Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | MEGA-WATT S-400-12 Help

Reviews Summary for MEGA-WATT S-400-12
MEGA-WATT S-400-12 Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $65.00 + 5.00 SHIPPING
Description: SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY 13.8 VOLTS DC AT 35 AMPS 80% DUTY CYCLE 30 AMPS 100% DUTY CYCLE
More info: http://EBAY SELLER ELECTRONICS_5000

You can write your own review of the MEGA-WATT S-400-12.

KA9HJZ Rating: 4/5 Jul 12, 2017 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Works like they said it would.  Time owned: more than 12 months
After I received this power supply , I got a little worried, it was small and light weight, I thought well I will give it a try and hope for the best. I have been using it with my old Ten Tec Paragon and so far have never had a problem. The reason for the 4.5 rating is because I only transmit around 70 watts. I have run it without ever turning it off for as long as I had it, except for maintenance on my radio and a few tests on my other rig. I also used it with my Kenwood 590 S to see how it worked. The cooling fan is as quiet as it was when I bought it. Maybe I was just lucky and if it does finally go Kaput. it cost me no more than 60 bucks.

KD9WXB Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2017 18:18 Send this review to a friend
Awsome  Time owned: more than 12 months
The megawatt has been an awesome power supply for my shack. I have used it constantly for two years without issue. The owner of megawatt, John, has been so helpful with all my annoying emails about setup and changes I wanted to make my system. I've now bought a second one I used to power my two pill. A super good quality, free of RFI and I love customer service.

KE0EYJ Rating: 1/5 Mar 31, 2017 23:30 Send this review to a friend
Died after 3 months  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Worked fine for three months, but now powers on with no power output, and a high-pitch noise from fan. Will have to contact for warranty work. Sadly, I live overseas now, and will have to try next summer when I return home. I may still be under warranty. These units are really extremely light. Too light. Like the ultra cheapest of the cheap computer power supplies are. I simply turned it off, and it would not turn back on a few hours later. By the way, I really wish Eham would quit editing my review of this. The owner of Megawatt sent me a threatening e-mail, after seeing my negative review of his power supply. He threw a bunch of legalize at me, about what reasons warranty work wouldn't be free for, and then strongly hinted that I would need to update my review, if I expected warranty work. I have never been treated like this by a seller -- ever.

Going to buy a heavy Diamond brand power supply next, and hope they replace this. I will use that for a backup or something.

W3ATT Rating: 4/5 Oct 9, 2016 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Good Power Supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you are careful with your installation, you won't have any birdies or hash with this supply. I once moved my shack around and put the supply under a different desk which produced hash about every 50-60 hHz... Moved the supply back under my computer desk and all hash is gone again. I don't really know why this is, but all that aside, this supply has been running EVERY single day for the past 3 years with no issues. It never bogs down for power when running full 100 watts, CW. And, unlike supplies with big transformers, this thing has absolutely NO AC HUM! The little cooling fan makes a littls bit of noise, but nothing compared to the annoying 60Hz HUM that I was getting from an Astron RS35M (HUGE hum coming from transformer that got very loud on every dit and dah (under load at 80+ watts..)) In summary, I went from this switching supply to the Astron and went back to the Mega-Watt less than 24 hrs later. Just my experience.

KA9HJZ Rating: 4/5 Sep 21, 2016 12:56 Send this review to a friend
So far it works good for its size  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this PS intermittently for over a year, I was surprised how small it was, I use it for a Kenwood TS 590 and My old Ten Tec paragon, I never use more than 70 W power so I don't know how it would perform powering 100 watts or Teletype for any length of time, it does have a on/off switch on the power cord, which is a good idea. bought it from the company on line, which makes it a little cheaper in cost. Be careful when buying from Ebay because there is a look a like that is not as good, being sold at a lesser price The fan does not bother me as far as noise goes, I keep the PS. several feet from the radio.

N8WGM Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2016 22:07 Send this review to a friend
excellent choice so far  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased my S 400-12 off E-bay. It seems to work well so far.

Yes, the fan is rather noisy. I fixed that by installing an external higher quality fan which was much quieter and yet gave more air.

So far it has powered my Kenwood TS480HX rather well along with my Alinco DM-330MV.

I would say that for the price, you cannot beat this power supply. Just be prepared to modify it for better service.

N8WGM Rating: 4/5 Oct 31, 2015 15:57 Send this review to a friend
It seems to work well...fan a bit noisy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So far I recommend this power supply. The fan is a bit noisy but that can be fixed with a better fan.

It does put out the power I need and has no hash on any frequencies I am on. A pretty good deal for around $70.

A lot smaller and lighter than the Astrons that I have used in the past. The Astrons are tanks compared to this but I like small and light.

Will it last as long as my 35 amp Astron? Not sure but the switching technology is taking over.

I recommend this power supply so far. For the price.....well it seems to do the job it was designed to do.

KD9WXB Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2015 13:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my S-400-12 running 24 hours a day for 2 years now. You can't get any better for the price. It truly is one of the few switching power supplies with no RFI.

KE0EYJ Rating: 1/5 Oct 10, 2015 03:54 Send this review to a friend
Died after three months  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

W5JV Rating: 4/5 Jul 17, 2015 08:06 Send this review to a friend
Support As Listed  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of my Mega-Watt S-400-12 supplies failed after about 18 months. I contacted the seller (still on eBay) who promptly replied, verified it had a 24 month warranty and invited me to send it in for repair. The supply was quickly replaced with a new one for $10 shipping cost. The new supply was installed, tested and ran great. I was told "the TL494 was damaged by a voltage spike". The TL494 is a 16 pin regulator IC that is apparently the heart of the power supply's control circuitry and not immune to AC line transients. I thought my station was immune to this because of installed surge suppressors but apparently not. The unit did not fail during use, it was dead when I turned it on to use it. So, from now on I will unplug it when not using it. Hope this helps someone else. I'm leaving 4 stars because it seems like in this day and age designers could have learned how to protect their A/C inputs from routine voltage spikes by wiring in MOV's or whatever they use for this issue.