Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | ICOM AT-180 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM AT-180
ICOM AT-180 Reviews: 41 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $499.95
Description: Matching Auto-Tuner for the IC-706 Series
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM AT-180.

K1FBI Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2013 20:11 Send this review to a friend
Works Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have no idea what some are talking about. This tuner is fast and tunes higher SWR than it is advertised to do. I am very pleased with how it works.

VA2DV Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2013 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Perfect mate of the IC-7200  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have tried 2 others models before this one with my Icom IC-7200 , an LDG Z11-proII that was continuously retuning even after all possible things corrected and a lousy SGC MAC-200 that will not go any lower than 2:1 SWR.I was able to return everything and finaly ordered an AT-180 from Icom despite it's limited advertised range.I was first surprised by the weight of the unit.Heavy components.I do like the complete integration with my rig.No more random retuning and 1:1 everytime.
My particular unit will even tune up to 4:1 and 5:1 in certain situations so this is a great extra.It's certainly costly compared to aftermarket units but it's money well invested.
No surprise this tuner as been around for many years.

VA3QRP Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2012 17:39 Send this review to a friend
works great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned one for 13 yrs and have had no problems tuning everything from ham sticks to random wire to dx-lb+'s. Just keep in mind it's 16-150ohm, so of course it doesn't have the range of a roller.

It has survived mobile for more than a decade bouncing in my truck and jeep, can't argue with that.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2010 23:56 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I re-purchased the AT-180 tuner and 706Mk2 transceiver to use as a back-up rig, also for 2 meter SSB and 10 meter FM simplex and duplex. I tried the LDG IT-100 and it did not tune worth a damn! I remembered how well the first AT-180 had worked, so back the LDG went and in came the AT-180. Yes, it's not cheap. Yes, it doesn't have super large memory. But it works extremely well and unless you are trying to tune a coat hanger (which the LDG will not do) the AT-180 will be perfect with most any antenna. The LDG is marketing their IT-100 at 706 and other Icom rigs, but it falls short! I even tried one of their high power auto tuners and it also failed to a good job. You will enjoy ease of operation and solid quality with the AT-180.

W2HES Rating: 0/5 Jan 15, 2010 14:10 Send this review to a friend
Returned for refund  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The first time I used this item it tuned my 20 meter dipole to 1.2:1 with my IC-718. Then I tried 40 meters and got 1.2:1. So far OK. Then I re-tuned to 20 meters - the exact same frequency as before - and got 2.2:1! Tuned back to 40 M and got 1.2:1 went back to 20 m and was stuck at 2.2:1!

Tried everything I could think of (cycle power, etc.) but no luck. The next day the same exact thing happened.

I returned it to HRO ASAP to meet the 10 day return policy requirement.

My antenna is in the attic - dry, no ice, and no wind problems. I can't recommend this tuner to anyone.

NC2F Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2009 09:10 Send this review to a friend
A good experience with the AT-180  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I don't own one at the moment, but I used one for about 5 months with a 706MKII with an OCF and it brought the SWR into 1:1 wherever I parked it. I should note that the OCF where I was operating was no worse than 2.8:1 on any given band I was working on at the time. To ask any tuner to "fix" a bad antenna isthe wrong appraoch, IMO. Put the attention and $$ to the antenna, then the use a tuner for the finer matching. These tuners should be used with good antannas to begin with, not antennas that can be 6:1 or more SWR at certain places.

Build and the performance was always as expected doing the intended job. I'd recommend one of these if you happen upon one.

N8FXH Rating: 1/5 May 8, 2009 07:53 Send this review to a friend
good mobile tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
The capacity to tune on this over priced mobile tuner is poor. It definitely won't handle anything higher than 3 to 1 ,which most rigs will handle without a tuner. It's only redeeming feature is that it's quiet but maybe that's because it's not doing much. For use with a mobile whip which is close to resonance this piece of Icom Failure would be OK, but don't expect it to handle a multiband wire antenna. The real price for this thing should be $150 not what Icom wants.

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2009 21:38 Send this review to a friend
Re-ordered the At-180  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased (again) another new 706 to use with my 756 Pro III, as a back-up and for Ten meter FM repeaters. I went "cheap" by buying the new LDG IT-100 tuner. After I discovered that it doesn't tune 10 meter FM much below 2:1, I decided to call it quits. I re-ordered the AT-180. As I recall, it was fast, quiet, and an excellent unit. The vertical that I'm using has an SWR of around 2.7:1 on 29.600. There is no excuse for the LDG. I've had other problems with LDG autotuners in the past and ended up sending them back, too! Save yourself grief and spend the extra bucks for the very best, the AT-180. If your using the G5RV and the SWR is high (over the 3:1 limit) you might want a multi-band inverted-vee with overall lower SWR (mostly below 2:1). Try an Off Center Fed Dipole. Most all your SWR with be lower and if you plan to use an amp that is fussy with an antenna that has high SWR, it should be content with the OCF. I have an excellent article on OCF's if you would like to read it.

E-mail me at: tbgspaceship@yahoo.com

N8FXH Rating: 2/5 Jan 24, 2009 13:19 Send this review to a friend
expensive joke  Time owned: more than 12 months
The more I used this tuner the less I like it. Any LDG Tuner has more capacity to tune an unbalanced antenna than this thing. It is only good for use with a beam where the SWR is less than 2 to 1. It looks nice and is relatively quiet but is very limited

KX5F Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2008 09:17 Send this review to a friend
Worked fine for me.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had one for several years with a 706 and a 706mrk2, never had one problem used it mobile and in the shack. Also Had a LDG tuner, it seemed the hype was better than the actual tuner. 73 Patrick kx5f