Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | ULTIMAX8040 DUAL BAND TRAP DOBLE BAZOOKA Help

Reviews Summary for ULTIMAX8040 DUAL BAND TRAP DOBLE BAZOOKA
ULTIMAX8040  DUAL BAND TRAP DOBLE BAZOOKA Reviews: 20 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $99.00
Description: band coverage: 40 & 80 meters amateur bands
coax asamble: RG8X
insulators: PVC HD
polarization: horizontal ,inverted V fashion

More info: http://www.ultimax-antennas.com

You can write your own review of the ULTIMAX8040 DUAL BAND TRAP DOBLE BAZOOKA.

ZL1DT Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2017 01:15 Send this review to a friend
Plays well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Delivered from USA, arrived fast, up and running. Plays very well with good reports so far. very happy with well made antenna. Shame about the exorbitant postage prices from the USA. (Not the sellers fault)

K0PIR Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2017 04:59 Send this review to a friend
Nice SWR Graph  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At the moment I have the center up only 20ft and the ends are approx. 11' off the ground, but even at this limited height the antenna performs well. The SWR is superb and I don't need the tuner on 40 meters at all.

Ultimax Antennas (ULTIMAX-8040) Double Bazooka SWR Graph Using Icom 7300 - https://youtu.be/y1NQ-cfeidw

I am impressed with the build quality. It's so nice to see a man make a great product. Too many times I end up with more junk.

I'll put the center up higher when I can.

Best 73 - Rich, K0PIR

W5DMT Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2016 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Does a really good job!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put this up on my tower at about 30 feet, with the legs suspended downard at about 90 degrees to the top of my wood privacy fence.

Using a tuner, I was able to work the US on 75M, and my first DX Contact was with Guyana on 40M. I ran a net with it last night and during a time when our 40M Late nets are averaging 20 ish checkins, I had 43 checkins. It gets my endorsement as a workhorse. My only complaint, which wouldn't be for DX'ers, is how it's cut on 40M to favor the lower half of the band. I haven't come up with a good way to retune the 40M section without moving the legs around.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2016 18:43 Send this review to a friend
3 years no problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have this antenna at 36' to the apex SE to NW, its down just a little from the 2 dipoles it replaced but a tad quitter, the only thing I have done is use a little more input power when I use the amplifier, also have a G5RV on the same pole going SW to NE at 41' to the apex this is a great choice because having 2 antennas is a lot better inmy book because a choice or 75m & 40m in antennas can make a big difference weather I copy weak signals sometimes, tried testes many
antennas before I came up with this combination that works real good at this QTH for me, sometimes the UM8040 will pull in weak signals some better than the G5RV but sometimes the G5RV with its better signal to noise ration will do better and is an easier copy. The owner of Ultimax is a prince of a guy and know how to build GREATantennas that last. His antennas are more than a 5***** in my book.
........kb6hrt

N8RAT Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2015 08:56 Send this review to a friend
Compromise Antenna With Little Compromise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently tested this antenna at my QTH on behalf of another user and am pleased by the bandwidth and performance.

As expected, results on 40 meters seemed to be indistinguishable from the 40 meter inverted V it temporarily displaced, though no A/B comparisons were made.

80 meter performance was on par with my full sized inverted V mounted at approximately the same height and orientation some distance away. Noticeably improved bandwidth over my full length Inverted V was apparent.

Switching back and forth between the full sized V and the Ultimax 8040, I experienced only a slight decrease in signals both transmit and receive during some QSOs using the Ultimax 8040; no more than an S-unit on my TS-2000. Some stations I have contacted saw a portion of an S-unit difference. In many cases I observed no consistent difference in signals as band conditions fluctuated while switching back and forth between the two antennas. And, in a couple of instances, the Ultimax 8040 was slightly better than the full length inverted V.

Most differences in signals on 80 meters seemed to occur during the daytime in the afternoon, while most of the time at night there was little (if any) change from one antenna to the other.

My current inverted V shows about a 175 kHz bandwidth (2:1 VSWR). The Ultimax 8040 was a bit broader at 210 kHz. Considering the antenna is 103 feet long as opposed to the full sized V, thatís not too bad.

The 80 meter portion of the Ultimax 8040 is easily tunable by pulling equal lengths of additional conductor through the end insulators and securing with black tie wraps.

As far as the legend of a lower noise floor using coaxial dipoles/double bazooka type antennas as compared to conventional wire antennas, I did not observe that.

While far from scientific, my experience would lead me to recommend this antenna, especially for anyone in a situation who does not quite have the room for two separate wire-type antennas on 80 and 40 meters or cannot fit a full sized 80 meter inverted V.

KP4FMD Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2015 11:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine one year ago. The center is at 25 feet from the ground in a 'V' form. Since the antenna will not fit on my lot, I had to bent the ends at two palm trees (using insulators) and tied them in the air with monofilament. Out of the box the antenna works on 80 an 40 meters without a tuner. I use the Palstar AT2KD antenna tuner to work 20,15 and 10 meters. I get great reports on the mentioned bands, using 100 watts. On 80 and 40 meters the antenna is really quiet. The quality of the materials, ease of installation, and the customer service is outstanding.

N8WGM Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2015 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Big signal and well built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the Ultimax 80/40 Double Bazooka Antenna from Albert. He is a retired electronics engineer who knows his stuff. Shipping was quick. He builds these antennas as a hobby but according to Albert, it has become a second career. No wonder, this antenna is excellent and the word is getting out.

I received the package and when I opened it, I noticed how well the antenna is constructed. Very well built and it looks like it will last forever.

Installing this antenna is easy. I had previously installed a fan dipole using a DX engineering 1:1 current balun up at 80 feet in a tree. It was up for a few months and then the wire would break. Fixed it several times and then figured there has to be a better way to get an antenna that would cover more of 40 and 80 meters than the venerable dipole and would last longer. The Ultimax 80/40 seems to be the answer.

I installed it using 750 lb test antenna rope and a 1/2 inch thick piece of lexan for mounting the center support. I used the lexan and the rope to take all the stress off the antenna and use it as a bridge. I supported the Ultimax with nylon wire straps every few feet so there is no stress on any part of the antenna. The antenna is strictly for transmitting and not for support. I installed bungee cords at the end of the rope to make sure that the antenna is able to stay up in the worst wind. So far it works perfectly.

Now as far as receiving goes, this antenna is quite a bit quieter than the dipole and the Zero Five Vertical. I first thought it was not working until I started getting strong signals without the static that I was getting with the other antennas. Very Nice. Transmitting is really nice with excellent signal reports using 100 watts. My TS830 never worked as good! The DX capabilities of this antenna is excellent as it is fairly broad banded on 80 and dead on all across the 40 meter band. Plus it is so quiet with the static that I can hear the faint signals much better than the other antennas. Being up as high as it is (80 feet), it is pretty well omnidirectional.

Adjusting for 1:1 SWR is easy with just adjusting the ends which is easy. Just pull the ends in and cable tie it together. No soldering or cutting is needed.

In conclusion, I have nothing but praise for the Ultimax 80-40 Double bazooka antenna. Well built, engineered for excellence and it just plain works. What more could you want?

KB4BJM Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2015 15:54 Send this review to a friend
Honest man great product too.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The owner of the Company is Albert. I have had both antenna and amplifier purchases from him. He is a honest man and the amplifier that I purchased from him was all that he said. His antennas are quality built and work great.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2013 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After Installing and matching UM8040 DB antenna, checked how it sounded against my referance W9INN 20-40-75m dipole, they work an sound very close on 75m an its more banded. It is slightly quitter than W9INN dipole on 40m but down just a tad. For a two band antenna it works very well, If you have less 100' for an antenna the UM 80/40m does a nice job ***** the antenna is what the manufacture say's it is an well made.........KB6HRT

NJ0F Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2012 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Exceeded Expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this antenna to use this winter until I can get my 40m yagi and 80m vertical up next summer. My expectation was not high. Big was my surprise to be able to work DX on both 40m/80m CW and Phone without too much effort. The antenna is well constructed and I highly recommend it.