Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Pro Micro Headset/Mic Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Pro Micro Headset/Mic
Heil Pro Micro Headset/Mic Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $110.00
Description: "Heil's newest addition to the Pro Series is the Pro Micro. It's virtually a miniature version of the Pro Set. Created for long-term comfort and superior performance, it doesn't cover the entire ear like the Pro Set-- a feature requested by by some hams."
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/ProMicro.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil Pro Micro Headset/Mic.

CT1FJC Rating: 2/5 May 5, 2014 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Poor quality  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had the original Micro with the HC5 element which worked very well as did the headphones, until the cord became intermittant.
So I purchased the new Pro-Micro from a UK Kenwood dealer, first noticed that the earphone pads had changed to a cheap foam instead of the leather pads on the original. The HC6 insert is OK if you use the TX EQ on the Kenwood TS-590 or TS-2K, but the headphone speakers left and right produces a distorted sound with a sort of screech around 1.5kHZ, terrible !. Returning them to the UK was not a cost option, so I took the old and new pair apart and swaped the speakers, and the ear pads. Success the headphones are working OK and are more comfortable with the old pads. The new and old speakers look exactly the same, but must be damaged in production, very poor quality control. Would I buy Heil again, certainly not until I see improved performance and quality control

N0DQS Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2013 18:58 Send this review to a friend
like them  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 of the newer pro micros with the HC-6 element, I like the rcv audio and so far I like the element and seems versitle with the eq in my radio. I also have 3 of the earlier pro micros with the HC-4 element and use 2 of them mobile and really like them for that use as you can still hear the surrounding sounds, I have repaired the cord where it goes into the headset once on each of these but man I give them a hard work out tugging on them etc and feel this is my on issue from my hard use. Use them in my Rover for VHF and up contesting and can't be beat for that use in my book. HC-4 works well for Weak signal work. These are the only mics I Use and have 2 in the shack and been in use for nearly 10 years.

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2012 19:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Headphones  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had my headphones for about ten years and no problems at all. The H4 and H5 mic elements still work well. I also have the footswitch which comes in handy during contests even though I work mostly CW. Have logged over 26,000 stations since 1999 which proves the headphones are made to last.

W2OSR Rating: 3/5 Feb 21, 2012 16:29 Send this review to a friend
We will see  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The head set is back from Heil. So far it is working. Maybe the third time is the charm

W2OSR Rating: 1/5 Feb 1, 2012 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Broken again  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Just got mine back from the Heil Hospital. This time the left ear piece was dead on arrival. This is the second time Heil has tried to fix it. Bob's got one more chance to fix it.

KG0MN Rating: 4/5 Jan 23, 2012 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Not Perfect but works very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was given the Heil Pro Micro Headset/Mic as a present from my wife and I have used it for both rag-chewing and a bit of contest work this last weekend. When comparing it to the Kenwood MC-80 microphone that I generally use reports have been that the headset has a bit more base response which is fine for rag-chewing but not for DX or contest work. I will try adjusting the setting on my TS-590 and see if that helps with the audio and report back on my results.

W2OSR Rating: 1/5 Jan 20, 2012 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Not Pleased  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Just received mine back from the Heil Hospital. In less than 1 hour of use I lost the sound in the left ear piece again. I brought it at the Dayton Hamvention in 2011. Doesn't say much for Heil quality. Cost me $99.99 new. Now add in the return shipping times two. For now I am using a $14.95 Gear Head computer head set that works just as well.

PA1HR Rating: 3/5 Jan 1, 2012 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Overprized and I prefer HC-5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the 2011 version of the Pro Micro Dual Side with HC-6 element.

The wearing is ok. It is very lightweight.

The sound of the audio is good.

The sound of the modulation is good, but not without changing the EQ of my FTdx5000d. Without the EQ the headset's modulation is very low (bassy) and not very nice to hear and not good readible. So I changed various settings of the EQ untill it sounds like it should sound with SSB on HF.

I really do not understand why Bob Heil does not sell headsets with the HC-5 element anymore. The HC-5 element was excellent, without tuning the EQ!!

The price of this headset IMHO is too high. 75% of the price would be conform its quality.

W5KG Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2006 09:11 Send this review to a friend
Good not Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had both Pro-set and Pro Micro and both worked very well on Kenwood, Yaesu, and Icom (756pro) but not on Ten-Tec Paragon 2.
I do use the Pro Micro on the Paragon 2 now while using W2IHY dual band eq with very good results.
Bob Heil will tell you not to use HC5 or HC4 elements with older Icoms such as IC735.

Don, W5KG

N9ESH Rating: 2/5 Apr 6, 2002 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Not impressed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the older version of this headset with the HC-5 element. My impression is that this set-up is way over rated.

The headset is uncomfortable to wear for any length of time and the cords are too stiff (easily tangled) and WAY TOO SHORT. When the ear pads wore out, I removed the mike boom and attached it to a set of Sony stereo headphones. I threw the Heil headset out. Even with the short mike cable, itís a far more comfortable set-up.

As for the HC-5 element, itís adequate for general use with my Ten-Tec Omni-V. But, I get superior audio reports with my old secondhand D104. The HC-5 is useless on my IC-735 without an outboard preamp. For the Icom, the 444D is the way to go.