simple to understand, but frequency display is only yo nearest 1KHz, so again a little coarse. To sum up a good choice for newcomers to the hobby, steady performance at a budget price.