Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | ICOM AT-180 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM AT-180
ICOM AT-180 Reviews: 41 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $499.95
Description: Matching Auto-Tuner for the IC-706 Series
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM AT-180.

N8FXH Rating: 4/5 Oct 28, 2008 04:51 Send this review to a friend
Good not perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this tuner for about 14 months now and most of the time it delivers but when I replaced my old fan dipole cut for 80-40-17 with a WA2NAN G5RV, I noticed the dreaded retuning while talking syndrome on 17 meters only. Well I switched radios to my old FT 890 and guess what and 17 laid down to 1.1 to 1 and it also tuned 30 Meters down to 1.2. I guess I had have to use the old rig for 17. That is sad. but the AT 180 quietly tunes everything else just fine.

G0VTI Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2008 01:55 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought an Icom AT-180 quite a few years ago and have had excellent service from it. It has tuned my various half size G5RV antennas over the years perfectly on all bands 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10Mtrs. It does not tune on 80Mtrs but the half G5RV is not for this band.It also tunes my vertical for 6Mtrs very well

I mistakenly decided to sell my old AT-180 and purchase a new LDG-7000 to go with my new IC-7000 rig. The LDG write up convinced me this was a great tuner and the one for me.

The tuner was easily installed and worked well when demand from IC-7000 was received but that where the good new ended. In my opinion the tuner was a pile of junk. It would not tune my half G5RV antenna anywhere near as good as my old AT-180. It was veruy noisy as well.

I was unable to tune my antenna on 30 mtrs my favourite CW band or on 17 mtrs. On the other bands it would tune them but not to the standard of the AT-180

After a few months of struggling I sold the LDG-7000 and I am now the proud owner of a brand new Icom AT-180 and straight away all bands tuned perfectly on my half G5RV.

Not cheap here in the UK, not as many memories but solid, reliable, tunes in seconds with no noise.

Well done again Icom and thanks.

N8FXH Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2007 19:32 Send this review to a friend
So far so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I Bought one of these tuners about six weeks ago to use with an Icom 718 and it works very well and is very quiet. I have no complaints so far.

N7KOM Rating: 4/5 Sep 12, 2007 08:39 Send this review to a friend
available hook-ups were a surprise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought an at180 for my ic-718 and as you know there were no instructions with it but the surprise was the available hook-ups on the at180. It came with 2,13 pin and 1,8 pin (labeled ACC2)female plugs ready to be plugged into. This was great because I plan to hook up my radio for psk31, etc and I was worried about not having the plugs available to use. The at180 works great with my ic-718 by the way
The 4 rating was because of the lack of paper-work with this unit. It had none,which has been mentioned before. 73's

KE7GUE Rating: 3/5 Jul 27, 2007 16:42 Send this review to a friend
AT-180  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a ICOM 7000 and it is a great radio. I also bought the AT-180 that on some frequencies seems to automatically tune good. However, on some bands, it tunes up good 1:1.2 and as I am talking, VSWR drops out after a several seconds and I can watch it go out. I do a manual retune and it happens again after a few seconds. On other bands, it seems to hold VSWR for longer time. a G5RV-M (160-10 meter) antenna is used in an inverted V with ladder line to coax feed as recommended. I finally bought a manual tuner and it is possible now for me to talk for some time with 1:1.5. I am not sure why AT180 does not hold.

AG7K Rating: 0/5 Feb 8, 2007 16:42 Send this review to a friend
ICOMS MOST USELESS PRODUCT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Icom makes some great products, but the AT-180 is not one of them. The cheapest LDG tuner blows it away. I will admit that it looked good next to the 706 MII G but would not reduce a 3:1 down to 2:1. I sent it back to Icom , they sent it back with a note that it was ok. That is it. I gave it away to sweeten the deal on a used 706 that I sold. I am using the LDG tuners now and have had zero problems so far(maybe lucky?) I still have the 706 and it has been a great radio the last 4 years. Buy a 706, forget the tuner.

NC2F Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2007 09:42 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this tuner since buying it new with several different radios. iCom 718, IC-706MKIIG and my latest acquisition, the IC-7000.

My antenna is a Carolina Windom 137' for 80 through 10. This tuner tunes all the bands and frequencies I use to a sold 1:1 ratio match.

For those using G5RV antennas, I see you have found the AT-180 works well with that to, and just think about that, the G5RV without a trans-match is not resonant on ANY of the ham bands. So this tuner must be really good. Though I would still not use a G5RV under any circumstance because of it's lack of resonance on the ham bands.

I would recommend anyone spend the few extra dollars on this well-built AT-180 tuner over say MFJ or the LDG stuff. In this case, you're not just paying for the brand name alone.

I'll have my AT-180 for as long as I am operating radios...

K3DAV Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2006 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Best little tuner.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a follow up to my last review. I have had the last 4 months now to play with this wonderful piece of technology. The AT-180 is a superb top quality tuner that goes beyond the call of duty. On any HF frequency, it tunes itself without you even knowing it, and quietly. On 6 meters, a single touch of the tune button and you are tuned in a few seconds. I have never heard such a quiet tuner in my life. You have to have absolute silence in the room to hear the little motors tune. No loud relays clicking through your head. I have never seen it tune and leave an SWR above 1.2:1. on any frequency.

I tried the LDG 100Pro, and it couldn't tune much below a 2.1:1 on most frequencies. Most of the time, it wouldn't even tune, and kept going into bypass mode. What a joke. What a waste of time and money.

So if you have an Icom 706MK2G and need the PERFECT tuner,search no more. The Icom AT-180 is the final answer. This tuner was made for the 706, and becomes an important part of the radio. Just hook it up, and forget it's there. It may cost more than other models, but it's worth every penny. This is one case where you DO get what you pay for.

G7CNF Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2006 04:29 Send this review to a friend
Does what it's meant to.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought a faulty radio on eBay which came bundled with an AT-180. Fixed the radio, tried the tuner and bingo!

I have used an awful lot of different tuners over the years, manual, auto, built-in, Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu. This one does what it's meant to; i.e. it works within specification. Don't expect it to tune a random long wire with no balun.

I really like its quietness, especically compared to the MFJ-993 series with their chattering relays.

The AT-180 is reasonably quick, very quiet and has tuned all moderate mis-matches I have thrown at it from top band to 6m. No complaints from me. A worthy 5 out of 5.

K7ZP Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2005 14:45 Send this review to a friend
WORKS WELL FOR MY APPLICATION  Time owned: more than 12 months
My AT-180 has operated as described.

My question to all here is why do folks rate down a piece of hardware that is performing to spec..... the AT-180 is spec'd to operate 16.6 - 150 ohms HF or 3:1 and 20 - 125 ohms or 2.5:1 at 50 Mhz.
The specs are on the Icom web site.
The good side of our reviews is that they help to make new prospective buyers understand what they are about to purchase.

Frank