Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TH-D72 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TH-D72
Kenwood TH-D72 Reviews: 50 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $499.00
Description: Kenwood APRS dual band Transceiver
More info: http://www.kenwood.com

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TH-D72.

IZ1PON Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 07:39 Send this review to a friend
TH-D72E: Eccellente  Time owned: more than 12 months
Il nuovo TH-D72E risulta un ricetrasmettitore portatile VHF-UHF di grande interesse.
Le principali qualità sono:
- GPS,APRS, ECHOLINK,TNC di serie integrati nella radio
- GPS in classe SiRFstar III ad alte prestazioni per la radiolocalizzazione
- Interfacciabilità totale tramite porta USB
- Pannello frontale ergonomico completo ed estremamente intuitivo
- Elevata autonomia della batterie (non riscontrabile in altri portatili)
- Sistema SKY COMMAND SYSTEM II che rende pilotabile da remoto una stazione HF
- Software di controllo Kenwood MCP-4A(scaricabile gratuitamente)molto ben fatto ed intuibile
- Nella confezione vi sono tuti gli accessori più utili (cavo USB, caricatore universale...)
- Ergonometria d'uso eccezionale!
Infatti l'ergonometria d'uso è a dir poco stupefacente, "cade bene in mano" e nonostante le dimensioni risulta estremamente pratico!
Anche dopo ore di utilizzo non si avverte il fastidioso indolenzimento del dito sul PTT tipico dei portatili.
In definitiva tutto quello che serve per un traffico in portatile VHF-UHF di alto livello.

VA6GC Rating: 4/5 Sep 5, 2016 06:11 Send this review to a friend
First Kenwood radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a Yaesu guy! I bought this unit because I wanted an APRS function when riding my bike (Honda CTX 1300).
At first I was a little overwhelmed with the initial setup so I bought programing software from RT Systems. This was a great start but the software is missing a lot of radio options.
The manual is good support with a lot of information. I went to the internet to get a quick setup from fellow hams/clubs.

Overall I am happy, for $510 CDN it's a good radio. My friend with a similar radio says he puts the TH-D72A in a saddlebag and rides for 8 hrs. transmitting APRS info on the supplied battery.

I copied frequency files direct from my VX-6R program (RT Systems) and use band "B" for communications.

Glen
VA6GC

W8MPX Rating: 0/5 May 15, 2016 17:52 Send this review to a friend
RX speaker stop working  Time owned: more than 12 months
i had my Kenwood D72A and the Rx stop working send to repair 125.00 it cost more the labor than the 25 cents speaker and i have my for 4 years the radio i baby it have a cover all the time , the radio never was out of the house one day i was monitoring and i didn't hear no one. have to send it for repair cost was 125.00 . Soon i got the radio i sold the radio. Kenwood know this problem and they don't do anything to fix the problem they keep putting the same 25 cents speaker. i love the radio it is the best Ht aprs out there but i will stay away from Kenwood Ht. This radio was all the time in the house ,do you imagine this radio being in the outdoor. Kenwood you know about this problems for years fix the problem we paid to much money for this radio and you put a cheap speaker

W1RJZ Rating: 2/5 May 7, 2016 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Questionable Parts Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
This HT has lot's of features and good audio--when it's working. I don't use this HT much--in fact, I baby it. Yet it has had to go in for repairs twice in less than two years. First it needed a speaker replacement (under warranty). I used a Kenwood external mic and it stopped working-it just beeped every 3-4 seconds. I found out that it needed a "flexible PC board" (not under warranty). Yet, my $35 backup HT that is abused keeps on ticking.

AE7G Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2015 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Well integrated data radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I been into APRS for about fifteen years and I have used both the original D700 and a Tracker 2. I have also used D PRS tracking through a D Star radio.

This radio is a major step forward in the APRS world. I do a lot of bicycle support and having a single unit that can both allow voice communication and full APRS operation including the gps, all in one compact handheld, is a huge convenience.

There are some stand alone APRS devices that cost less but they aren't also a fully functional quality dual band HT.

Kenwood is more fair than other HT providers in that it does not charge extra for programming software. In addition accessories for earlier models, including their handheld microphones and power adapters, work with this radio.

I was able to get the radio configured and up and running fairly easily following the instructions. There were no good instructions available for configuration in APRSpoint, but I got it figured out with a little work.

Everything works fine and the unit can be used in an event to provide simultaneous APRS and voice function in one self-contained unit.

The one thing I found annoying is the constant data noise from APRS traffic. I had to turn the speaker audio volume completely down to zero on the data band to restore a comfortable listening experience.

N7KFD Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2015 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Another Fine Kenwood Product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
To start with I own a TH-D7A, a TH-K20 and recently purchased the TH-D72 and I don't see the sensitive PTT that others have talked about in any of them and all of them take the same amount of pressure to activate. The D72 is a fine radio packed with features that have already been discussed here, my only addition is that they all work great. The display is crisp and clear and I love the back light. Putting your own picture in the start up screen is a little tricky but the result is cool. I've compared the stock antenna with a diamond that I bought for the D7A and I believe they are right in line with each other in that neither one out performs the other.

The battery easily lasts all day if the GPS and APRS are turned off, if they are turned on you'll need to have a spare but they can be found online reasonably cheap. As expected from Kenwood the menu system is easy to navigate and most settings there are set and forget and any functions you will need to access on a regular basis can be done through the keypad. The USB port is a nice addition and was very happy Kenwood included it and the free programming software is also easy to navigate and includes access to the memory options so they can be programmed in your computer and downloaded in to the radio.

Pressing the function key brings you into a different menu system than the "Menu" key and a battery level indicator resides there which was also a nice addition. The built in GPS makes APRS much easier compared to the D7A, I don't have to carry a separate GPS unit anymore. I haven't used all of the GPS features but it looks like it can be used for more than just APRS such as setting way points and tracking.

I really like this radio but I'm a big Kenwood fan so my opinion is a little biased. It's definitely an improvement over the D7A with more features and plenty of upgrades. If you're in the market for an APRS handheld I highly recommend this radio.

SA6CKE Rating: 4/5 Sep 14, 2014 07:17 Send this review to a friend
Good radio, sensitive PTT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my experience with the TH-D72E radio.

I can agree that the PTT is sensitive and that it's very easy to accidentally push it. It's not critical, but it has happened more than once when I have had it in my pocket.

Another thing that I have found out is that the charger adapter (100-240V, 50/60Hz, 0.3A, 13.8V DC 0.65A, CE-marked SPS-12-011) is not filtering the 50Hz AC from the grid very well. It's actually REALLY bad, however it's not the radio itself that's at fault. I don't know if others have experienced the same thing or if I have a bad charger. Flipping the cord doesn't make any difference. I also have noted that plugging in the charger to the radio while it's on makes it restart (which at least to me seems a bit "cheap" today)

What I missed in the package was the desktop stand (KSC-32 or similar) to use when charging. Nicer than have to flip up the rubber seal and plug in the charger. Lowers the wear on the rubber seal as well. (And the Wouxun I have did come with a stand)

Aside from that it's a good radio and worth it's price anyway. The hardest thing with setting up APRS was to figure out which frequency to use - and the major problem was revealed to be that I lacked a digipeater within hearing distance of my QTH - hardly the fault of the radio.

The supplied software allowing for grouping of frequencies/channels is good. However why can't there be a standard on how to exchange frequency information? It would be great if you as I have a mix of radios of different brands.

The scan function is also good, you can select frequencies to exclude so that you can scan only the needed local repeaters. Even here I would like to have had different scan groups depending on situation - e.g. one group when in my home area and an another when I'm in a different area. But this is of course the problem with most radios.

VE2LAM Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2013 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Nice dualbander, and interesting APRS radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I an on my third week with this radio.
I simply love it's GPS and APRS implementation: once you get the concept, it's way more simpler and intuitive than the Yaesu VX-8GR or 8DR (this one needs additional options to be on par).
If you're like me and like listening to public services outside our ham bands, it's one of the first HTs on which I don't have to replace the original antenna for a better performer.
As on other Kenwood radios I had (TH-25, TH22, TH-F6A, TH-K2AT), the audio is "hissy": this radio has good volume capacity, but still, it is accompanied by this high frequencies hiss typical of Kenwood ham HTs.
The GPS is quick to get a fix, I love the fact I can trace my wanderings and later dump them on the PC and have them displayable on "GPS Visualizer" (do a Google search for this).

With GPS on, APRS running, and the radio scanning freqs on the other band, the battery drains rather quickly (faster than on the Yaesu's used the same way, anyway).
It's amazing that if you leave the radio on a repeater freq on one side, and broadcast APRS on the other, your friends and the public can read on which freq you are standing by, when looking at your info on APRS.FI, for example.
I also like Kenwood's implementation of memory groups use: hold MR button 2 sec to scan all groups, or hold the MHz button 2 sec to scan a selected group; simple, one button and one-handed, and effective.
The USB connectivity is very nice and simple to use also: no buttons or menus tweaking and pushing, just plug and it connects! The accompanying software is also simple but useful.
And as opposed to many other radios, the battery indicator tells you well in advance that you are running out of juice... Even with NO bars showing on the battery indicator, I am still able to use the radio for a few long minutes on the local repeater, at high power, way long enough to close a rag chew contact and go QRT.
I give 4 stars because of the battery drain, and for the annoying hissy audio. Very nice radio that will provide hundred of hours of practical use with its GPS, and same thing for the APRS.

KD8LQT Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2012 20:01 Send this review to a friend
ALL IN ONE   Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAD THIS RADIO FOR 1 YEAR NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH SENSITIVE PTT OR ANY PROBLEM USED FOR APRS AND FOR MY ECHOLINK VERY GOOD HT

KC0KHA Rating: 2/5 Nov 8, 2012 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Nice HT, has a very touchy PTT. Repaired 2 m transmit twice.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio has a very weak spring in the PTT button.Thus causing the radio to transmit accidentally with only slight pressure. This needs to be fixed. I used one THD-7AG for many years and it had a perfectly balanced PTT button. The radio has also needed to be repaired two times because the 2 meter band has had a diode malfunction and the radio then transmits only about 2 millliwatts or less. The 70 cm band continued to function.

In all other respects, the radio functions as advertised, APRS, GPS, and all other functions work great. I used this radio in Mongolia for a full field season in the summer of 2012 of hard use, but it really should last longer. Repairs out of warranty are expensive. It might not be worth it to go with this if you need to repair the unit.