Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Henry 2KD Classic Help

Reviews Summary for Henry 2KD Classic
Henry 2KD Classic Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,795
Description: 80-10M w/WARC, desktop pair 3-500, 1500 watts out for 100 in
More info: http://www.henryradio.com/

You can write your own review of the Henry 2KD Classic.

KB9ENH Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2002 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Good Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought my 2KD used from a ham. Realy good amp use
on a Alph Delta sloper on enywhere from 80-17 meters. Has a lot of drive about 1300 whatts out with 100 in from a Yeasu FT-847. Only thing I did
to the amp so far is put in a new set of 3-500ZG tubes in the amp but old tubes still has full output.

K6AN Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2002 14:01 Send this review to a friend
A Real Work Horse  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this amp for over 6 months now.
I bought it from the orginial owner. It was built in the early 1990's.
I use it primarly on 80 meters, although it performs well on all the bands. It gives me a nice 1300 watts out with 95 watts in. It has the original tubes, that seem to hold up well over all the years. This amp has not been back to Henry. Other than oiling the fan, and blowing out the dust, it has been trouble free.
I use a Kenwood TS-2000 as an exciter. It is a good match. No bad interaction.
The one thing every Henry owner knows about the amp, is that the fan is not quiet. I set it across the room were I can keep an eye on it, but the noise is low enough to operate comfortably.
If you can pick up one on the use market they will cost between $800.00 to $1200.00, depending on the condition. It's a solid, proven amplifier with a long history of good service. Henry Radio stand behind that amp, and are very helpful with questions on the maintenance & operation.
I would recommend you operate the amp on 220 volts.

W4JGK Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2002 05:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent service over a long period of time  Time owned: more than 12 months
After reading the reviews on the Henry 2KD-Classic,I had to make a few comments. I've had mine since 1983. Admittedly, I don't use it on a daily basis but I have used it regularly all these years; still using the same finals. It still puts out maximum output without any effort. And the amp has been trouble free from the time I purchased it.
It is not the quietest, but many amps share the same ailment, noisy blower units.
I would buy this amp again.

W7ZJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2001 16:35 Send this review to a friend
Heavy Duty  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having owned a Henry 2KD Classic now since 1991 I can say that it is a very reliable easy to use HF AMP. Runs 1300 watts output on 80 to 10 meters with 100 watts or more drive. This thing is very solid and heavy...80lbs i think. The massive band switch is not for the limp wristed out there. The Amp has tolerated missloaded conditions at this QTH on occasions without a problem. In the 10 years of service the Amp has had a failure of a diode in the metering circiut. The service at Henry was fantastic as they helped to diagnose the problem, and sent the needed part to repair all over the phone depriving the UPS folks of a bit of cash flow. The amp is easy to service even for a person with large hands...lots of room for work. The fan is too loud for a desktop amp however but that is a minor complaint as I use phones most of the time. The total cost for the amp at this QTH now equates to ten bucks and some change a month...to have a workhoarse sittin on the desk...10 years and still works as it did on the day I got it !!! W7ZJ

AB8BC Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2001 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a few amps in my ham career and this one is one of the tops in my opinion. I have had it approx. 1 year now, use it primarily on 20 and 40 meter and generally run 600-800watts out with 40 watts in. It's heavy, well made and easy to work on for the most part. I bought this unit used from a friend for $400.....very good price! It has it's battle scars, is a bit noisy with the fan (as the other om said) but all in all the best $400 I ever spent! Had to call Henry for a couple of parts and techs were very responsive to my needs. If you want a good amp, fair/honest service, I would recommend Henry hands down.

Anonymous Rating: 3/5 Oct 12, 1999 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Agricultural Strength  Time owned: unknown months
After 13 or so years, this amplifier is still very reliable. Perhaps it's not the quietest amplifier on the market - mine exhibits considerable fan noise, despite changing the fan twice. However, other than replacing the HV capacitors, the amplifier has never failed, and is still running on the original tubes. The support from Henry Radio has also been very responsive. (However, the manual that came with the amplifier was somewhat 'cheap'.)